The Visionaire Goyard trunk will house
the magazine's first 50 issues in a
hand-made trunk.

A $150,000 Magazine Collection

Visionaire Challenges Conventions;
Changes Format With Each Issue

By ELVA RAMIREZ
June 28, 2008

If you had a collection of old magazines, would you spend over $50,000 on a box to house it?

That's how much Visionaire magazine – a publication where design, marketing, style, trends and art intersect – is charging for a special Goyard trunk designed for its collectors.

This summer, Visionaire will also offer 10 complete sets of its first 50 issues in the Goyard trunks for $150,000.

The lofty price tag for a collection of "magazines" is the result of multiple factors, including Visionaire's increasing collectability, as well as trends in the luxury goods market, which continues to hit ever-higher price points.

From its premiere issue in April 1991, Visionaire challenged notions of what it meant to be an art and fashion publication. The first edition was funded with $7,000 from editor Stephen Gan's savings and printed on mix of remnant paper. From there, the editors set out to make objects that people would cherish and keep – along the way, they became something of a barometer of "cool."

"Visionaire is about experience, not just about sight," says Saatchi & Saatchi's CEO, Kevin Roberts. Mr. Roberts owns several editions and mentioned Visionaire as an example of a strong brand in his book, "Lovemarks: the Future beyond Brands."

"Talk about beauty on a stick," Mr. Roberts says of Visionaire's Bible issue.

"You wanted to lick the art in there."

Visionaire was originally conceived of as a venue for artists such as Mario Testino and Steven Meisel to publish personal work. It has since morphed something akin to a design challenge for its many contributors.

"We've evolved into more of a style exercise," Visionaire editor Cecilia Dean says. "Oh, you're a visual artist? What does that vision taste like?"

Visionaire's contributors over its past 54 issues include a Milky Way of names from the visual arts, fashion, and music worlds. For Heaven (issue 4), designer Martin Margiela submitted 1,000 bags of white confetti. Chanel designer Karl Lagerfeld guest-curated The Emperor's New Clothes (issue 23). Taste (issue 47) included a flavor strip titled "Adrenaline" by artist Jenny Holzer that mimicked jet fuel and metal.

Photographer Mario Testino says that Visionaire grants him "freedom to express whatever comes into" his mind. "They are beyond being a normal publication, as the possibilities are endless, whereas most publications have a fixed identity," he says. Mr. Testino's collaborations with Visionaire date back to June 1993; in addition to submitting photography for issues, he has guest-edited three editions.

Each issue is typically a mixed-media riff on a theme, posing an ongoing set of challenges to a skeleton crew of designers. For example, White (issue 11) began with the question: How do you publish without using ink? Answer: use a combination of Braille, embossing, varnish and paper-cut illustrations.

Recent issues took on senses: Scent came with perfume capsules, Taste had specially-designed flavor-strips and Sound featured a Mini Cooper toy car that played record albums.

Visionaire does have advertisers, but not in the traditional sense.

"Companies started looking at us as an alternative way to advertise their brand without just buying advertising pages," Ms. Dean says. Sponsors subsidize the development costs of their specific edition, which can take between nine months to three years to complete. (Visionaire would not disclose costs.)

The publication's earliest champions were New York magazine editors, photographers and artists, but it didn't take long for Visionaire to cultivate a collector culture. While the Goyard trunk collection will lie out of reach to most collectors, Visionaire's individual issues are typically priced between $150 and $350.

In 1996, a copy of issue three, Erotica, was reported to have been sold in Japan for $1,000. That same year, Visionaire released the first of their sponsored issues, a fashion issue with 2,500 specially-made Louis Vuitton satchels, which sold out within two months. Two years later, the Wall Street Journal reported that issues 1–22 had been sold privately for $8,620.

According to Ms. Dean, two private sales have since suggested the going price for the entire Visionaire collection. In May 2006, issues 1–48 were sold privately through Sotheby's for $32,000. Last December, the entire run, from 1–53, was purchased anonymously for $65,000.

Visionaire's collectability, especially of its earliest issues, complicated the editors' task of gathering ten complete collections to fill the trunks made by Goyard, a French luxury malletier. The customized steamer trunks, assembled by hand, will have shelves and insets specially designed for all 50 issues.

Collectors will also be offered the option of buying empty trunks for €34,500 ($54,000) that they can customize.

Visionaire's next edition, Sport, due out in August, features custom-printed Lacoste polo shirts in honor of the French tennis-clothing company's 75th anniversary. It is Visionaire's first project to take on high-resolution printing on clothing.

