Vivienne Westwood: 36 Years in Fashion (exhibition in San Francisco)

LoveLetter

Reaction score
Date: 3 March 2007 —10 June 2007
Web: http://www.famsf.org/deyoung/exhibitions/exhibition.asp?exhibitionkey=657

Vivienne Westwood is both iconoclast and global icon. In the 1970s, she electrified the world with the launch of punk fashion and went on to become one of the most inventive and influential designers of our time. Fashion to her became "a baby I picked up and never put down."

This exhibition, which was organized by the Victoria and Albert Museum, London and which makes the de Young its only U.S. stop on an international tour, celebrates Westwood’s extraordinary, nearly 40-year-long career. Known best for her fearless nonconformity, she also has a profound respect for the past and looks to it for inspiration. With tradition as her springboard, she takes historic garments such as corsets and crinolines and reinvents them in new ways or uses thoroughly British fabrics like tartans and tweeds to create fashion that gently parodies Establishment styles. However outrageous or provocative the result, her approach has always been practical. She is driven by a curiosity about how things work, and her work reflects her systematic exploration of the structure of historical costume in museum collections.

Westwood's extraordinary range and inventiveness is showcased in the more than 150 objects that make up the exhibition, all drawn from her personal archive and the V&A's collection. The work spans the extremes of fashion, from London street style to the catwalks of Paris and London, and reveals Westwood’s own evolution from subversive shop owner to one of fashion’s most respected figures.

image_large_698.jpg

This exhibition, which was organized by the Victoria and Albert Museum, London and which makes the de Young its only U.S. stop on an international tour,

that is just nuts...
how can it not be shown anywhere on the east coast....

:judge:....
i object!!!...

*thank goodness i saw it when it was in london...:rolleyes:...

i'm planning on seeing it this weekend...

there was a huge opening gala saturday night...
"invitation only" (read: snooty) :lol:
style.com has pics:
http://www.style.com/peopleparties/parties/thumb/030607VIVI/new

i did go see her speak at my school on sunday (academy of art university)...she was great...
from wwd...

She capped off her tour of the city, which ended Sunday afternoon at the Academy of Art University, with an honorary doctorate, a proclamation from the mayor declaring the date "Dame Vivienne Westwood Day," a chocolate dessert made in the shape of her trademark high-heeled platform pump and a visit with fellow British designer and iconoclast Zandra Rhodes.

Rhodes said she was happy to make a trip to San Francisco from Houston where she's designing the sets and costumes for the Houston Grand Opera's upcoming "Aida." The fuchsia-tressed designer said she and Westwood "have worked parallel" in the fashion world. "I've been called the princess of punk, and she, the queen of punk," said Rhodes, who joined Westwood on the stage Sunday to talk with students at the university.

Perhaps it was Westwood's new raw-food-only macrobiotic diet, but the designer showed no signs of tiring during her visit. She said she stays fit by eating well and biking to work, and doesn't believe in plastic surgery, computers — or radio or TV, for that matter. Westwood, who would rather read a history tome than watch a sitcom, urged students to seek creative fodder from art, history and classical music. "I'll give you a piece of advice," she told the eager pupils. "If you want to be a fashion designer, don't look at fashion magazines. Don't care about them. Look at costume."

i went to the exhibit today. it was really great! the exhibit was put together so well. i would definitely recommend anyone who is interested to check it out!

A big request to all of you planning to visit this wonderful exhibition; PLEASE take lots of photos to post on Fashionspot!
I (stupidly/drunkenly) lost my camera after visiting the V&A exhibtion back in '04 after spending hours taking pictures of all the wonderful outfits, so if any you guys could post some pix here it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks again

Hi again, just refreshing my earlier request to any lucky people who've had a chance to visit the Vivienne Westwood retrospective in San Franciso, if any of you kind souls could possibly post any pix from the exhibition. thanx again!

Oooh, I saw this exhibit in London at the V&A - what was that 2004?

It was fantastic, I hope to see it in SF as well, it would be fun to compare the presentations.

(And I promise to take photos if I get there. :heart: )

I saw in London 2 years ago, it was great!
Then my friend saw it in Shanghai the next summer, he said only like a half of the colletion was showing there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->