Vintage!

Discussion in 'Personal Style' started by LLaura, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purplelucrezia

purplelucrezia New Member

I think that in this case, the term "vintage" is being confused with "vintage inspired." :flower:

2. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

I think that in this case, the term "vintage" is being confused with "vintage inspired." :flower: [/b][/quote]
    exactly ;)

3. runs in heels

runs in heels New Member

i have fallen in love with vintage stuff, bcuz everyone wears the same stuff, and anything you get in a vintage store,nobody else is going to have it! i oln yhave one shirt, because there's not many vintage stores around where i live, but there is one in boston with shopping bags that say doggie bag on them, i love that store! and i think there's two other vintage ones, i cant remember

4. Sephora_Socialite

Sephora_Socialite Fierce Flava

I like that dress a lot! that is very cute!...

Is that you in the pics...if it is you're pretty..you got nice skin :blush:

I want nice skin... :cry: the dress wouldn't hurt too :p

Girl, you got great style! :flower:

5. As You Like It

As You Like It Proponent of Plaid

I have some *great* vintage:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Late 1940s woolen dress. Hand-me-down from a neighbor-lady whose mother wore it in highschool in central Nebraska in the late 1940s. Influences of the New Look can be seen in the long skirt and the superflous fabric detailing, though the kimono-cut sleeves of the early 1940s and the modest fullness of the skirt point up the tentative acceptance of the new fashion. A rare, transitional garment. Label reads "Doris Dodson Originals."
    [​IMG]
    Detail shot of the bodice.

For some reason, this dress didn't photograph well. The centre-front of the skirt is a panel of 6 knife pleats.

6. As You Like It

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    My Pucci-esque 1970s maxidress. So obnoxious. One of my favorite dresses ever! I need to take a proper picture of this dress on my dressmaker's dummy so the colors show up better and you don't have to see my Mimi makeup job. My husband and I were going to a Tacky Party. He'd have my guts for garters if I posted his Disco-Era portrait for that party. Let's just say that plaid, polyester bellbottoms, a deeply-unbuttoned shirt, gold chains, and a Peter Frampton hairdo were de rigeur.

[​IMG]
    Another maxi-dress, with a more romantic feel. It used to have a sash that matched the coral-color flowers, but I haven't seen it in ages. I think it might have been lost in one of my all-too-frequent moves during my college years.

7. As You Like It

One last set!
    [​IMG]
    Green-and-blue nylon floral gown. The cut is mid-60s, the fabric is late-60s; this may be a home-made dress made in fabric bought a few years after the pattern was printed...there are no existing labels, though that doesn't discount people removing itchy store labels... This was bought in the same lot as that orange maxidress and the peasant-top maxidress. All Goodwill scores.

[​IMG]
    This one was my mom's back in the day! It has a soft, flannel-like feel, but it is a knit. Elastic-smocked bodice, bias-cut skirt, sash ties in back. This dress is so comfy and figure-flattering. I look lousy in blue, but I wear it sometimes anyhow, just because it is such a cool piece. I used to wear it a LOT in highschool, but vintage dressing was not so popular in the early 1990s, so I got mocked a lot, not that this stopped me in particular.

[​IMG]
    This one is from my Mother-In-Law. She made it back in the late 1960s. She's really short (5'0") and so on her it was a modest nearly-knee-length minidress, but on me, it is a Ginger-Spice, barely-fingertip-length micromini. The front zip is one of those invisible zippers, and looks best when left unzipped about 4"

8. oanadobre

oanadobre New Member

I love the dress from your mother in law, as you like it. Also, the green and blue dress is absolitely lovely!

9. Sephora_Socialite

Yeah I like the pattern of the blue and green floral dress a lot.

You got some great vintage finds ! :flower:

10. purplelucrezia

I like that dress a lot! that is very cute!...

Is that you in the pics...if it is you're pretty..you got nice skin :blush:

I want nice skin... :cry: the dress wouldn't hurt too :p

Girl, you got great style! :flower: [/b][/quote]
    Thanks Sephora_Socialite. Yes, that's me, and yes I do love those dresses! :p

Great stuff as you like it!

11. Sephora_Socialite

:woot: Made a trip to a vintage store and got some great finds...!

Some really interesting chandelier earrings-$2
    A turqoise tulle skirt-$5..I feel like a ballerina in it!

Also....a old lady I know gave me some great vintage stuff...One is a skirt that is the most adorable vintage pleated salmon colored skirt..but its too small. :doh: I'm not anywhere near skinny:innocent:

I'll probably sell it or give it to another vintage lover...I'll post a pic..I might give it to ya if you like it... :rolleyes: ;)

I'm going to try to get some pics because I have a lot of vintage to share!

12. purplelucrezia

13. HBoogie

HBoogie Procrastinator.

Asyoulikeit is going to have an absolute field day with those! B)

14. As You Like It

Oh totally. I think I already have some of those sewing patterns. I frequent garage sales and thrift shops looking for old patterns. It is the one thing I can honestly say that I collect. Well, vintage sewing patterns and Volkswagen memorabilia...

15. leyla m.

leyla m. New Member

michelle, that nylon blue and lime green floral pattern dress is A-MAZING :woot:

love the color, the simple cut and the pattern :flower:

16. As You Like It

Wheee! Thanks! I had no idea that old dress blue and green dress would become the darling of tFS.

I often wear it when I go out dancing. That dress seems to have "party" woven into its very nylon fibres.

I took a whole bunch of pictures of a lot of my other vintage stuff this past weekend, and am trying to assemble an online "archive" of samples of what ordinary women wore in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s, since I have a lot of that. There will be two very special pages for an antique 1910s evening gown and an antique 1920s evening gown that I have. I have some other stuff ranging from the 1880s(probably) through the 1940s that I couldn't display on my dummy, that I will be photographing at a later time, as well.

Basically I have shed-loads of server space for my website, so I thought I would do a little online museum of antique and vintage clothing as an offshoot of my business site, since a lot of my designs and work are based on fashion history.

17. TheSoCalledPrep

TheSoCalledPrep New Member

:woot: :woot: :woot: This sounds great, AYLI! You've just woken me up from me 10:37andIstillhavetowritemyoverduepaper stupor. ;)

18. LesYeux

LesYeux New Member

Courage My Love in Kensington? I LOVE THAT STORE. Defenitely one my favourite places for vintage... Actually, there are a bunch of stores in Kensington Market where you can score some amazing buys.

19. purplelucrezia

Courage My Love in Kensington? I LOVE THAT STORE. Defenitely one my favourite places for vintage... Actually, there are a bunch of stores in Kensington Market where you can score some amazing buys. [/b][/quote]
    That's the one... :buzz: I love it so much too!
    Kensington is just wonderful, I have gotten nearly all of my vintage stuff from there. Also, if you don't know of it already, you might want to check out the Vintage Clothing Show. (I'm assuming you're in Toronto). A bit more expensive, but oh so good... :p

20. LesYeux

LesYeux New Member

That's the one... :buzz: I love it so much too!
    Kensington is just wonderful, I have gotten nearly all of my vintage stuff from there. Also, if you don't know of it already, you might want to check out the Vintage Clothing Show. (I'm assuming you're in Toronto). A bit more expensive, but oh so good... :p [/b][/quote]
    Whoa, VINTAGE clothing show? I wasn't aware. I know that there's a 'normal' clothing show though...
    That's great though. I'll be sure to check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.