Vanity Fair May 2009 : Gisele Bündchen by Mario Testino

AMAZING cover amazing photos i lovee she is so beautifull i this are gorgeous here i love the photos Gisele+Mario = perfect

Gisele looks stunning, she's a model's model - her posing in some of these shots is off the charts.

To be honest I'm almost glad that some find her "horse faced" or whatever. It's interesting to me that the number one model of the last decade produces such polarizing reaction to her looks. She isn't cookie cutter - is she the most beautiful woman on earth? No. Of course not but she's got something going on that resonates and is perhaps deeper than surface beauty. She's exciting and interesting - her nose is too big, she hasn't a waist or hips to speak of, her features are too strong, she's been that wretched shade of blonde for more years than I care to remember but she's still got something. If they had to pick someone who was an utterly predictable choice I'm almost pleased they went with her instead of a woman like Kate Bosworth or some such. Who while pretty is very...well I like her but she's quite milquetoast.

It's always models or actresses or socialites. I'd like to see magazines branch out from "entertainment" beauty and profile dancers, lawyers, mothers, engineers, charity case workers, the other 99% of the world's female population.

It's frustrating that beauty is almost always relegated to those in the entertainment sector.

In VF's defense it is a celebrity / society magazine first and foremost. The do pay a certain amount of attention to politics, literature, art and other elements of culture but even then their focus revolves around the "stars" of those particular arenas. It would be a but unrealistic to expect them to branch out into the general population so to speak given that their focus as a publication. Which is not to say that another magazine couldn't do such a feature, only that given VF's history since it's relaunch it would be sort of odd for them to do it... Anyone they talk about is going to be famous on some level - even if they talk about attractive people outside of entertainment.

That said I do understand your frustration.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK so she's sleeps fully nude, but in the shower she wears underwear?

in the shower she wears underwear?

Gisele, much like Dr. Tobias Funke is a nevernude.

You can't tell in the bed picture but she's wearing a pair of denim cutoffs. They airbrushed them out in post production.

“I wasn’t aware of my body. All my life I felt awkward about myself.” But the idea that somebody had found her attractive was intoxicating. “Out of those 50 girls, that guy thought I was pretty,” she recalls, a dreamy look softening her face. “People weren’t calling me Olive Oyl. It was a different standard of beauty.”

And yet, even as a novice, Gisele had a sturdy sense of her own self-worth that helped her keep the rigors of modeling in perspective. “Some people were like, ‘She’s never going to make it!’ But not everybody has to like me,” she says. “Some people like watermelon; some people like pineapple. It doesn’t mean that watermelon is better. People have different tastes.” She shrugs.

“Her willpower made her successful,” says Patricia. “She has never let the critics put her down, and this has never changed. She has the most amazing body, but what has really made her successful is her personality, her way of doing things, her professionalism.”
Source: And God Made Gisele..... (Vanity Fair May 2009)

i think its nasty to compare anybody to an animal. I agree that there is a hint of jealousy in your statements. And no matter what you think, you cannot dispute her impact in the fashion industry. Beauty in only skin deep and in my opinion, there is something else that is really beautiful about Gisele that put her above the other conventionally beautiful models

“I wasn’t aware of my body. All my life I felt awkward about myself.” But the idea that somebody had found her attractive was intoxicating. “Out of those 50 girls, that guy thought I was pretty,” she recalls, a dreamy look softening her face. “People weren’t calling me Olive Oyl. It was a different standard of beauty.”

And yet, even as a novice, Gisele had a sturdy sense of her own self-worth that helped her keep the rigors of modeling in perspective. “Some people were like, ‘She’s never going to make it!’ But not everybody has to like me,” she says. “Some people like watermelon; some people like pineapple. It doesn’t mean that watermelon is better. People have different tastes.” She shrugs.

“Her willpower made her successful,” says Patricia. “She has never let the critics put her down, and this has never changed. She has the most amazing body, but what has really made her successful is her personality, her way of doing things, her professionalism.”

Source: And God Made Gisele..... (Vanity Fair May 2009)

i think its nasty to compare anybody to an animal. I agree that there is a hint of jealousy in your statements. And no matter what you think, you cannot dispute her impact in the fashion industry. Beauty in only skin deep and in my opinion, there is something else that is really beautiful about Gisele that put her above the other conventionally beautiful models

You have highlighted various statements, like Gisele has personality, willpower, professionalism. But if VF's beauty contest had anything to do with these qualities or anything other than superficial beauty and being passably polite to journalists, the list of women would be extremely different. While personal qualities make people beautiful on the inside too, in this situation, they are completely irrrelevant.

Everyone admits Gisele has a great body and this is always emphasised, her face, imo, doesn't come to the same level as the body. It's certainty not ugly and she is quite beautiful, especially with the help of a great make up artist, photographer and photoshopper.

It we are talking about beauty that, accordingt to VF, is up there with Helen of Troy, a stunning face is a major part of it. So why do the photos emphasise her body in all of them and hide her face in three? VF should be looking for the full package.

As to her horsey looks, it's just my opinion of her physical beauty, what I can observe by looking at a photo. And just because she has a horsey face, doesn't mean she isn't a nice person on the inside.

Bringing up her personal qualities is completely irrelevant as this contest is all about looks and things that people can vote on, so the candidates are up for critique in regards to their appearance. You can't possibly make a contest and ask people to vote on who has the most will to succeed or who might have a great personality.

Any idea when this will be out?
EDIT April 3rd in the UK

the cover is amazing. :woot: and the editorial is stunning. however, the shower shot is weird. i hope the other women on the list have features.

i think the cover looks great!
although that remark that gisele made about brady's son being "100% mine" may ruffle a few feathers where i live. miss monaghan is very popular where i live. :huh:

this looks so great I love it. This isn't even the full editorial. there are more b&w shots from what I saw! Gisele is gorgeous! if she has a horse face, I sure want one! (ppl who make those comments, could you be on the covers of magazines?) lol

I think personality is very relevant.
Angelina is not winning the poll because she is just physically beautiful. People that vote for her are voting for the whole package which includes her personality".

I always interpret beauty as a complete package, not limited to just the physical aspect. I would like to think that is what VF was inferring as well but who knows.
other adjectives like pretty, sexy, gorgeous, glamorous etc are more physical. beauty to me anyways, extends to the spirit and mind.

You guys are just plain jealousB), she has the BODY and those check bones...
I would die for them:woot:

jealous of Gisele:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: oh my goodness, I haven't laughed so much in ages, there is nothing she has that I would want, she's a model, I'm an architect, she uses her body to make her money, I use my brains and creativity to make my money... I've never considered her to be womanly, beautiful, inspiring or enviable to begin with so that's out of the question. If you would die for what she has then fine but it would be easier for you to just photoshop your pictures like they do hers... simple.:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->