Vogue Arabia February 2019 : Ciara by Mariano Vivanco

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by vogue28, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

We'll have her then! You can keep Rita Ora. :p

I do think booking a Vogue Arabia cover is somewhat of a coup. Not next to the top 4, or Vogue China or Australia, but like Morgane said, it's clearly the one Vogue who wouldn't flinch to put a black pop star on their cover, or cast black andAsiann models for their edits.

samoanceleb and Lola701 like this.
  2. [Piece Of Me]

[Piece Of Me] Well-Known Member

Which makes a lot of sense as both Rihanna and Beyonce are in a total other league compared to Ciara. I mean, I do not even know why we would compare them? Oh wait, ofcourse, all three are black women.

I do like Ciara and she photographs very well, so it's a nice surprise to see her here. She has been so under the radar the last few years that I certainly was not expecting to see her score a cover, but well done to her!

mikel likes this.
  3. MON

MON Well-Known Member

How she was snubbed my American magazines was a choice! A beautiful woman who deserves far more credit than what she gets.

That second cover is stunning! Not sure about the eye makeup

Benn98 likes this.
  4. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Uhm, their artistry is similar, of course. The other two are now on a different level, but pre-edgy Rihanna and Crazy in Love Beyonce were on the same level as her in more ways than one.

5. mepps

mepps Active Member

We don't want her, or know her.:wink:
    I love that Vogue Arabia features so many black models. For that alone I give them major props, but it might as well be sold on Mars....and I live in New York.;)

6. Morgane07

Morgane07 Well-Known Member

Less and less people buy magazines but more and more have access to them, albeit only visually, through the internet. Although Vogue Arabia is hard to find, it is still circulated and discussed on social media and forums. I think it's great that women of colour from all over the world get to see Vogue covers with women of colour, wherever the publication comes from, especially if the cover is beautiful, which is the case here.

samoanceleb and dfl-001 like this.
  7. dfl-001

dfl-001 Well-Known Member

I LOVE that second cover. It's really timeless.
    Fifty years from now people could still look at this and appreciate the beauty.
    The first cover is a throw away.

8. Joromana

Joromana Member

That second cover is to die for!!!! So gorgeous!

9. Khabeer

Khabeer Member

I prefer the second cover

10. samoanceleb

samoanceleb Member

As others have alluded, Vogue Arabia is THE Vogue edition unafraid to give women of colour, their first Vogue cover. Kudos to them, I mean if you're going to be in the Vogue staple, at least bring a unique point of view and difference and not be a poor imitation of the big four.

Vogue Arabia is declonizing the Vogue brand which is marvelous, when you consider that the Asian region Vogues for decades have featured predominantly non-Asian cover models. Another example is that Vogue Mexico's Yalitza Aparicio Martínez cover was the first time that edition had an indigenous cover subject.

Similarly, cover girls for the Vogue editions in the Spanish Commonwealth region have traditionally been European.

So happy for Ciara.