Vanity Fair April 2018 : Lena Waithe by Annie Leibovitz

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by Melancholybaby, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Melancholybaby

Melancholybaby Well-Known Member

2. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

This feels very French VF, the art direction still bothers me, it almost gives me a feel of a "weekly".

But i am here for Lena, finally an interesting woman, whose interview i would actually want to read. Her episode was just sublime, need to watch it again.

3. 8eight

8eight Well-Known Member

I wonder if Annie is on a ridiculous contract?
    Why would you get her to shoot this very boring portrait?

4. kokobombon

kokobombon Well-Known Member

the photography is so pedestrian imo... and I have no idea who she is but I´m loving her expression :lol:

5. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I don't know her, and I doubt whether many people in the UK will know her. They couldn't maybe try to style the shot somewhat? That aside, it's an unflattering shot. The masthead seems centered and smaller, and overall it just looks like a fan-made VF cover which would never have seen the light of day.

6. Lucien112

Lucien112 Member

I am very excited for this to show up in my mailbox but Annie is not the right person for this cover. Someone like Ryan McGinley would have been much more appropriate.

7. biagiolr

biagiolr Member

Can't believe that this is VF USA cover, what a disaster. :unsure:

8. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

As a subscriber, I'm happy to read all about this - but there wouldn't be any way I'd buy it on the newsstand.

9. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

She is a screenwriter-producer-actress, works with Aziz on Master of None, wrote a great Thanksgiving episode about coming out in season 2, and won an Emmy for it. First black woman to win an Emmy for best comedy series writing. She is also in the new Spielberg movie. She has a very cool casual style, so i don't think it would work for her to do a super styled shoot. Imagine putting Ellen in HC. Wouldn't feel honest.

But i think that even in US many people won't recognize her at the newsstands, but while i doubt it will work from sales point of view, it's pretty amazing that the new EIC gave her the cover, because this way people can get introduced to her, and her work. If she does this in the future, and balances well known, and interestingly unexpected cover faces, i am all for it.:heart:

10. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Ahahahah! To think that on french TV they announced Macron as a coverboy for April because of Leibowitz following him...
    The gag!
    Lackluter cover

11. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

Yes! Love this! Lena is so talented and a much needed new voice in the industry. Much better than another played out Hollywood figure.

Loving this new Vanity Fair. It feels more in the line of T Mag, WSJ, etc and less with US Vogue which is great to me.

12. TheoG

TheoG Moderator

Love Lena! And finally a refreshing cover for month of April. Not completely in love with the cover but at least there's substance.

13. A.D.C.

A.D.C. Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. While I’m sure she wouldn’t want to be glamoured up, VF could of still put in some production value around her. In fact, that’s what I was hoping VF would return to. The highly produced out of the box covers. Demi sitting on Santa’s lap for example or body painted in a suit.

But maybe that’s all just as much a Graydon trademark as the whole “old school hollywood” thing. This definitely has the feel of a new editor and one can tell she worked at The NY Times where this type of cover could easily show up on the front of their weekly magazine.

I don’t like it but it has me excited for what’s to come.

#13 A.D.C., Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited by moderator : Mar 22, 2018
  14. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Or Roseanne Barr wide-legged in lingerie, lol.

VF was very stuffy and intellectual under Locke and Lerman with their nauseating Susan Sontag obsession, which was probably why neither stayed for more than 5 years. Incidentally Locke was also a book editor at the NY Times, and lasted only for 3 issues. The legacy and aesthetic of the magazine as we know it was really cemented by Tina and Graydon. A bit more fluffy, excessive and elitist under Tina (which aligned very much with the 80s), and more political, cultural and celebrity-driven under Graydon.

I'm interested to see what Radhika's legacy will be. Because while the cover star may sound interesting, it's not exactly a choice to usher into a new era where they're supposedly plagued by poor newsstand sales. That's if this is in fact her 'debut' issue. I happen to think last month was her first, but because of all the brouhaha which went down, she's trying to pass the buck.

15. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Well-Known Member

Vanity Fair is a cultural magazine, not a fashion magazine. As such, I love seeing interesting, culturally significant people like Lena, who have something to say, on the cover. I like glam shots of movie stars photoshopped into oblivion as they halfheartedly hawk their latest easy multi million-dollar paycheck as much as the next guy, but this is a very welcome reprieve.

16. Handbag Queen

Handbag Queen Active Member

I definitely don't see this selling well.

17. versustito

versustito Well-Known Member

I have no idea who she

18. Simera

Simera Active Member

^ I think she writes TV shows, that Chicago one.

Why does she have a sour expression? I'm sure they had better expressions for cover photos.

19. Nocturnal

Nocturnal New Member

I dont know her. Cover looks boring.

20. mistress_f

mistress_f Hell on Heels

she's made an historic win - first black woman ever to win an emmy for comedy writing - stars in and writes for one of the most critically acclaimed tv shows of recent years and just created her own show that's going very well. She's an open lesbian of color and a very talented, interesting person. I'm so happy that she's on this cover.

Vanity fair is a cultural magazine - not a fashion mag, and it's so refreshing to see someone truly worthy of exposure getting attention vs yet another nepotism child whose biggest accomplishment is the art of the instagram selfie. I think it's bold that - even though she's got a Spielberg film to promote - they put her on the cover.

#20 mistress_f, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited by moderator : Mar 23, 2018