US Vogue October 2022 : Jennifer Lawrence by Tina Barney

With The Woman King being released in September I thought we may finally get a Viola Davis cover. Not crazy about this cover, but I’m not crazy about Jlaw…

it’s an underwhelming cover. unfortunately. and mostly because of that hideous thing she’s wearing! I like the shot with the time pink skirt…
I think she’s a great actress and that her career will continue to blossom. she was away of the spotlight for a period and that’s understandable (her 2nd miscarriage, Covid and finally being a Mom).

I love her onscreen and can’t wait to watch her movies (she has plenty of projects coming up).

Weirdly enough, and I assume im alone in this, I am feeling something when she's looking at me.
Demi dead in a corner, dressed like a pastry.
I'm lowkey loving this pic of her.

I can't stand JLaw, so... i know Tina's work, I had a period of studying photographers like her, Jeff Wall, Nan Goldin, Thomas Ruff, Cindy Sherman, and so many others. She's a great photographer, liked her shots as a young man. I don't like this cover, but I can't be objective because, again, Lawrence is one of my least favorite celebs. I was going to dislike this, even if the picture was good.

I'm flabbergasted lmao Like, what happened? Tina Barney going straight to my burn book, right next page to Nigel Shafran. It takes serious skill to make Jennifer, who has had a stellar track record of US Vogue covers up until now, look this dull. The layout, the lighting, the shadow, the wall, I can't believe how completely awful it all is. But more than anyone else, I have to blame whoever chose and approved that terrible shot as a cover. I do love the shot of Jennifer in a floral dress standing next to the floral wallpaper, it looks very pretty. The rest I could've done without.

The background reminds me the august issue. The same pale Yellow

Tina Barney is an incredible photographer but somehow the combination of her + Jennifer + Tonne, does not work. She has photographed celebrities to much better effect in recent times: just look at what she did with Austin Butler, or even Beanie Fedelstein.

The styling is not good. Why is she wearing a 1980s quinceanera dress on the cover? And all those other looks in the editorial do not suit her at all.

There's always that issue of non-fashion photographers/videographers/cinematographers etc doing fashion orientated shoots and failing abysmally when their usual work showcases fashion better than when they're trying to be "fashion". Looking over Barney's work again, her family and singular portrait styles evoke a stronger fashion editorial feel than when she goes typical editorial and campaign. Fashion imagery is supposed to bring life to the garments, not some expressionless sod. Although that matches Jennifer's mood so I guess t*t for tat.

I wonder how much Dior paid for this, considering how god awful that dress looks on the cover.

That Dior dress is also so basic, I even miss her failing to look good in a Raf Simons design. As much as she and Raf's Dior were like oil and water, at least her appearances were more...well, for a lack of better word, interesting. With MGC's Dior, she just looks drab.

She looks like she's being held at gunpoint. I don't like this cover.
Editorial is a non starter. I like JLaw tho. Great actress.
American Vogue is such a waste of trees tho.

she kind of looks like a slightly medieval hostage on the cover

Last time I heard about Tina Barney is that she shot 2006S/S ad for Bottega Veneta....lol how time flies!

The ed is very dull and souless. Feels like Slim Aarons wannabe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->