Vetements - 2 Years After They Broke the Internet, It Looks Like Nobody is Buying Vet

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by tatouejeremie, Mar 30, 2018.

1. tatouejeremie

tatouejeremie Active Member

highsnobiety.com

2. donyan

donyan Active Member

I just read this too, I'd been hearing it from various people so nothing new for me, but it seems a bit harsh to make it so "official" by the same people who hyped them to the skies.

3. Nocturnal

Nocturnal New Member

*pretends to be shook*

4. Melancholybaby

Melancholybaby Well-Known Member

#4 Melancholybaby, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited by moderator Armani: Jan 15, 2019
  5. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Well-Known Member

WWD just reported a response from Guram and some other buyers. But it's locked for members.

Anyway, this doesn't surprise me at all. You can't just rely on the hype to sell. Their prices are off the chart. And the quality is just not up to par at all.

The above response makes me even believer more in the story more. Without the hypebeasts, Vetement wouldn't exist. But they, at least they can live off from their high margins.

#5 TaylorBinque, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited by moderator GLiTZzNgLaM: Mar 30, 2018
  6. TheoG

TheoG Moderator

"Fashion is not about hype"... I beg to differ.

7. donyan

donyan Active Member

his reaction to the whole thing suddenly makes it so much more believable. Seeing how extreme it is you just know the Hypebeast story is true. He should have let it blow over
    "opportunistic pseudo journalism"? :)

#7 donyan, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited by moderator mattman2395: Mar 30, 2018
  8. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

We saw it coming.
    To be honest, you can fool people for only a small amount of time. At some point, hype cannot hide lack of real depth and «*talent*».
    Vêtements looks like a come up project settup to enter a big brand.

Judging by the pace and the state of fashion today, i’m not that optimistic about Demna’s future at Balenciaga. I think that in two years, that aesthetic will get old.

It’s maybe time for a comeback of glamour or at least, a modern and relatable interpretation of it.

9. GERGIN

GERGIN Well-Known Member

10. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

Yeah no one is surprised. That's what happens when you build a brand solely on hype and face value. I also think Balenciaga played a major part, it's basically a more realized version of Vetements so it doesn't make sense buying both.

And LOL at Demna breaking from his ~mysterious artist~ character to go on a full on Trump-ish "FAKE NEWS!!!" rant. What an idiot.

11. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Active Member

They tried to outsmart the curve of hype and failed at it, a lesson for future design ventures. Supply can only be manipulated for so long, before people realize that something's not really that exclusive if its made entirely out of the cheapest fabrics. High Fashion is also very demanding when it comes to novelty and sock heels/oversized hoodies/scarf dresses have really overstayed their welcome. At least he still has his day job at Balenciaga, where I've grown...fond of him.

12. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

This. Why would anyone buy Vetements now that the hype is dead when the same ideas are so much better designed and higher in quality at Balenciaga?

13. GivenchyAddict

GivenchyAddict Well-Known Member

The worst and sometimes the best thing about people in fashion is that they are bored really easily :greengrin:

Vêtements was just a matter of time before people move on to another brand/trend/aesthetic/whatever it could be.

So rude from Demna to criticise " wannabe journalism" when it was back then really happy about this same "wannabe journalism" which praised him and his pseudo brand years ago. Anyway.

14. FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack Member

I have never bought into Vetements for that reason - it is overpriced. disagree with my opinion Demna, but I am the consumer and I do divert to Balenciaga because it is the same look, better quality and better value with more prestige of the house behind it, instead of it being a hype brand such as Vetements with a limited shelf life.

15. Melancholybaby

Melancholybaby Well-Known Member

Quote from the article and my post on their F/W collection thread two months ago. This is exactly the point. Why would anyone but into the hype in the first place? Being down with the cool kidz and amassing followers on instagram? At least people have moved on to Balenciaga and forgot about this trainwreck of a brand. A lot of their F/W 2017 stuff is still available (heavily discounted) on websites and I can only see the same thing happening for this season's stuff. This alone says it all.

https://hypebeast.com/2018/1/vetements-bottled-water-print-slides

16. badgalcrush

badgalcrush Member

We share the same thoughs , I don't get why bother to respond to this if it "false" , That's just a pity reaction

17. lewak

lewak Active Member

Loving this big tiff
    No-one has left a house since Haider a few hours ago so let's kick-off about SOMETHING!

Pseudo journalism? Business Of Fashion was founded by a non-journalist (who seems to have a very big ego.) Accepted funding from LVMH and have here "borrowed content" and high-profile knocked a Kering stalwart/superstar.....

I'm sure they'll do the same to Vuitton and Dior tmrw! Hope so. I get bored in 15 minutes.....

18. LostInNJ

LostInNJ Rive Gauche. Rive Droite.

The article, however, doesn't seem to be based on any real facts, only speculation. So, to the effect, I can understand Demna's frustration to read something written so matter of fact, without anything to really back it up.

19. PierreGotha

PierreGotha Member

I'm surprised Demna is triggered by that article, when he (and Gurma) should've foreseen Vetements' inevitable drop from the fashion cycle. Oversized wovens and sweatshirts doesn't guarantee longevity.

20. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

Well yeah, this type of product is short-lived.. that's the whole point of buying it like a vulture and parading it like a peacock, you only have like 5 weeks before it burns.

Demna is a charlatan and the consumers of his products are not any more respectable than those eating Tide Pods. Past and present consumers.

That said, this type of journalism IS bad (did Alec Leach actually study journalism? anybody knows?), and it's far more damaging than a fashion label, you can simply opt out not to consume or pay any attention to certain products (and there are a lot of s*it products in this world), anything visual smacks you in the face so with minimal questioning, you can accept or reject, but when you read words presented and published as truth and do standard assimilation of the material read, it's harder to detect and it contributes to have societies that later go and read about migration, war, new policies with the same dubious elements (said one buyer, said another, said a third one, the sources, a former manager at a luxury retailer, an anonymous buyer- care to explain what the sources are, why is anonymity granted so easily in fashion...) and absorb it like dumb lazy robots, nodding and being so pleased about this new piece of information they just learned. Question sources, why the sources are sources, what the motives are, how do we know they're legit and not just Alec's buddies, and what's with the nobody.. sounds like fashion gossip among two employees ("heard EVERYONE has left at Valentino" when they actually mean 2) and not something you would expect from a publication, even an informal one like hypebeast. People need to be more alert in a time of high media manipulation...