Vanity Fair France December 2018 : Hedi Slimane

Benn98

Reaction score

Hedi Slimane Number One in Vanity Fair France’s “Most Influential” Ranking
The creative director for Celine is the cover star of the December issue of the magazine.
By Fleur Burlet on November 20, 2018

TOP DOG:
Hedi Slimane has landed the number-one spot in the 2018 edition of Vanity Fair France’s annual “50 Most Influential French People in the World” ranking.

The creative director for Celine succeeds businessman Xavier Niel, the founder of telecommunications company Free, who spearheaded the ranking in 2017.

Slimane beat out footballer Kylian MBappé, ranked number three, French President Emmanuel Macron at number five, Rimowa chief executive officer Alexandre Arnault at number 12, singer Chris (formely Christine and the Queens) at number 14 and Balenciaga ceo Cédric Charbit at number 21.

Slimane, who is featured on the cover of the magazine’s December issue, gave a six-page interview to the publication’s fashion editor Virginie Mouzat, conducted via e-mail, in which he discussed his arrival at Celine, the brand’s first perfume launch and the introduction of men’s wear.

“I’ve never felt kinship to a strict and dissociated definition of genders,” said the designer, who presented Celine’s first men’s wear silhouettes alongside women’s wear looks at his debut show for the brand on Sept. 28.

“I defended for over 20 years, faced with total incomprehension, what today we call ‘fluidity.’ It wasn’t a demand, but something natural, something that seemed obvious, without any provocation,” he said.

“Today, at Celine, I don’t always think it is useful to exaggerate, which doesn’t stop me from dressing my female models in men’s suits, something I have always done, as a pioneer, since the Dior Homme years,” Slimane added.

“It’s precisely about never imposing anything. It needs to stay playful: dressing like a girl or a boy; going from one to the other; preserving what fashion cruelly lacks nowadays, lightness, freedom to be who you want to be, on your own terms,” he noted.

Paris-born Slimane, 50, was named creative director of Dior Homme in 1996, where he stayed for 10 years. After a taking a break to focus on his photography work, the designer took his signature skinny silhouette to Saint Laurent, replacing Stefano Pilati as women’s ready-to-wear creative director in 2012.

In January 2018, Slimane took over creative direction at Celine, succeeding Phoebe Philo. His first collection for the brand sparked criticism from a number of fashion publications, who accused him of misogyny for putting his models in short skirts.

“It was harassment, pure and simple bullying,” said Slimane about the media reaction to his first Celine show. “(It was) a completely artificial debate, entirely fabricated. Not by the French press naturally, but exclusively by the Anglo-Saxon press, which has radically different values to ours.”

“We need to protect ourselves (…) from the organized conformity of single mind-set, without even talking about cyber harassment, which restrains our freedom. The social media utopia seems far behind us. It has become a freeway for all sorts of populisms and discriminations. Fashion, alas, cannot escape this today,” he lamented.

Slimane reiterated his previous opinion that such criticism was “homophobic.”

“I also felt — and I am not the only one — a homophobic aftertaste on the subject of a couturier (presumed to be misogynistic) who doesn’t understand anything about women,” said the designer. “It’s a nauseating claim that, unfortunately, is nothing new.”

“Can you decide to be sexy just for yourself? In my opinion, it’s a fundamental right for each of us. It doesn’t allow anything, no abusive behavior. On the contrary, it’s taking power,” he argued.

WWD.com

:yuk:

Im so angry with this men that I can even say if this cover is good or not, because I dont wanna look. Next!

I defended for over 20 years, faced with total incomprehension, what today we call ‘fluidity.’
lol

no one excels better at solemn account of posthumous legacy followed by expressing gratitude from the bottom of their heart... than living fashion designers, about their own work. :lol:

Let's not forget he also discovered Berlin, Britain, LA and currently about to make Paris happen.

He called critism about his first collection homophobic?? :rofl::rofl:
I just can't anymore..

"from dressing my female models in men’s suits, something I have always done, as a pioneer" Lol Yves Saint-Laurent from Heaven :

giphy.gif

.... and currently about to make Paris happen.

LMAO!! Can we talk about the eagerness of Paris to reclaim him? I've been sensing almost a general feeling of 'our boy is back', and as such they're quite prepared to turn a blind eye to whatever he does. It's a bit embarrassing, I think.

The cover actually looks ok for VF France. And the Breton shirt was obviously intentional. Lol.

I too know a few people connected to magazines that would LOVE that Celine money right now. Just leaving this here as Celine appears to be dropping heavy money all around this month without any kind of direction. :stuart:

He looks good!
Looking at this interview, Hedi seems to over-exaggerate his contribution to womenswear. We didn't have to wait for you to wear mensuit...

I simply can't take this list seriously. Outside of the fashion microcosme, nobody cares and even nobody knows about Hedi Slimane.
This list is just another element of the "New Celine" marketing campaign. LVMH is under this.
I mean, the 3 people of the top 3 list are all related to fashion or luxury brands.
Hedi is Celine, Leila is a friend and is very supported by Karl and Kyllian is the new face of Hublot (LVMH).
Even with that, Kyllian's impact on culture is bigger than what Slimane does.

I love this cover. He doesn't even look him. He looks great.

only question, how much Kerry pay for this cover?

Love him, hate him -- this will still be a more interesting/relevant celebrity feature than the others you don't even bother to read.

Good picture of him, too. He used to have the weird pose where he'd face completely downward to hide his larger nose (and it was completely unnecessary).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->