Versace S/S 2011 Milan

omg that 'key print' is beyond vile. looks like a disney interpretation;

r0357q.jpg

disney.com

I liked this collection.....it's refreshing and simple! I notice that Donatella and her team are sticking to the more streamlined/minimal look and it works so well! This was something that has been going on since F/W 05 when Donatella had beat her personal issues and started to take the brand into a more 'tastefully' sexy direction. I only became inspired and took notice of Versace when they showed the S/S 08 collection which is still my personal favourite. It's so glamorous but effortlessly sexy....the perfect balance!

Donatella's strongest collections IMO are S/S 07, F/W 07.08, S/S 08, F/W 08.09, S/S 09 and onwards excluding F/W 2010.11. All those collections had a more minimal approach and put Versace back on the map!

This collection isn't one of my favourites, but it's one i like a lot!! I love the balance of youth, but still keeping things mature enough to be a 'woman'. The length of the skirts/dresses are much more sophisticated. It's kinda Versace meets Roland Mouret/Victoria Beckham.....a more classic silhouette!

Spike413 said:
Thank you for pointing this out, because I find it kind of ridiculous that people are using this collection as some kind of example of how Dontella is "destroying" the house of Versace. I think it's important to remember that she very nearly did by refusing to change with the times. All of those collections that some people in here seem to consider among Donatella's best were the ones that, to my mind, were a sign of how little effort was going into the runway collections, not to mention a sign of how stagnant the house had become in only a few short years. This collection manages to take the house somewhere different AND pay homage to it's legacy which is a wonderful combination and which no doubt accounts for why so many people are praising this collection, people with all different kinds of taste as opposed to just the diehard Versace fans.

I couldnt have put it better or clearer! This collection is just superb because both takes the dust off the house, pays homage to Giannis legacy, its beautifully cut/crafted and it has loads of clean, crisp taste.

Im surprised this collection hasnt gotten even better reviews .. Ive looked them up online and they do praise it but it seems it has flown under the radar (which is shocking imho cuz it seems we definitively see a change here)

I love FW06 because it doesn't go overboard with phosphorus baby colours, see-thru materials, necklines down to the bellybutton, slits up to the hip and blinding sequins. It was sexy, glamorous and very Versace but doesn't make women look like insecure sex-objects (explaining why WAY more celebs wore this collection that previous ones). I'm not saying those past collections are ugly, in fact I like them they're exciting to look at (and had some very good looks in them), but there's NO way a woman can wear some of those clothes and be taken seriously. A woman walking in to a party with a dress like this is probably going to be an attention-seeking trendwhore aka cheap blingy overtanned housewife. Personally, I don't have much respect for a woman who is willing to show this much meat:

Anyways, I really don't see how you can not understand my point. It's simple really. No one wants to wear blinged out rubbish that makes you look like a insecure stripper. Take it however you want, but there's a very good reason why those past collections nearly caused Versace to go bankrupt. And btw you left out the rest of the FW06 collection, which looks nothing like those gowns.

The SS04 gown was worn by Christina Aguilera(if I'm right) and it was meant to be a over the top exclusive gown(pratically every collection from every designer is fulled of pieces that doesn't end being sold in the stores and are just shown to give a particular appeal to the whole show,of course no one is gonna buy them,apart from celebrities who got those things for free,and I think the same about the looks you posted).

Anyway I get your point,but it just bugs me that Versace turned just into another brand that follows the minimalist trend using ragged zombie models like Chloe,Calvin Klein or Celine,while it was the IT show in Milan Fashion Week just couple years ago.
Regarding the SS11 collection I think it was made in like...1 week?She used the same greek distorted motif for 90% of the clothes and the bags,added some fringes and colour here and there,and voilà!There's also any kind of construction on the dresses whatsoever

Anyway I get your point,but it just bugs me that Versace turned just into another brand that follows the minimalist trend using ragged zombie models like Chloe,Calvin Klein or Celine,while it was the IT show in Milan Fashion Week just couple years ago.
Regarding the SS11 collection I think it was made in like...1 week?She used the same greek distorted motif for 90% of the clothes and the bags,added some fringes and colour here and there,and voilà!There's also any kind of construction on the dresses whatsoever

THIS! I don't think anyone will disagree with this point. I guarantee you that this collection would have looked better with more professional and older models. The selection of models Versace has been using lately is beyond shocking.

Also "minimalism" seems to be the most abused word on tFS. Minimalism is not a trend, it's a technique and I personally find this collection no where near minimalistic. It's more minimal than the traditional Versace, but not strictly minimalist i.e Calvin Klein (which I also love under Costa!).

And I'd be careful about jumping to conclusions about "how long something took to make". Just because it's more basic doesn't mean anything. But I get how it can lead you to think that.

As much as I wasn't moved by this collection at the beginning, I really loved it after having watched the show few times.

It's feels so summery to me, (it's actually one of the most summery collection I have seen this season) yet I love how sleek and beautifully toned downed it is. The Greek motif and all the fringes looked amazing too, completed by the runway and soundtrack (!) made a stunning show altogether.

Wow, after seeing these in editorials and in the red carpet with January Jones, I have to say that this is one of the best collections of Spring/Summer 2011!

I love the polarization of tFS members about how good/bad this collection is to us.

Is it me or I see that older tFS members seem to RAVE about this and the newcomers dont like it.

Ive spotted a couple of the dresses on the red carpet photos/shows and theyre certainly stunning. Talk about a statement!

And about minimal .. I think Donatella de-cluttered and edited very carefully this collection. Thats why it seems much cleaner than previous messes.

And I strongly believe that the customers who appreciates great quality and a good cut, (instead of a mistress with their suggar daddy's AmEx) will appreciate this collection and buy it *fingers crossed*

idk where else to write this but went to Houston this past weekend and walked in the Versace store. The clothes look very rich and beautiful. The window display had the white dress with the red greek motif which looked awesome. I was very impressed with the shoes as well.

fun fact: did you know that at the store I went to, they still have the S/S 10 shoes!? They also had this one pair that were literally 8 inches tall. We tried getting the sales associate to try put them on but she said she already did that day :(

Remember when everyone freaked out when she put out this collection?

vogue

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sl4vicd0ll
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->