Vanity Fair Summer 2018 : Emilia Clarke by Craig McDean

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score

VANITYFAIR. COM

I’m in love with this new art/layout of vanity fair. It’s so good, so sober and clean.

It's nice to see an Emilia cover where she's not overpowered by her hair - either by the 'in character' blonde, or her natural brunette shade that somehow makes her fade away into the background.

But no matter how much affection I have towards her, I'm glad I subscribe. It's a costly magazine on the UK newsstand, and I don't think I'd buy this on the basis of that cover.... more due to the design than the actual shot.

I just can't with their god-awful art direction now! It just lacks substance for me, it looks like a weekly, throwaway, magazine now. Even VF Italia, or awful France edition do better covers these days.

Nothing about this works for me, her name over the masthead? WTF!! Savig grace is her beautiful smile, and face.

Hate the new art direction, God it's so juvenile! Like some first year design student's admission proposal. Emilia's name positioned so far from her surname. What's it with CN and awful art direction. Glamour, GQ, now VF. Laughable! The image itself is stunning and would be more suited to The Gentlewoman. Is that what she's going for now?

This woman is in way over her head!

Who is fashion director now?

I think both Glamour and Vanity fair didn’t appoint anyone. I’m thinking they both will work with freelance stylists now like Allure and Teen Vogue. I hate this. I think magazine should stick with fashion director and editors to put think “the face” of magazine.

My biggest problem with bazaar is this, bc everyone is different so it’s kind lost.

Her smile is electric, but the styling is so matronly

^^^ Game Of Thrones is all people care for of her.

This new “art direction”, much like the one for American Glamour, is the kind of desktop-publisher layout that kidz pull together on their iPhone app in 2 minutes. Seems a desperate, transparent attempt at getting the attention of kidz to read their rags. Dumbing down to get those coins, so to speak… (Thank goodness Italian Vanity Fair still cares for and hasn’t forgotten how to present a skilled clean and gorgeous layout.)

Pretty portrait though.

^^^ Game Of Thrones is all people care for of her.

Of course that's not true, lol. Who still watch GoT anyway? She's also a legitimate and trained film actress. Her roots stem from the theatre. Plus she fronted Dior and D&G campaigns.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ No one get an American Vanity Fair cover because they have “roots from the theatre”. They get the cover because their studio is pushing their latest blockbuster. And the general audience only cares for her as Dany— not Qi’ra or whatever blockbuster she’s just a supporting part in. If you genuinely believe nobody watches GoT, you’re more than a tad out of touch with the masses.

So bland. And her name should not be around the masthead, it's infuriating to look at

Of course that's not true, lol. Who still watch GoT anyway? She's also a legitimate and trained film actress. Her roots stem from the theatre. Plus she fronted Dior and D&G campaigns.

Absolutely no one in America cares about her outside of GOT. That is her claim to fame. Her theater roots are meaningless here, and she is not a movie star. Her campaigns for Dior and D&G are instantly forgettable. I say all of this as a fan, but lets keep it real.:wink:

Absolutely no one in America cares about her outside of GOT. That is her claim to fame. Her theater roots are meaningless here, and she is not a movie star. Her campaigns for Dior and D&G are instantly forgettable. I say all of this as a fan, but lets keep it real.:wink:

Thank you. I never said she wasn’t a successful actress. I said she wasn’t a star.

I do know a lot of people (younger women and girls) who love her from Me Before You and have never seen GoT. But obviously, that is what she is most known for (and Solo now, I assume).

These pictures are super boring.
It's like McDean on downers. He can be so much better than this.
I'm also not feeling the new art direction of this magazine.
Everything seems to be done on a budget now.
The new editor seems to be taking it back to the pre-pre Tina Brown dark ages.
Sad times..:cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waffleninja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->