Vera Wang S/S 2020 New York

She is obviously a big admirer of Ann Demeulemeester, Olivier Theyskens and most obviously, Rick Owens, whose designs she also wears most of the time - There are bits and pieces borrowed from all three of them here, in the long, willow-y silhouette, the bustiers, and even down to the hair and make-up which could very well be of any Ann Demeulemeester collection from the last 15 years.

Since her collections are hardly available in Europe, I wonder if her runway collection actually sells in stores? Or is her actual business really the bridal market, where I'm sure she has a much more traditional product to offer?

She is obviously a big admirer of Ann Demeulemeester, Olivier Theyskens and most obviously, Rick Owens, whose designs she also wears most of the time - There are bits and pieces borrowed from all three of them here, in the long, willow-y silhouette, the bustiers, and even down to the hair and make-up which could very well be of any Ann Demeulemeester collection from the last 15 years.

Since her collections are hardly available in Europe, I wonder if her runway collection actually sells in stores? Or is her actual business really the bridal market, where I'm sure she has a much more traditional product to offer?

Definitely agree with her being heavily influenced by these designers. She made this collection beautiful though.

Vera Wang hasn't been on the show schedule in ages I almost for her her point of view. She is in realm of the designers mentioned above. But its a welcomed sight I suppose in NYC.

I f el like she’s been putting out the same collection for quite some.

Nice maxi skirts though. This isn’t memorable though and I can’t imagine she is producing a lot of this.

Everytime i click to see a Vera Wang collection, I wonder why i’m not seeing a white dress...
Who is this for?

Her proposals are so much stronger, fresher and interesting than anything the designer at Ann has been doing, to the point she’s doing Ann so much better than he is.

She’s a wonderful high designer with her masterful mix of textures, draping and architectural proportions that are so directional for each season, no one else in NY seems to have that sort of confidence and finesse. And she doesn’t get the credit she deserves for her tailored, disciplined, couture-y Gothy-goodness— which BTW, isn’t as abstract in real life, and translates to a modern elegance that’s reminiscent of Donna Karan.

I suppose because she doesn’t rely on social/political gimmicks and hype to sustain her brand of luxury design, people simply just aren’t interested. I try not to include her wedding/home components when I think of her brand.

Vera and Khaite are the best of NYFW.

Her proposals are so much stronger, fresher and interesting than anything the designer at Ann has been doing, to the point she’s doing Ann so much better than he is.

She’s a wonderful high designer with her masterful mix of textures, draping and architectural proportions that are so directional for each season, no one else in NY seems to have that sort of confidence and finesse. And she doesn’t get the credit she deserves for her tailored, disciplined, couture-y Gothy-goodness— which BTW, isn’t as abstract in real life, and translates to a modern elegance that’s reminiscent of Donna Karan.

I suppose because she doesn’t rely on social/political gimmicks and hype to sustain her brand of luxury design, people simply just aren’t interested. I try not to include her wedding/home components when I think of her brand.

Vera and Khaite are the best of NYFW.

Don't get me wrong, the clothes look well cut and made from the little that runway photos can provide me. Yet at the same time, I find it incredibly difficult when the she herself chooses to wear a lot of Rick Owens and you can see the influence of his design haunting her collections for years - She wasn't the only one at that, I would often see the Colovos' during their time as creative directors of Helmut Lang doing the same, that line also looked heavily borrowed from Owens.

I can only say from a European perspective that Vera Wang (like most US designers) has literally no presence here and I'm not sure if she has the reach to address the edgy shops and customers that Ann Demeulemeester caters to - Not even the big e-commerce websites seem to stock this runway collection so I really do wonder if it's really selling...?!

Honestly I always felt Vera's main line is a way for her to channel her real style and creativity and not actually make any money off it. I'm pretty sure the wedding dresses are what make up the majority - if not pretty much all - of her business.

Don't get me wrong, the clothes look well cut and made from the little that runway photos can provide me. Yet at the same time, I find it incredibly difficult when the she herself chooses to wear a lot of Rick Owens and you can see the influence of his design haunting her collections for years - She wasn't the only one at that, I would often see the Colovos' during their time as creative directors of Helmut Lang doing the same, that line also looked heavily borrowed from Owens.

I can only say from a European perspective that Vera Wang (like most US designers) has literally no presence here and I'm not sure if she has the reach to address the edgy shops and customers that Ann Demeulemeester caters to - Not even the big e-commerce websites seem to stock this runway collection so I really do wonder if it's really selling...?!

Her RTW does seem to sell well in the high-profile department stores of the US and Asia. At least well enough where she can be completely self-indulgent and make a strong, creative statement with her RTW collections. Although what’s available at the stores are dramatically different than what’s shown on the runway (none of these layered, corset-y collage structured and padded gowns will see retail. Likely a tamer, more classic version with a corset bodice and a padded pencil skirt will show up instead.). Which isn’t a bad thing at all since the retail pieces offered are hugely luxurious and come off more as investment pieces/versions of her runway showings (although they’re not run of the mill conservative, they’re still more reserved and accessible than the showpieces). So I doubt the more edgier shops would be interested in carrying her.

She doesn’t seem to be so desperately seeking for approval of kidz the way Donatella and Muiccia seems to be. And I don’t think she’s pushing any new boundaries— nor is aiming to, to prove her worth. I just admire someone who’s more true to how she wants to present her vision of high fashion her way, and in such a studied, disciplined and inventive way then how the pieces are sold in-store. She’s much more relevant to me than someone like J.W. could ever be.

(With the Colovos, their first few offerings at Helmut were actually decent. I own some of their stuff from that period, from suiting to separates. They’re more Helmut Lang Jeans in quality and practice. And they were actually thoughtfully designed— hidden plackets for the buttons on suit sleeves, and a more fitted, chunkier ribbing for the army surplus sweaters, for example, were nice touches in the spirit of OG Helmut. It wasn’t until they'd outright copied those Rick Owens leather jackets that I didn’t want to touch anything of theirs under the Helmut label anymore.

Vera is more talented and doesn’t outright copy Rick or Ann: She’s clearly inspired by their sort of silhouette and deconstructed aesthetic, but makes it her own, which is more refined, luxurious and even classically tasteful: She’s very quintessential NY designer in the tradition of Calvin and Donna, in that you can see their European inspirations, but they make it very much their own— and very American in how unfussy it is. A trait that these so-called New Guards like Proenza, Altuzara, Virgil etc really need to learn from.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->