Vitrine On Paper 2004, Antwerp

faust

Reaction score
I would LOVE to see this. Boy, maybe you could take some pictures for us? Check out the bottom of the link, you can see past installations.

From Mode Natie

VITRINE ON PAPER
16/09 – 26/09

Fashion on display, fashion in a shop window: that’s the simple yet unique concept of Vitrine in a nutshell. Already on to its sixth edition, the whole event will take over the city of Antwerp from September 16th until September 26th 2004.

For ten days solid, Belgian and international fashion designers, fashion brands, fashion students at the Fashion Department of the Hogeschool Antwerpen and other fashion-related movers and shakers present their work in shop windows all over the city. Taking the general idea of a shop window to the creative limit, all sorts of shop windows get radically redressed, stocked with surprising goods or transformed into imaginative playgrounds.

No holds barred: all participants, both established and young, are completely free to present their work as they see fit, be it with garments, pictures, videos, custom-made decoration, objects or three-dimensional installations. The goal of Vitrine is to put fashion and its many aspects into a different context, thus encouraging a rewarding interaction between fashion and the city surroundings. Using all-familiar shop windows, the event of Vitrine invites any (unsuspecting) passer-by to discover fashion in a gentle, democratic and anti-elitist way. Nevertheless, judging from comments gathered from the previous five editions of Vitrine, the temporarily-redesigned shop windows never fail to provoke emotional response, ranging from bewilderment and surprise to self-reflection and introspection… And above all: the simple thrill of looking at things of beauty.

This year’s overall theme is Vitrine On Paper, in accordance to the fact of Antwerp being granted the title of World Book Capital for the year 2004 by UNESCO. Expect to see a lot of paper (and poetry, literature, …) cropping up in the many window displays this September!

Approximately 100 fashion names (and as many shops that put their shop windows at their disposal) have already agreed to participate in this year’s Vitrine. A free brochure with a map, clearly listing all addresses and participants, will be available and distributed throughout the city. Furthermore, this brochure will also mention all other fashion-related events that take place in Antwerp during the 10 days of Vitrine.

For the first time in its six-year existence, Vitrine is putting a ‘nocturne’ on its agenda. On September 23rd, most of the participating shops won’t close until 22.00 PM. That evening, everyone is invited to experience Vitrine in a different, more intimate way, as most shops and their visiting window dressers will serve drinks and/or food or highlight their participation in a festive way. (For practical reasons, not all shops take part in this ‘nocturne’. The exact list of addresses will be sent out later).

Every year, the main hall (Forum) of Antwerp’s ModeNatie (Nationalestraat 28/2) functions as the central point/guidance centre of Vitrine (information, distribution of brochures, instructions for fashion walks, etc…).

Vitrine is such a fantastic concept. I wish I would have been able to go to any of these because they've all been brilliant.

I wonder who's exhibting this year?

Pictures from the event! :woot:

Stephan Schneider entitled "Dreaming of a White Mess" Winter Snow made of paper.

Dirk Van Saene entitled "Paper Dreams"

At Walter shop

I must post Walter's as it gives a nice view of his wonderful space :wink:

Entitled "Cloudy Stars"

Bruno Pieters also at Walter...

Entitled "Jonathene" which is based on a book.

Rising Danish,Antwerp-trained designer Abelone Wilhelmsen

Her concept was this:

"Tear to Pieces"

Explores the space between raw and delicate. An imaginary translation of material,technique and emotion..in relation to the body.

Wim Neels at his shop.

Not sure exactly what its about as I am not fluent in Dutch/Flemish.

Undercover,Jun Takahashi.

This is the Comme Des Garçons,Yohji and Junya shop. Which is the only place to find any of the major Japanese designers in Belgium.

God,its so strange looking at all these because I remember practically of them. I really miss that place :cry:

Anyway,Tim Van Steenbergen at XSO. Famous shop in Antwerp.

Anna Heylen and her infamous dolls. At her shop.

"After 11 years of traveling they have found their way back to the place it all began."

that is wonderful, Scott, thanks a lot for posting!

I made my friend in Waterloo go to Antwerp during those days and she said it was amazing. she took some pics, which I really hope to get soon.

Faust and Scott thanks for posting! Looks great!!!

Originally posted by MulletProof@Oct 24 2004, 12:23 PM
that is wonderful, Scott, thanks a lot for posting!

I made my friend in Waterloo go to Antwerp during those days and she said it was amazing. she took some pics, which I really hope to get soon.
[snapback]405487[/snapback]​

You're all welcome!

Mullet,I have very fond memories there. Seeing some of the "Six" in the flesh was exciting for me. Dries walking down the pavement with his bf. Not holding hands though....Belgians aren't open like that :lol: Walter Van Beirendonck staring me down like a hawk(dunno why?!)whilst taking an initial gander in his shop. Dirk Van Saene walking right passed me and not even having the slightest clue till moments later(I know...I know). I also saw model Kim Peers riding her bicycle.

I hope to return soon. And rather than a temporary visit,I hope to make it permanent.

Okay....taking it way off course here :P

Originally posted by Scott@Oct 24 2004, 06:37 PM
You're all welcome!

Mullet,I have very fond memories there. Seeing some of the "Six" in the flesh was exciting for me. Dries walking down the pavement with his bf. Not holding hands though....Belgians aren't open like that :lol: Walter Van Beirendonck staring me down like a hawk(dunno why?!)whilst taking an initial gander in his shop. Dirk Van Saene walking right passed me and not even having the slightest clue till moments later(I know...I know). I also saw model Kim Peers riding her bicycle.

I hope to return soon. And rather than a temporary visit,I hope to make it permanent.

Okay....taking it way off course here :P
[snapback]405891[/snapback]​
aw, that sounds like an awesome time :woot:
were the designers around the whole time?

hmm, I'm really looking forward to catch the Malign Muses exhibition in January, I think I'm going to Paris around that time so hopefully I'll jump into Waterloo to visit my friend and then to Antwerp ^_^

Well,I was there for 3 months and I only remember seeing Walter maybe twice during the course. Both of which were the aformentioned visit at his shop and I saw him there again when I passed by one day. They were all probably off putting the finishing touches on their collections as it was around the time for FW.

It was a fun time. And lest I forget,the city is quite majestic too. Can't forget loving the atmosphere there either...and the people....I've never met so many hospitable people in one place..ever!

I want to see Malign Muses so badly. I hope before it ends I can catch it. If not I can always take the trip to V&A in February.

thanks for the topic faust ...

and for the pics scott...i'm not sure i understand...when are these pictures from...is it a previous year or the current one?... :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yams Yamborghini
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"