Vivienne Tam F/W 09.10 New York

jacobs

Reaction score
Review from style.com:
NEW YORK, February 18, 2009

By Alison Baenen

Vivienne Tam's closely edited collection for Fall focused mainly on cocktail dresses; a few skirts, a couple of blouses, and a cheongsam made up the rest. "I always wear dresses," the designer said by way of explanation. "I'm not really a pants person." Those frocks, for the most part, were lovely, though Tam faltered by overworking some until they became more wearable art than ready-to-wear. Her inspiration this season was the Chinese character for nothingness—a piece of art in its own right—which Tam was drawn to for its graphic appeal, as well as its message of cleanliness and starting afresh. The character appeared, in some form or another, on almost all of her 20 looks. While at times its use was too literal—a purple sheath dress made entirely from characters on rounds of laser-etched silk charmeuse looked uncomfortable to wear—the abstract renderings of the symbol were skillfully done.

CMCapture1.jpg
CMCapture2.jpg
CMCapture3.jpg
CMCapture4.jpg
CMCapture5.jpg
CMCapture6.jpg

style.com

There's nothing necessarily screaming at me in the face (I mean this is in a positive manner), but some of the dresses are extremely cute and wearable.

This was definitely a collection where less is more-simple but so elaborate, the details are lovely, and 90% of it is commercially viable. I love it.

“the Chinese character for nothingness”
What's it? I cant tell but I do want to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nationalsalt
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->