Vanity Fair March 2019 : The Hollywood Issue by Emmanuel Lubezki

I feel that with this line up the cover would’ve been a bit more relevant a year ago.

The main cover is ruined by the two males and that odd pose they've forced on Saoirse. As for the actual image, it just reinforces the idea that however much this editor is trying to modernise VF, the core of it is steeped in tradition. You can get rid of Annie Leibovitz, but you can't get rid of her style or signature.

Saoirse, Yalitza and Constance Wu on the main cover, Kiki Layne, Melissa and Regina on the second one, and Elizabeth, Laura Harrier and Tessa on the third. There! No need for the guy from Black Panther and Chalamet to get the main cover. They've been getting the most press over the past few months.

^ That would be an amazing cover. This cover is standard.Nothing feels special. All the poses seems so calculated and forced.

It's great that Radhika is continuing the tradition of The Hollywood Issue but the relatively "new" lineup (with the exception of Ms. Regina King and somewhat Nicholas Hoult, everyone on the cover has been doing real work for around a decade or less) makes it look like they couldn't secure more star power and gives this a "recent breakthrough star" feeling, and maybe not even that.

I get that she was probably going for understated, but it looks like they couldn't get the "real" stars. Vanity Fair is all about the mix - sure, give me Tessa Thompson but sit her next to veteran Glenn Close and place cheesy Lady Gaga next to the likes of Olivia Colman or Christian Bale. And where is Mahershala Ali, who is set to receive his second Oscar just two years later?

Graydon's Vanity Fair was a lot of things but never boring to me. That man knew how to pair Hollywood folk for maximum impact.

This looks like a bunch of extremely bored people on a film set who have been waiting hours for their call to work.

The lineup is downright odd. As much as I love Saoirse on print, Mary Queen of Scots is sort of a flop. Chalamet is only there because his PR worked harder than the devil considering the lukewarm response to Beautiful Boy. Chadwick Boseman definitey deserved to be there especially with Black Panther dominating the Oscars nominations. Not to mention the fact that his press coverage over the past few months was unjustly overshadowed by his co-star, Michael B. Jordan. All the other chosen female stars are appropriate minus Elizabeth Debicki, but then again I can’t be mad at it because her presence there is stunning.

Henry Golding, as attractive as he is, has already had enough coverage. I feel bad for Constance Wu because she’s been overlooked a lot in the fashion magazine’s conversation about Crazy Rich Asians. I mean, Gemma Chan seems to have gotten a lot more press than her. Btw, what’s Nicholas Hoult even doing there? He’s barely memorable in The Favourite.

Chadwick Boseman definitey deserved to be there especially with Black Panther dominating the Oscars nominations. Not to mention the fact that his press coverage over the past few months was unjustly overshadowed by his co-star, Michael B. Jordan. All the other chosen female stars are appropriate minus Elizabeth Debicki, but then again I can’t be mad at it because her presence there is stunning.

Elizabeth definitely belongs on this list because she continues to be overlooked in most of her films despite being an above average actress with stellar screen presence.

I recall the key cast members of Black Panther got a lot of coverage too. Chadwick had Esquire and Rolling Stone on his own , plus loads of edits. So no, like Timotei (typo, and it stays), Rami and Henry, they could do without this cover. That's the thing about male actors. They may have less magazines to book, but said magazines are way quicker to hand them covers.

Just keep the line-up female. It sells better, anyway.

Here for Yalitza! She's the best here. The main cover looks the worst instead.

The line-up seems a bit... odd. As basically most of them are not even nominated for an Oscar. Not that I am complaining because Saroise is always a delight to see and lovely to see the, underrated, Elizabeth and Tessa here. And ofcourse the hunk that is Henry. But I think I was just expecting to see some very different names.

First nice cover under Radhika Jones. I will not complain at all because so far her reign is awful.

I have never heard of most of the people here (my fault, not theirs), and can't help but feel this was a bit forced. As if VF was like, here you go, diversity advocates, you can't boo to us this time.

That angle of Saoirse’s neck is just plain weird. She looks broken and uncomfortable? The choices I’m fine with to be honest. None are faces regularly seen in these spreads, despite all being of a very similar age range, mostly. The concept of these covers is dull and tired now so the execution needs to be immaculate in my eyes to overcome that. This does not overcome that.

I feel like the middle one would've made a better cover. Actually, even the third one too.

I have never heard of most of the people here (my fault, not theirs), and can't help but feel this was a bit forced. As if VF was like, here you go, diversity advocates, you can't boo to us this time.
That's a bit uncalled for. Every single POC on this cover has had a great year (seriously, not one filler here) and if it had been an all-white lineup people would've complained. We need to keep pushing for diversity if we want to make it the norm.

Was expecting nothing but filthy Broadway, plus the people here, plus Chivo shrinking his magic to the nothingness of a magazine and now I'm super happy. Also not to state the obvious but every time I see Nicholas Hoult I have to double look, he just gets.. hotter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sl4vicd0ll
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->