V#28 Spring 2004 : Janet Jackson by Inez Van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin

Discussion in 'Vintage Magazines' started by CaptainJackSparrow, Feb 24, 2004.

1. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow El Capitán

i can't tell for sure but i think her arms are covered in fur and she's holding them over her head

OMG I'M SO IN LOVE :heart: :shock:

2. Belowen

Belowen ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

3. pradaromance

pradaromance New Member

i think she is wearing a black gucci marabou shrug from spring/summer 2004

4. CaptainJackSparrow

do you have a photo of that prada?

5. CaptainJackSparrow

nevermind, i found what you're talking about
    and i think you're right

6. Nader

Nader Active Member

Awww janet

She does look great :)

I think the V would have looked nicer if it was done up in chrome or something not that flashy

7. LolitaLuxe

LolitaLuxe Vision of Paradise

its official.......V has lost it. :yuk:

8. Erin

Erin Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Yikes! I don't like it!

9. valerie

valerie Member

i like it! nice to see Janet back

10. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

Retro-Diana Ross-ish - not for me! :yuk:

11. oceanharlot

oceanharlot stories everywhere

lol i briefly thought she had a GINORMOUS wig-afro thingy on. haha!

12. Plumour

Plumour New Member

I can't say I love it, but it is cute in a way...

13. faust

faust New Member

V has become a terrible disappointment in the past year or two. What started out as a promising independent european-style fashion magazine has become a main stream pouseur. Stephen Gan can and should do way better than that.

14. Sugo

Sugo New Member

I can't say I ever liked V. Their cover design has always been weak.
    I went to a design seminar last summer (?) where the speakers were the "it" people in the art world. Designers, illustrators, cinematographers and the publisher of Visionaire and V was there.
    Surrounded by all these strong creative individuals...she seemed as bland as V.

15. metal-on-metal

Actually, I think cover design is the one thing that recent V issues have had going for them. The Linda Evangelista cover last month was so powerful and beautiful. I loved it! This Janet cover is pretty cool as well.

It's pretty obvious that V is trying to move slightly to a more mainstream audience, especially with last September's Beyonce cover and now this Janet one. However, I don't think we should chastise them for doing this. This isn't the year 2000 and V can't keep endlessly churning out edgy material. This is not a good time for publishing and certainly not a good time for fashion. V needs readers, advertisers, clients, etc. and they cannot survive on being what they once were. Look at magazines like Dutch and The Fashion. . . how long were they around? 6 months to 2 years at the max!

Also, I wish to pose a question: when was the last time you saw ANY major fashion magazine put a black model/actress on a major September or March issue? These are the biggest issues of the year for any fashion magazine and I think it is extremely admirable for V to continue promoting diversity in the world of fashion.

16. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

I rarely ever care about the covers to be honest. What's important is the content and frankly the content of V hasn't been superb. As for JJ,that's fine with me because V isn't like a Purple or Self Service in that it is and always had a slight mainstream appeal compared to those.

17. faust

faust New Member

You have a point, of course. However, it doesn't make V any less boring in my eyes :rolleyes:

There are other magazines, such as Purple that's been doing an excellent job of being different and staying afloat. Also, i-D, is certainly no mainstream mag, and it's extremely popular.

18. Ärtan

Ärtan New Member

No. I don't like it at all. Too..plastic..

19. strawberry daiquiri

strawberry daiquiri seagreen serenades

It's different anyway, double take kinda deal and almost shocking to see someone on a cover who is actually 'covered up'.

20. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

Actually, I think cover design is the one thing that recent V issues have had going for them. The Linda Evangelista cover last month was so powerful and beautiful. I loved it! This Janet cover is pretty cool as well.

It's pretty obvious that V is trying to move slightly to a more mainstream audience, especially with last September's Beyonce cover and now this Janet one. However, I don't think we should chastise them for doing this. This isn't the year 2000 and V can't keep endlessly churning out edgy material. This is not a good time for publishing and certainly not a good time for fashion. V needs readers, advertisers, clients, etc. and they cannot survive on being what they once were. Look at magazines like Dutch and The Fashion. . . how long were they around? 6 months to 2 years at the max!

Also, I wish to pose a question: when was the last time you saw ANY major fashion magazine put a black model/actress on a major September or March issue? These are the biggest issues of the year for any fashion magazine and I think it is extremely admirable for V to continue promoting diversity in the world of fashion. [/b][/quote]
    That was so well put that, even though th whole V-posse are a bunch of rude and nasty people and I have no interest in seeing them succeed, I have to agree with you. They've got to head toward the mainstream in order to survive in the tough economy... B)
    putting janet on the cover was smart from a business point of view...