Vanity Fair March 2009 : Barack Obama By Annie Leibovitz

I think I can safely say I'd rather hear about him and what he has to say rather than any other actress/model/celebrity right now.

Exactly. He's a historical figure doing something relevant, it would be more shocking if he weren't on the cover of magazines.

And it's not as though VF doesn't love it's political covers. Unless you've been avoiding the newsstands for the past decade you know that VF has politicians on it's covers fairly regularly. This isn't exactly some new development...

I just don't get the complaints over this. I mean sorry the cover wasn't Vlada/Sasha/Stam/Lily or whatever.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys make it out like he's an overexposed hollywood starlet a la lindsey lohan...:lol:

It says "Hollywood 2009" so this must also be the Hollywood issue.

His head looks like it was pasted on to a different shot of his body. Does anyone else see this?

Yes! I thought it was just me! His head looks extremely awkward,in an odd position. I reckon Michelle will end up on the cover on tonnes of magazines in the near future,i.e US Vogue.

d*mn, i wanted a hollywood cover. i don't mind obama, but they could have put him on next month. the hollywood issue of vanity fair is the only magazine issue i don't mind seeing a bunch of movie stars on the cover.

i wonder if they are still going to do a movie theme editorial...

yeah :D

To everyone bitching about Obama being on the cover, please take a nice chill pill.

This is Vanity Fair, not Vogue Italia. It is basically the thinking man's People. Obama isn't the first president to appear on the cover nor is he the last.

8 years ago, Annie Liebowitz shot a similar portfolio of the Bush Administration. I would be more disappointed if they didn't do something for Obama. If you want Hollywood profiles, open up Vogue US.

for those of us who care, the entire porfolio is viewable here. http://community.livejournal.com/ontd_political/2187711.html

I love the group shot, there is so much character and personality. This is how I best like Liebowitz, simple portraits. So often she gets bogged down with expansive and exotic backgrounds. Its apparent that this doesn't need anything but the personalities of the individuals being captured.

And can I add that mister Rahm looks particularly debonair in his shot.

^I agree so much. I have been anticipating this Leibovitz portfolio ever since Obama won the election. My only complaint is that my personal favorites of the administration are not in a photo together. :blush:

Fantastic, thanks for the link. :flower:

And since you gave a shout out, i have to give one aswell; Favreau looks dashing.^_^

it's as i people here aren't pleased with the zillions of fashion/celebrity magazines to choose from already. Obama is the president of the United States. There is no such thing as over-exposure as he should be talked about. There are more important things than celebrity and fashion, and you all should be carefully updated in politics anyways. Unless I am talking to a bunch of Republicans who hate Obama anyways or something. Other than that, he hasn't infiltrated your Elle, Nylon, Cosmo, Vogue covers...

^I agree so much. I have been anticipating this Leibovitz portfolio ever since Obama won the election. My only complaint is that my personal favorites of the administration are not in a photo together. :blush:

You just want some Rahmabama
:P :rofl:

Exactly. He's a historical figure doing something relevant, it would be more shocking if he weren't on the cover of magazines.

And it's not as though VF doesn't love it's political covers. Unless you've been avoiding the newsstands for the past decade you know that VF has politicians on it's covers fairly regularly. This isn't exactly some new development...

I just don't get the complaints over this. I mean sorry the cover wasn't Vlada/Sasha/Stam/Lily or whatever.:rolleyes:

My only complaint is that it is the Hollywood issue. Therefore the cover should feature someone or a group from Hollywood. It's just an idea that makes the most sense.

Or Vanity Fair could have just pushed the Hollywood issue a month back, since March is a big month for magazine. But they didn't.

However, I am still excited to see the contents of this issue.

Or maybe they just aren't doing a hollywood issue this year. Perhaps it's just a feature? :unsure:

My only complaint is that it is the Hollywood issue. Therefore the cover should feature someone or a group from Hollywood. It's just an idea that makes the most sense.

Or Vanity Fair could have just pushed the Hollywood issue a month back, since March is a big month for magazine. But they didn't.

However, I am still excited to see the contents of this issue.

Nearly every month of Vanity Fair is a Hollywood issue. In 2008 there were two "Hollywood" issues and all but 2 issues featured actors.

Idk, I guess I am just a little tired of people moaning about how actors get all the covers and the moan that actors aren't getting the covers. Vanity Fair is not specifically a celebrity magazine, its a culture magazine. And there are few things more culturally significant in America right now other than the new President.

Celebrities come and go, new presidents are only elected once every 4 or 8 years

And can I add that mister Rahm looks particularly debonair in his shot.

Oh, my goodness. Rahm! Can someone get this man a GQ cover, please?

Thank you for posting the full spread :flower: I can't wait to get this issue in the post.

I think it's kind of "fake" that Annie took that "candid" shot of Michelle and Barack...It's too contrived. But I'm happy to see him on the cover and I can't imagine any American who would complain about this, whatever your political views, he's the president

I think I can safely say I'd rather hear about him and what he has to say rather than any other actress/model/celebrity right now.

Exactly. I'd rather read about current events (which Vanity Fair is all about) than Lindsay's attempts at being an actress

It's a nice shot but I feel as if they could have done a lot better with Annie - a cover without text and a different shot could have been iconic

now i'm wondering if michelle really will be on vogue...
would anna really do that...even though they are both condé nast publications?

It's good to see Obama on the cover but I was actually waiting for a Hollywood Issue, I mean the traditional one with a lot of actors or actresses on the cover...
And the photo from the cover is not even new :innocent:
Well, GQ, Vanity Fair... Now can we expect another Men's Vogue cover?

I am all for Obama and I'm always happy to see him on the cover of a reputable magazine :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muggins1265
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"