Victoria's Secret Revamps its Makeup Line and Creates a Christian Siriano Collection

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Just call it Project Victoria. Victoria’s Secret Beauty is overhauling its Very Sexy color cosmetics assortment — and kicking that effort off with the first cosmetics project by “Project Runway” winner Christian Siriano.

The collection — branded Christian Siriano for VS Makeup — is the opening salvo in the company’s August overhaul of its Very Sexy color cosmetics collection, said Shashi Batra, president of Victoria’s Secret Beauty. Very Sexy makeup, which will be rebranded as VS Makeup, launched in 2006.

“This is another layer over and above our basic fragrance-body care business,” said Batra. “We have a significant makeup business, which has been growing without much effort. We believe there is a significant opportunity in this area to pay close attention to trends and layer a lot more customers onto the big base we already have.”

Batra and other executives refused to discuss sales projections for the color cosmetics assortment, although industry sources estimated the updated VS Makeup line could do $55 million to $60 million at retail in its first year on counter.

“We’ve freshened the line to be more comprehensive, with more shades and more finishes,” said Jean Gordon, vice president of brand development, noting that the redone collection will launch in August with 180 shades. “A big influence comes from working with professional makeup artists — like Charlotte Tilbury and Polly Osmond during the New York fashion shows — and formulating professional yet easy to use cosmetics by tapping into their techniques. We’ve also listened to our consumers and broadened our shade range, so there are products for women of every shade.”

Added Natalie Ellis, senior vice president of brand development: “This line encompasses technology, updated packaging and great colors — and the best part is that everything is under $20.” The main line’s packaging has also been made over. Compacts are rendered in black, with pink Victoria’s Secret accents; other items are in clear tubes and jars with black tops and pink VS accents. Each item is in a carton with either a peekaboo window or a full-color image.

Lip products are priced at $10 (lip liner) to $14 (lipstick); eye items from $10 for eyeliner to $18 for an eye shadow quad; face products from $12 for concealer to $20 for foundation, and tools from $2.50 for a pencil sharpener to $18 for a bronzer brush.

By contrast, Siriano’s limited edition lineup will be priced slightly higher than the VS main line. The collection includes five shades of eye shadow, each $14; black eyeliner, $12; three lip gloss shades, each $14; a bronzer-highlighter trio, $24; a face brush, $32, and a ruffled cosmetics bag, $16. Siriano’s items will be packaged in gold compacts with the Christian Siriano for VS Makeup logo engraved on top.

Siriano was chosen to do a limited edition collection because “he’s really establishing a close following, and we think he resonates with our consumer,” Gordon said. “His collection for us coincides with some of the looks he’s doing for his fall apparel collection — the blue of the Nile, for instance.”

Batra is quick to point out Siriano’s project won’t muscle Heidi Klum’s makeup aside. “Heidi’s makeup has been a bestseller for us, and we will pulse those in as well,” he said. “We’re experimenting in various areas. That’s the advantage of being both the developer and the retailer.”

excerpt from wwd

Attachments

• christians2.jpg
    christians2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 1
  • beauty02.jpg
    beauty02.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
As an addition - news broke earlier this week that Adriana Lima is not renewing her Maybelline contract, and has instead signed a multi-million dollar contract with VS to represent their beauty line on top of her already-existing Angel contract.

Makes more sense now we know about VS revamping its makeup line! :smile:

whenever i go into VS i get the impression that their makeup lines are overwhelming...especially the times during the year during their sales when there are just tons and tons of sale makeup that looks old...

I definitely think that the makeup line needed a big revamp. I love the mascara and love the lip glosses-but I think that even with a little more effort (what they will be doing) it could really push the line over the top. I feel though that they need to at least train the people who work in beauty about the makeup and its usage, because when it comes to teenagers who "finger-test" it's worse than Sephora (coming from a friend who used to work there). The quality is along the lines of many of the department store brands but it's definitely a lot more democratically-priced, so to speak, for many items.

The Christian collection looks nice-the packaging is really luxe and definitely fits in with the whole aesthetic of VS and the direction that they have gone in over the last year.

I'm not surprised about Adriana not renewing her Maybelline contract though-which means that the August launch is going to be absolutely huge.

It looks nice but him doing a makeup collection is so random to me.

Very smart move by Victoria's Secret. They have captured so much of the lingerie/evening wear market, and it's smart to expand their cosmetics at this point... and to have a name attached to it.

It looks nice but him doing a makeup collection is so random to me.
Yeah I agree it's a bit like oh...ok...lol. It'll probably sell well though. And maybe he has a secret make up talent that just wasn't focused on on the show, I can't imagine he'd jump into something knowing nothing about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hasunny428
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->