Vivienne Westwood: 36 Years in Fashion (exhibition in San Francisco)

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by LoveLetter, Mar 8, 2007.

1. LoveLetter

LoveLetter New Member

Date: 3 March 2007 —10 June 2007
    Web: http://www.famsf.org/deyoung/exhibitions/exhibition.asp?exhibitionkey=657

Vivienne Westwood is both iconoclast and global icon. In the 1970s, she electrified the world with the launch of punk fashion and went on to become one of the most inventive and influential designers of our time. Fashion to her became "a baby I picked up and never put down."

This exhibition, which was organized by the Victoria and Albert Museum, London and which makes the de Young its only U.S. stop on an international tour, celebrates Westwood’s extraordinary, nearly 40-year-long career. Known best for her fearless nonconformity, she also has a profound respect for the past and looks to it for inspiration. With tradition as her springboard, she takes historic garments such as corsets and crinolines and reinvents them in new ways or uses thoroughly British fabrics like tartans and tweeds to create fashion that gently parodies Establishment styles. However outrageous or provocative the result, her approach has always been practical. She is driven by a curiosity about how things work, and her work reflects her systematic exploration of the structure of historical costume in museum collections.

Westwood's extraordinary range and inventiveness is showcased in the more than 150 objects that make up the exhibition, all drawn from her personal archive and the V&A's collection. The work spans the extremes of fashion, from London street style to the catwalks of Paris and London, and reveals Westwood’s own evolution from subversive shop owner to one of fashion’s most respected figures.

[​IMG]

2. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

that is just nuts...
    how can it not be shown anywhere on the east coast....

:judge:....
    i object!!!...

*thank goodness i saw it when it was in london...:rolleyes:...

3. kimair

kimair frozen

i'm planning on seeing it this weekend...

there was a huge opening gala saturday night...
    "invitation only" (read: snooty) :lol:
    style.com has pics:
    http://www.style.com/peopleparties/parties/thumb/030607VIVI/new

i did go see her speak at my school on sunday (academy of art university)...she was great...
    from wwd...

4. emily_anselmo

emily_anselmo New Member

i went to the exhibit today. it was really great! the exhibit was put together so well. i would definitely recommend anyone who is interested to check it out!

5. hypnos

hypnos Member

A big request to all of you planning to visit this wonderful exhibition; PLEASE take lots of photos to post on Fashionspot!
    I (stupidly/drunkenly) lost my camera after visiting the V&A exhibtion back in '04 after spending hours taking pictures of all the wonderful outfits, so if any you guys could post some pix here it would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks again

6. hypnos

hypnos Member

Hi again, just refreshing my earlier request to any lucky people who've had a chance to visit the Vivienne Westwood retrospective in San Franciso, if any of you kind souls could possibly post any pix from the exhibition. thanx again!

7. cygnenoir

cygnenoir This is the Renaissance

Oooh, I saw this exhibit in London at the V&A - what was that 2004?

It was fantastic, I hope to see it in SF as well, it would be fun to compare the presentations.

(And I promise to take photos if I get there. :heart: )

8. hypnos

hypnos Member

thank you Cygnenoir, I'll look forward to them!!

9. lady_dilandau

lady_dilandau New Member

I wish I could see this.

I love VW so much.

10. edgy models

edgy models New Member

Attached Files:

11. VampireCa

VampireCa New Member

I saw in London 2 years ago, it was great!
    Then my friend saw it in Shanghai the next summer, he said only like a half of the colletion was showing there...