Vanity Fair March 2018 : Jennifer Lawrence by Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by Melancholybaby, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Melancholybaby

Melancholybaby Well-Known Member

2. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

Beautiful portrait of her face, and stunning light play, but another case of shrunken masthead! Why?! It looks weird! I don't get this sudden demise of art direction in magazines!!

3. Khabeer

Khabeer Member

I don't like this not ONE BIT

4. caioherrero

caioherrero Active Member

This is the first issue under the new editor in chief??

I'm totally in love. Everything is so good, love the the masthead and the fonts. Looks modern.

5. SallyAlbright

SallyAlbright Active Member

Cool enough cover, but I am so sick of Jennifer Lawrence. I feel like there is nothing I don't know about her at this point. Hoping she takes some time off after this latest film comes out because at some point I enjoyed her acting.

6. caioherrero

caioherrero Active Member

This is true, I’m sick with Lawrence.

But this cover is good, such a fresh air. And all I can think is when we will get rid of Anna? Vogue need a little fresh air...

7. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I'll reserve my judgement on the new direction for now. Part of me like it because it looks very vintage, and the other really loathe it because it's just yet another example of jumping on a bandwagon.

What I definitely don't like at all is Jennifer Lawrence on the cover yet again. I really don't get the media's fascination with this girl!

8. happycanadian

happycanadian Well-Known Member

Oh I am digging this. It somehow feels both thoroughly modern, while at the same time making me feel some sense of nostalgia for stars of old.

I'll be interested to see the full cover shot. It certainly is a clear new look from the Vanity Fair before it. Excited!

9. whippie

whippie Well-Known Member

Her face looks like a bad wax figure. :lol:

10. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Saw this in real life already in Indonesia. Not that striking imo. It looks like an INSERT in the magazine. The precursor page to the editorials.

Screams Anna though. The cover star choice. The art direction. Anna.

Monica Lewinsky relating herself to the Me Too movement is one of the most tone-deaf things I’ve heard/read this year. The movement is about abuse of power in relation to sexual assault/non-consentual advances. None of it relates to a consentual affair.

Dont get me wrong though. Im not saying that she shouldnt be heard. Give her a platform for all I care. Everyone deserves to be heard. My only issue is the fact that the movement in itself is very nuanced and distrusted, and linking herself thereto just adds more doubt to the movement.

Just putting it out there.

11. ivano

ivano Well-Known Member

Looks a bit like...
    [​IMG]
    Magpile

12. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict The future is stupid

Vanity Fair has another cover snafu on its hands By Alexandra Steigrad

[​IMG]

source | nypost

13. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Hahahahaha, can only imagine the mousy book editor all frazzled, chewing her nails from panic. But seriously, I hope they banish I&V from this magazine permanently, and give the art director a proper trashing. This was supposed to be her big reveal which (borrowing a phrase from Meryl Streep, lol) is being 'eclipsed' by another similar-looking cover.

And yes, MON. This will only be the beginning of Anna muscling in on VF with her pets. It's probably what she always wanted, but couldn't get anywhere with Graydon. This woman will be her puppet, no doubt about that.

Re Monica Lewinsky, I was thinking the exact same thing! I bought the book and sympathised with her at the time. I figured at an early stage that it's easy to admire HRC and Monica at the same time, before HRC even ran for president. It's when she styled herself as a victim of cyberbullying a few years ago that I began to maybe question her motives. But there she was at least accurate, because she made a very strong case. If this feature is going the way I think it is, then it's the final nail in the coffin for me. I want to believe she not an oppotunist, so will give it acread first.

14. happycanadian

happycanadian Well-Known Member

The Lewinsky article is about being abused by the press and media, allegedly. It's not directed at Bill Clinton.

Yeah, the cover is similar to the Hollywood Reporter one - very similar, obviously. But the mood is totally different and I vastly prefer the Vanity Fair cover.

15. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

A new light? I think they should use the old one! :lol: I don't like the lighting, it makes her face look wonky. It also looks like she has a lazy eye. :blink: I prefer the second cover, the execution is better.

#15 GivenchyHomme, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited by moderator Jill69: Feb 27, 2018
  16. Royal-Galliano

Royal-Galliano Well-Known Member

this is so good! although the masthead makes it look like a supplement magazine a little.

17. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

She looks like Madonna on this cover.

18. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

19. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

Interesting. It's not like even out in the whole of US, I guess. Do they print these mags in Indonesia or?

20. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Not sure. But I remember seeing the May 2009 cover of US Vogue (models of the moment) on the same day they posted the cover itself.

Thanks for posting the link Benn!

Gah, I thought I was looking at a Vogue covershoot. It feels like this was shot with only one audience in mind — Anna.

#20 MON, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited by moderator : Feb 27, 2018