Virginie Viard - Designer, Creative Director of Chanel

Personally, I would take Viard at Chanel over Hedi right at this moment, so Chanel could at least have some new talents in the pool to think about. Why people are chanting Hedi's name is confusing. Whatever you complain about Viard's Chanel, heavily logoed merchandise, unimaginative/boring show pieces, lacklustre campaigns, etc. Perhaps except for image curation, Hedi's Celine is exactly what you complain about. Hedi, as a successful merchandiser and image maker, put Celine on the map by having a relatively small brand to begin with and aligned the brand with the hottest star of the moment (Lisa) which allowed Celine to open up a huge democratic in Asia. And the success followed. The same strategy, I would argue, would not work with a historic and mega brand like Chanel. And absolutely no for Chanel Homme.

Marco Zanini understands modern luxury and would bring Chanel back to its roots. But probably not likely, since he probably lacks the commercial instinct to drive sales at the current level...

Well, it happened. Don't actually feel anything about this except I though Virginie was at Chanel for longer than 5 years (says more about her design capacity than anything really).

What about Natacha Ramsay-Levi? Another Chloé alumna. Shame Alber Elbaz having passed away, he'd be a gorgeous fit for Chanel although I don't think the masses of the Chanel clientele would love it. They're so... "cheap" now, even for couture.

Ugh no. Chanel needs a fun designer and she’s way past that since her Chloé years.

Please no more kitschy / "fun" / cute things at Chanel. That whole approach to fashion is so démodé at this point. You can thank Demna for that.

And besides, that approach is literally the opposite of what Mademoiselle Chanel stood for and what her entire raison d'être was : simplicity and austerity in the face of extravaganza.

In that regard, Phoebe Philo is the natural heir to the Chanel legacy. There is not a more contemporary and modern designer out there at the moment...

Hedi doing the press and the big shows and the yada-yada of it all — I just don't see it happening
If you think Sarah Burton please check into a mental institute as soon as possible.

If anything, it’s Chanel that can pull off something more exclusionary exclusive. Now you need to fit and starve for it. A bit of gatekeeping might stoke more desire for them. More luxe I guess. Their customers wouldn’t mind.

But yes, I’d hate for the shows to be in that redundant Hedi black box format. His last womenswear show was good even in video so maybe we’ll see.

It’s sad that Alber’s not around.

Well, it's good news, but since the industry is in such a bad state, I don't doubt that someone will come along and do something worse than that!

I just hope she takes along the half dozen ambassadors who are as bad as her clothes…

KL has made Chanel a global force and when he left us, a great creative void was needed to fill it and Virginie's experience with KL is not enough for this job. Her vision is limited, pastiche and mundane.

Chanel needs someone as well-rounded as KL and with this requirement, Hedi comes to mind easily.

Hedi will thrive at Chanel. Especially if he is given full control and creative reign. Also, Chanel Homme as a prospect is
an easy revenue stream for the Wertheimers.

Gosh, I really hope karl had trained more than one person internally for this role over the years. They have a big design team, surely someone in there has the know-how and some sort of vision?

None of the other options will last. I will buy Hedi’s Celine, but he will get bored and finally retire in <5 years.

Oh, there can be... just what happened between Coco and Karl's years. I think the next designer who'll be SUCCESSFUL at Chanel will be someone who can turn Karl's "codes" on their head, just as much as he did with Coco's. Make him roll in his grave a bit.
the only person who can really breakdown karl is marc jacobs. He will turn it all on its head but it will be chic and exquisitely made. It should be chanel thru a warholian lens.

Last edited:
hedi slimane really is the only person who could take chanel into the stratosphere. his entire career has basically been one long chanel audition anyway. as someone mentioned earlier, the prospect of chanel homme would make the wertheimers salivate. it's the only option that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckyjeanjo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->