Vanity Fair February 2010 : Tiger Woods by Annie Leibovitz

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by tarsha, Jan 4, 2010.

1. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict The future is stupid

One of the most epic falls from grace in modern history... that's a very compelling article by an excellent writer.

Can't wait to read Boogie Nights: An Oral History of Disco by Lisa Robinson :clap:

Also a piece on Maruizio Cattelan by Ingrid Sischy. I'll devour anything she writes.

And the articles on the O.S. Wall Street sequel & Patti Smith both sound good as well.

Can't wait to have this issue in my hands.

2. bluedolphin

bluedolphin New Member

Tiger is joke

3. TheCheekyCritic

TheCheekyCritic New Member

I don't think anyone here is criticizing his body, though. Clearly, the man is in great shape. But this isn't a very attractive picture of it (or him), the lighting and pose being particularly unflattering. Perhaps that was the point in putting this particular picture on the cover, to show him in a different light, but from a purely aesthetic perspective I fail to appreciate it.

But then I also fail to appreciate the point in putting this picture on the cover at all. Why he should appear shirtless, flexing his muscles in a post-scandal feature is to me just unnecessarily tabloid-esque and void of genuine commentary, no matter how insightful and intelligent the inside article may reveal itself. I do on some internal level enjoy the irony of it all, but I'm not entirely convinced it is intended.

#43 TheCheekyCritic, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited by moderator : Jan 5, 2010
  4. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

But Vanity Fair is a high-gloss tabloid, that's what the magazine has always been. If you look at the issues produced under Tina Brown, you'll see Vanity Fair at full throttle - the version we have now is a watered-down one in comparison, but it's still the same beast, despite its milder manners.

The Daily Mail comments:

5. nijuyanah

nijuyanah Active Member

What's the purpose of putting TIGER WOODS on a cover? :ninja:

6. TheCheekyCritic

Hmm. You may have a point there, though (at least until now) I've never been able to consciously identify the magazine as such. Fooled by the glossy exterior! :lol: But perhaps that's why I've never been able to appreciate the magazine for its contents, which I've always found rather weak and uninteresting. Also, I loathe the highly overrated and overused Annie Leibovitz, which also probably has a lot do with it. :lol:

7. tarsha

tarsha Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Vanity Fair

8. TheCheekyCritic

^ I love Amber Heard's portrait. Demarchelier definitely knows his portraiture. The rest don't do a whole lot to me, though that may have something to do with the subjects. I don't feel like Amber quite belongs in this crowd, though, and not just because hers is the only black-and-white photo. Though I also like Isabel Lucas' photo, but e.g. Vanessa Hudgens' photo is awful, by comparison anyway.

9. versustito

versustito Well-Known Member

OMG!!! The cover is ugly :(

10. Mirik

Mirik Active Member

HQ via allstars online
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Josh Brolin, Oliver Stone, Michael Douglas, Shia LaBeouf, Carey Muligan

11. Mirik

Mirik Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    via allstars online

12. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

The first time I saw it, I was so captivated by Amber's face that it took me a while to realise she wasn't wearing much in that shot. She's very Vanity Fair.