US Vogue September 2012 : Lady Gaga by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

^ I received mine today too but somehow from the glossy/matt paper. In my case, I checked out that everytime I received my copies from my suscription the paper is glossy but in the newsstands when I bought the same issue (because mine got lost or arrived later or whatever) then the paper is matt. I don't get it but it's fine as long as I get the copy :smile:)

well, here on newsstands we always have them with glossy covers and I thought that the thin, mat covers are generally for subscriptions (because they're lighter?) since all of my GQs are like that, but this is the first time I get VOGUE with such cover, so I was surprised.

Gaga's ed is just boring, bland and uninspired. Very dull. The most interesting shot is the one with Marc Jacobs' crazy hat. The rest is sooo boring and I bothered with her trying too hard to look so fierce expression in the most of shots

well, here on newsstands we always have them with glossy covers and I thought that the thin, mat covers are generally for subscriptions (because they're lighter?) since all of my GQs are like that, but this is the first time I get VOGUE with such cover, so I was surprised.

I remember last year - it was also September cover, the cover material was mat and wasn't shiny, there weren't no gloss like usually. And I was surprised. But the thing was some copies were like that, and some were glossy. You should probably check at another newsstands, maybe you'll find normal ones.

Got the issue today....found it to be very disapointing...the articles this year were very uninteresting. Most of the editorials inside were very nice though :wink: This seemed to be a real "models" issue!

I see Cedric Buchet contributed to this issue. Is this his first time in US Vogue?

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the size of the issue, I'm working my way through it in fifty-page segments, and so far my progress has uncovered:

50 pgs - ads
50 pgs - ads and one contents page
50 pgs - ads
50 pgs - ads and three contents pages
50 pgs - ads
50 pgs - a perfume insert and the editor's letter
50 pgs - ads
50 pgs - readers' letters and beauty ads
50 pgs - more beauty ads and a sad story about a dog

...only around 450 pages in.

I bought a copy today and boy i am underwhelmed....

I bought a copy today and boy i am underwhelmed....

Agreed. I bought a copy a week ago in an airport. I read the entire issue on a 50 minute flight... and left it in the plane as trash. There was no reason to hang onto the issue; I knew I would never read any of it again or look back at the editorials.

^ ugh at least have interesting ads right? sans the ungodly number of ad pages this shapes up to be the typical issue of VOGUE. i bought my copy a while ago. a waste of paper honestly altho i did get into a fight and used it as ammo :lol:

ps Grace scary hair, feathers, over-sized accessories and exaggerated shapes does not an avant-garde editorial make. it's just try hard and lame, k?

the art direction was so mind-numbingly boring through out. esp the retrospective model over views etc. this of all issues should have been a thing of beauty but i just wanna barf/cry. none of the eds or editors delivered. even teenVOGUE has better content.

Looking over the eds i was struck by how they could've swapped out editor credits and nobody would've blinked:

Art & Craft = Elissa Santisi or Nickerson
Space Odyssey= Nickerson
Dream Girl=Tonne
Her Brilliant Career= Santisi

i guess i should've lowered my expectations (even more). there wasn't anything personal, revealing or magical. I was envisioning the personal touch found in VOGUE's wonderful Nostalgia features or at least rosy colored interviews, where are they now etc.

However I was intrigued by this new VOGUE book, The Editor's Eye:
nwhm9x.jpg

source: altopedorraje.blogspot.com

I had to look that book up online to make sure that was the cover. Makes me wonder if Rooney was a good seller; still a surprising image to choose for a Vogue book.

Given the size of the issue, I'm working my way through it in fifty-page segments, and so far my progress has uncovered:

50 pgs - ads
50 pgs - ads and one contents page
50 pgs - ads
50 pgs - ads and three contents pages
50 pgs - ads
50 pgs - a perfume insert and the editor's letter
50 pgs - ads
50 pgs - readers' letters and beauty ads
50 pgs - more beauty ads and a sad story about a dog

...only around 450 pages in.

50 pgs - impenetrable memories of art worlds I wouldn't want to be part of, and some Hermes ads
50 pgs - disappointly small pictures in the stylist feature, and a lot of Dior ads
50 pgs - too-short articles about interesting things, and some fashion
50 pgs - handbags and shoes
50 pgs - a dull beauty section that makes Allure seem like a great read

...at this rate, I might hit the editorials around midnight.

the art direction was so mind-numbingly boring through out. esp the retrospective model over views etc. this of all issues should have been a thing of beauty but i just wanna barf/cry.
I couldn't agree more. I understand that it's an anniversary issue, so it's inevitable that they'll look back on the magazine. Typically I love that sort of thing, but the dull layout made the entire section seem like page fillers, ones done at the last minute. That's what a lot of this issue felt like to me, to be frank. Fillers meant to get the page count up as high as they could.

BTW I love the photo of Rooney they used for that cover posted above. Kind of a surprising choice (instead of a celebrity who they know will stand the test of time), but very striking nonetheless.

My face must have been a picture when I picked this up last week. The weight is insane, I felt as though I was about to be bombarded with fashion (as a September issue should). I've never felt so eager to sit down and read page after page. But that's to come sometime soon.

I've got it, finally ... and I'm disappointed.

issue is ok but nothing special, I expected so much more, probably because of thickness although I knew that it would be "just ads".

from now on I will buy only thin issues. :P

and they were so lazy when it comes to 120th anniversary ... I can't even compare it to vogue paris 90th birthday issue.

I've got it, finally ... and I'm disappointed. [...] and they were so lazy when it comes to 120th anniversary ... I can't even compare it to vogue paris 90th birthday issue.

I totally agree especially since Vogue Paris sold also an oversize cahier with great sexy and provocative pictures from the 90 years of the history of french Vogue. Something Vogue China also did with the most amazing oversize magazine I've ever seen so far (even bigger than W) for their 5th anniversary with incredible paper and amazing photos and covers! This 120th issue of US Vogue didn't even arrive at the 10% of amazingness that Chinese and French Vogue did. The models' pages was a lack of respect from Vogue: a mere 5 pages shown the models who made what the magazine's aesthetic is nowadays, the iPad shown a better version actually because the pics are in full-page mode, whereas in the mag they crunched the pics in one page with 4 models and yeah really bad! The overall issue is really deceiving, US Vogue produced their 100th anniversary way better!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->