Valentino Haute Couture F/W 2018.19 Paris

So I hurried up my #ss at the gym to get faster to my house because I wanted to watch the livestream... for this?

Sorry but it's a big no for me. It's not bad at all but come on. The overstyled and overworked fall winter version of the precious SS couture collection. It felt so try-hard, so obvious. Cliché is the only word I can find. Somehow I was expecting that but it was way too literal. I didn't feel anything while I was watching the girls walking. Too many elements to process and I can't even remember the collection after one hour.

This time I don't see the difference between him and Maria Grazia. Although we all agree about how he evolved a lot, with this presentation I couldn't see something fresh or different from the previous season. They both went for the safe place at the couture game.

Where did they get the soundtrack from? A basic album for everyone who start listen opera?

Donatella and Steven called and they want their hair from the SS AD as soon as possible.

Some nice gowns here and there but nothing that I like really. When did Valentino become such an 'avant-garde' house? Even though that is debatable.

I love the hair, the eccentricity and the color palette.
This is a good collection but unfortunately he can’t top the magic of the spring one.
There are a lot of beautiful dresses but as a whole it doesn’t really fit in the same narrative...

The clothes are made in the most exquisite way and I love that!
Now I think he needs to settle a little bit in his way to approach Valentino.

He is talented but he is talking Valentino in too many different areas: sportswear, casual, extreme sophistication.

He redeemed himself after the tragic menswear show.

I loved this, there are some very beautiful gowns mixed with that huge hair by Guido.

Hmm, for the most part I love PPP but this collection needs a lot of editing. There are like 3 different collections here in the first, middle and last looks. I love the Talitha Getty looks in the first section, but could do without the Elie Saab look-a-likes in the middle and those taffeta prom gowns at the end. Overall it looks like it would be fun to wear, it's not boring.

Its like SS18 part II, and like almost every sequel, doesn't top the first one.
I like it because some ideias of the last collection are here in a more sophisticated way and because he does well exploring areas that most of designers today, specially in couture, fails, like taste, volume and layers. The golden pieces are in the edge of falling in the tackiness hole, another designer would do a atrocious thing. In the other hand this cape is the worst thing that I have seen this week so far, most because is not worthy of his talent.

I'm not particularly charmed or entranced by this, honestly. It's... a lot. Even individually, most of the stuff just doesn't work, and it doesn't work as a cohesive whole, either. There are some incredible pieces here, though, and everything is flawlessly made. Plus, while I'm looking at this, I'm not remembering that God-forsaken menswear season, so it's a win.

I actually really love it! These days, it's only at Valentino, where I find myself really drawn by the details of the clothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this collection.
A lot of very beautiful pieces.

Not on par with his Spring show, but that show was too beautiful and a game changer anyway, so anything he does in the next two years is not going to come close. But what that did was set a new direction for Valentino Haute Couture which I very much enjoy.

The collection is definitely not as cohesive as it should be, but I read it's because Pierpaolo let his instinct guide him this season and gave the atelier more or less "a mood" and worked with them on creating individual pieces. Each seamstress was told to name the dress she made and apparently most of them were crying from joy backstage after the show.

I feel like whatever is happening at Valentino, regardless of whether it all works or not, is done out of mutual respect, passion and love. That is what I miss everywhere else right now.

Valentino's teary eyes at the end of the show really touched my heart. He must've thought "Thank God I let go of the right designer" in his head back then.

I like the collection, but I'm afraid that he would repeat this formula for seasons to come. It's okay to keep using featherweight taffeta, over-the-top proportions, brazen hues, ruffled collars or cuffs, and a wide variety of fabrics for long pleated skirts. But a firmer theme should be taken into consideration to strengthen the cohesion of the collection. Because if he churns out another one of these next couture season, no matter how many showstopping looks he'd present, he'll turn himself into a Michele or even his former colleague, MGC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SailorMoon1993
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->