Versace F/W 2018.19 Milan

Actually I quite like this, but that may just be because I love anything tartan lol. The pieces with prints pieced together are a mess though. Especially the one on Teddy.

Well well...

Is just me or the formula that she had worked for years is something like two/three good seasons in a row and after that a big mess? Because dear god, this is almost...trash. After watching the livestream for 4 MINUTES, I WAS PRETTY BORED. This is the obvious next step from her flawless Spring Summer collection. But her previous offering worked because of the context: it was an homage to the work of her brother and the signatures that made Versace the legend it is. As I said in another thread, the industry loves to remind how wild the world used to be. And that is precisely what she did.

But this is seriously tiring. You can make a really big show with the house archive once in a while. But trying to make it work again and in the most teen way? Just pointless. Except a few looks here and there (the second look on Cara, the scarves dresses are stunning...), everything is so tricky, so complicated. The look on Sora Choi made laugh hard! Yamamoto Wannabe. I can't understand why a very respected designer and team interpret a concept in the most obvious and vague way possible.

It felt like she really wanted to be on trend. The collection focused on the silly teenager when it should be focused on her rich powerful mother.

Donatella, your own work and the Maison per se, are so much more than this.

While I'd hoped that Donatella would manage to at least meet, if not top, last season's incredible show and collection, I suspected that she wouldn't. And really, how could she? I'm glad that she's found a fresh confidence in directly referencing the archives, because there's such a rich supply of creative fodder there as well as plenty of pieces which deserve to be remade for a new audience, but I'm disappointed that she went for these particular references.

If anything, with how this season is panning out to be all about the powerful femininity of the '80s, it would have been a perfect moment for Donatella to reference Gianni's final collection that was built all around shoulder pads and an almost weaponized approach to feminine beauty, or even just generally delving into that sort of aggressive, imposing side of Gianni's archives to create something that felt like a continuation of last season instead of a footnote to it.

I like this collection, not all but more that half.

not only everything is ugly here (i guess the 90s versace looks are fun, but i didn't like them then and i don't like them now for sure, lol) but pretty much every single look is unflattering as hell? so many looks are downright ill fitting. yikes

Didn't you like Versace in this time? Really?
I was in love with Gianni's prints, in 90-92. Some pieces so similar , seems to be direct from archives or a tribute to Gianni.

less literal than last season but still too referential. The cast makes up for any lack of inspiration in the clothes, nothing better than a healthy mix of supers, industry icons and fresh faces.

I actually quite like this collection. It feels like a different direction for Donatella. The "Versace Clan" concept felt a little like, "Is it Riccardo coming to take over Versace? Where it'll be a Clan and not a Gang?" lol.

There are some really beautiful pieces here if you sort through the styling.

And IMAAN. I mean, she just shut it down. What a bombshell moment!

In a weird way, I like it. I think there's pieces in this collection that can be truly beautiful, perhaps differently styled?

I really like the first 3 looks and the 5th look except those yellow and blue pieces.

I also quite like those dresses with t-shirt tops and black corsets. For example, the last dress does not look that bad. There are also some other nice classic pieces but I do not care about the rest of this. But at least there is nothing that would make me sick. Great cast.

I think it is probably her best ready-to-wear women's collection since AW15.

Everything has been more or less said in this thread - and quite eloquently, so I'll just add that I am such a sucker for a ballgown worn with a T-shirt underneath. :ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nationalsalt
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->