V #70 : Britney Spears by Mario Testino

Mario Testino's ed is so...fashion-y!:lol::heart:

Now consider adding this issue to my magazine collection!

Britney is an icon. Plus her complete disregard for fashion has become iconic in itself.

Today it seems you only have to go to any one extreme and be lauded as "iconic". I'm not denying Britney Spears is an icon, but her particular lack of style or interest in fashion isn't what has made her "iconic".

Eh. I, for one, am not thrilled with either these covers or that Britney Spears is on them. I might've known Mario Testino would be booked to shoot her; the preview looks trite, safe and ultraboring. The monocoloring of her photos is irritating as well. It's eye-catching on the cover, but when it extends to the entire ed I feel cheated out of proper pictures.

The word 'relevant' needs to be banned around here I think! She has a new album coming out, and once was one of the biggest stars in the world... I think, like people like Madonna, she's always going to be somewhat 'relevant'. There are plenty of people who still want to read about her I'm sure, and didn't her single break records the other week? I know Lady GaGa then broke them again, but still. She's still around, she's still big.

I see where you're coming from, but just because you're producing new material doesn't make you "relevant". Sure, Britney's historical relevance in music and entertainment has long since been cemented, but that she has an album coming out (the previews of which have so far sounded dated and uninspired -- but perhaps that's just me) which her fans are touting doesn't automatically make her currently "relevant", especially in the case of someone like Britney Spears, whose large core fanbase is notorious for its rabidness.

That said, "relevant" or not, why not Britney Spears? I don't see why magazine cover subjects always have to be so very currently relevant in order for him or her being featured to be seen as acceptable. Where's the surprise in that? My only beef with Britney Spears being on the cover here (in addition to the fact that I don't particularly like her) is that she is supposedly back at last and "better than ever", which I think is more than a little presumptuous, considering she was previously "back" both with Blackout and Circus, neither of which were really any comparative match for her early career successes (or the commercial and critical successes of certain other pop artists then or today). Now feels premature for a "comeback announcement", and the timing reduces this to little more than album promotion. And while I don't have much against promotion per se, I think I'll wait for the sales and radio play figures for her album to come in before I really believe "the b*tch is back". :wink:

mario testino has done it again! amazing editorial, love each photo :heart:

Consider what Panos had to work with, he got the job done. This is Britney we're talking about, she really isn't THAT out there with fashion. Neither does she come off as she gives a rat's a$$. Panos's style is too dark for someone like Britney.
i wouldn't say it's too dark, but it's definitely too elaborated, which is exactly why i don't understand why he was hired for the job. it's not that he chose the clothes badly, it's just that many other stylists could have chosen clothes just as good as those... if i had heard he was styling this i'd think he'd do something edgy for britney - not lady gaga edgy, of course, but something a bit more interesting.

the other testino ed seems really nice, by the way.

Panos said on his twitter that one of his latest cover that came out brought back memories of a bad shoot in the past. It's safe to say he was referring to this. Panos is way too talented for someone like Britney, who probably doesnt care or appreciate what panos has to offer. Panos is a regular contributor to V, I assume he was asked to style this based on that notion. Who better to ask than one of the best stylist in the business for a pop star than him? Perhaps the shoot may not have turned out the way it was intended to. That is only an assumption. Britney is not the best platform for elaborate creativity, not when we consider where her career is today.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator:
I get it, Britney is extremely famous and her disregard for fashion and all around hygiene makes the fashion community want to do her up and parade her on covers. I get it, I just don't like it. When I see Britney, there is such soulessness behind her eyes. She never seems to like what she does anymore. Granted, I think this cover does a better job at masking it with effects than some of her other recent covers (Pop, Elle, etc). I just feel uncomfortable looking at her.

Panos is a regular contributor to V, I assume he was asked to style this based on that notion. Who better to ask than one of the best stylist in the business for a pop star than him? Perhaps the shoot may not have turned out the way it was intended to.
well that makes sense indeed.

masquerade - even though i'm happy to see britney on a decent cover and find her disregard for fashion quite amusing, i do agree that she no longer seems to like what she does, and that is in her recent videos, shows, pictures... it's that sad-tired-happy face i mentioned, that not even the effects were able to mask in the blue cover.

compared to other recent issues of V, this one seems pretty good, though. if it wasn't so overpriced here i'd probably buy it.

Britney's interview is kind of sweet and honest-seeming. :heart: Also there are some great images in this issue! Karen's editorial is beautiful, love her and the colors. And Oh Snap! is fun. :lol:

Glam Slam
Feifei, Karmen, Julia, Lindsey, Abbey, Anais, Hannah, Jourdan by Mario Testino

fashioncopious

Last edited by a moderator:
Strictly Carolyn
Carolyn Murphy by Danielle + Iango

vmagazine

Love Gisele's spread, but I'm not sure if the issue is worth the purchase if she's the only thing I'm in it for. -_-

(I don´t know where to ask this, sorry)
Does anyone have a digital subscription? how do that work? do they send you a link to download the magazine?

ebook30
Celine Dion, Stevie Wonder by Echoes, Seance, Rapper Lil B,
Greyson Chance by Nick Walker

Tom Pecheux by Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin

New Order by Kai Z Feng, style Catherine Newell-Hanson
Makeup Kaotu Okubo for NARS Cosmetics (Management Artists) Hair Tuan Anh Tran using Bumble and bumble (L'Atelier NYC) Models Hyoni Kang and Juliana Schurig (Ford NY), Naomi Preizler (Next) Casting AlinaZakaitetPRODn/ Art + Commerce) Photo assistant Phil Dunlop Stylist assistant Anna Stokland Location Root [BkJ

edit: Signs of Spring​
Photography Anthony Cotsif да Styling Catherine Mewell-Haneon Text Martha Glass

edit: Hexa by Kuho
ph: Terry Tsiolis
style: Jay Massacret

edit: Cat Power
Photography Anthony Cotsifas
Fashion editor Catherine Newell-Hanson
Cat colorist Robert Willingham​

ebook30.com

edit: The Chronicles of Zahia
ph: Sebastian Faena
style: Carlyna Cerf de Dudzeele
model: Zahia Dehar

ebook30.com

I liked the idea of the 3 monochromatic covers and Britney looks actually good but emotionless and fake (as for usual, well at least since her divorce), what I didn't like, besides Britney expressions, was that the main ed was also monochromatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozilya
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->