Source | Wall Street Journal

2626412436_abedd25061.jpg

Spring, Issue 1

James Kaliardos: In the beginning, I would rent a car and we would do all the distribution ourselves. The first issue was put together in mine and [co-editor Stephen Gan's] apartment, by hand, with a friend.​

Cecilia Dean: The whole idea was, people go through magazines and they rip their favorite pages out. So, ok, we're just not going to bind it. They can toss what they don't like or put it on their wall. We liked the idea of pairing different artworks with different types of paper, to help the artwork. But also we're using remnants from the printers. We had to be very very resourceful.​

2625593183_2ee967c77c.jpg

Chic, Issue 22

Pictured: Photo by Tessa Traeger and a napkin from Harry's Bar bearing Paloma Picasso's lips.​

The Chic issue includes pieces of fabric, feathers, tissue paper from Yves Saint Laurent, and a dress Madonna wore which was "cut up into a bunch of different pieces, like a religious relic."​

Ms. Dean: [For the Madonna dress,] we had to take all the measurements, see how much fabric we had and then mathematically figure out how big does each piece have to be in order to get a piece in every single issue?​

Mr. Kaliardos: It smelled of her and everything.​

2626412950_07e33b2a95.jpg

Movement, Issue 27

Pictured: An image by Steven Meisel and A/R Media.
Movement featured lenticular technology (which is often seen on "moving" postcards that show a blinking eye or a waving hand.)​

The editors explored new technology that allowed 16 movements, rather than the traditional two. They asked filmmakers like Sofia Coppola and Pedro Almodovar contribute two-second-long films.​

2626413168_d93de6e15e.jpg

The Bible, Issue 28

Pictured: The holding case designed by Philippe Stark. Images by Gregory Crewdson and Christopher Bucklow.​

The editors worked with a theologian to edit the Bible into 45 iconic scenes, which were assigned to photographers, including Mary Ellen Mark, Andreas Gurksy and Gregory Crewdson, to intrepret.​

Ms. Dean: [The case is] like an energy sphere. It floats in the middle… [Philippe Starck] made it so that each side is identical so it was much easier in production. He knew we didn't have a lot of money at the time.​

2626413840_dd5e4551eb.jpg

The Vreeland Memos, Issue 37

Diana Vreeland was an influential Vogue editor from 1963 – 1971. Richard Avedon gave the editors his personal collection, but asked to remain anonymous until after his death.​

One memo reads: "Don't forget the Serpent. The Serpent should be on all fingers and all wrists and all everywhere. The Serpent is the motif of the hours in jewelry."​

Mr. Kaliardos: One day [Richard Avedon] called and said, "I think I have something that could work but you can't tell anyone." We went up to see him. He brought out this box and it was a box of her memos. He said, "I have a collection of these and I know that people had never seen them. I think it would make an incredible issue but you can't tell anyone." We said, Can we say it's guest-edited by you and he said no.​

Source | Wall Street Journal

2625593981_3908bf152f.jpg

Scent, Issue 42

Scent included 21 perfume samples and a booklet that corresponded to smells like "hunger," "mother" and "sadness."​

Ms. Dean: We went to [issue sponsor International Flavors & Fragrances] to see how perfumers work. This is the case that they carried around to clients when they had to bring samples. We needed to work with a case like this because it was part of the industry. For them it was so boring and mundane. But this is authentic.​

We made our case white because we wanted to show off the colors. These are all natural colors. We didn't dye any of the stuff. We came up with 21 [capsules] because that's how many fit.​

2625594201_cd9fbcfc93.jpg

Taste, Issue 47

The issue included art and specially-designed flavor-strips depicting emotions like "adrenaline"and "guilt." Pictured: The carrying case (inset) and "Life", a painting by Gary Hume.​

For his flavor-strip, Mr. Hume said that it should taste like fertile soil.
Ms. Dean taste-tested several prototype flavor-strips. The first sample tasted like a swamp, the second tasted like a desert. But by the third round, "it tasted like really fresh soil. It tasted like it was just about to rain," Ms. Dean said.​

2626413964_bf02b2518a.jpg

Sound, Issue 53

The "Vinyl Killer" Mini is a battery-operated car with a needle on its underside that plays music as it travels across the record grooves.
After three years of development, timed to the release of Mini's 2009 Clubman S, the Sound issue was released this January. The editors were given Mini's actual design files for authenticity, which then crashed all of their computers.​

Ms. Dean: It's a little archaic but then we add on incredible contemporary artwork. There always needs to be a visual component to our issues and CDs just don't offer that.​

2626414188_861329dd58.jpg

Sport, Issue 54, premiering August 2008

The issue, in honor of Lacoste's 75th anniversary, features artist takes on the classic polo shirt.​

WSJ: Can you wear these shirts? Do you want people to wear them instead of collecting them?
Ms. Dean: I would hope they would wear it! A lot of people buy two issues. One they open and one they keep sealed. I'd never thought of that before.​

I was looking at our subscription list. A lot of people have double subscriptions. I think it's the same reason.​

Owning this would be an absolute dream.

I can't imagine how amazing it would be to own the first 50 issues...:wub:

Wow, this looks interesting.
I've never actually seen a Visionair issue!

I want this soo bad but unfortunately I'm a poor student :(

Ugh,waaaaaaaaaaaaaaant!

I've seen many of the issues, including Sound.

But with the Lacoste polo shirts, how will they know everyone's size??

^ According to this link each set contains three shirts within its pages -- one small, one medium and one large.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beese
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->