Vogue Arabia September 2018 : Nicki Minaj by Emma Summerton

How exactly is she morally bankrupt? What does that even mean?
She's a pop star and she's beautiful. That's pretty much all you need to book a fashion cover, and she succeeds on both fronts.

Well the list infinitely long, do you have the time? But let’s just say that associating herself and promoting a child sex offender counts as morally bankrupt in my book. If you think that being “beautiful” and a pop star are the only requirements for a fashion job, really there is nothing else to say, I wonder why people even bother trying to clean up the fashion industry.

No. That a very sexual woman with a potty mouth is on the front covers of a country where women weren't even allowed to drive until last year. Get it?

Yes i do get it. You are trying to turn two negatives into a positive.

was excited to see this as the pairing of nicki and vogue arabia sounded too surreal to me but the results are disappointing. she doesn't even look like herself...

Well the list infinitely long, do you have the time? But let’s just say that associating herself and promoting a child sex offender counts as morally bankrupt in my book. If you think that being “beautiful” and a pop star are the only requirements for a fashion job, really there is nothing else to say, I wonder why people even bother trying to clean up the fashion industry.

Donald Trump is morally bankrupt, Nicki Minaj is not.
What other requirements beyond beauty and fame does one need in order to book a fashion cover in 2018?
I've never seen a scientist on the cover of Vogue. Nicki is no better or worse than every other dull celebrity, and lifeless model rotated month after month. That's the fashion industry now and probably forever. Good luck trying to clean it up.

I fuc*ing LOVE THIS.
Its perfect for VA, for Nicki, for this industry, for september, for this year...
Its been a long time that a celebrity cover makes so much sense in many ways and its just not a obvious PR gig, maybe thats why im raving so much about it.

I love how everyone is up in arms about this. Like it or not, she is the most successful female rapper right now and has been on top of her game for close to ten years. She deserves every credit she gets, and much more than the random bland pop stars or starlets we see every second month on various big magazines.

While I would never style myself as a Nicki Minaj superfan (not saying anyone else in this thread is one), I do admire her beauty and her newfound vibe, and the fact that she's commercial enough as a rapper to rival singers such as Beyonce and Rihanna for magazine covers. Such a thing never happened in the past, not even with Lil Kim, I think.
Her sense of agency over her image is also commendable. Don't agree with her overt sexualised ways at times, that's her choice, but at least she's sending out a somewhat positive image for most part. As opposed to Cardi B, for instance, who simply doesn't even look like she's TRYING to rise above her appalling backrgound.

Love Nicki and the second cover, her success alone deserves a Vogue cover already, US Vogue next please. :clap:

I’ve no interest in her, visually or sonically anymore, so whether or not she’s morally-bankrupt, I don’t know. But I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt, and assume she’s someone who will make the effort to be a tad more self-aware now that she’s a permanent fixture on the pop princess circuit. I mean, not too long ago, Saint Beyonce was playing private shows to the highest bidders, including Mummer Al Kadafi’s son. So anyone is capable of change for the (apparently) better.

As for her cover, she is a beautiful woman— just that she always looks so dour and miserable in any fashion shoot. Maybe that’s her way of looking… “smouldering”… If that’s the case, try again Nicki. Because being a “beautiful pop star” clearly isn’t enough in her case. And as for VA… Their premiere issue’s cover shot promised so much, with the occasional solid shoots, like Adwoa’s and Princess Hayfa bint Abdullah Al Saud. But this cover, along with their schizo-need to always change their art direction, clearly shows how directionless they are when it comes to creating any semblance of a design identity, let alone a strong one.

I don’t know much about Minaj or her music but that first cover is all kinds of awesomeness.

so anyone who already buy this copy? i wanna see the editorial inside

16 fashion and celebrity stories— not including beauty and jewelry stories, is likely a first for any Vogue. Unfortunately, this is a matter of quantity over quality.

There are 6 stories from the English side. And including Nicki’s, non are memorable. Nicki’s All Hail The Queen by Emma Summerton fails to showcases Nicki’s brand of beauty successfully. She’s styled in pieces that are so drab, so lifeless, so heavy and dumpy, including dressing her in full Marc Jacobs LOL… Nicki just looks like she’s having a miserable time. And I can sympathize here with the way she’s styled.

From the Arabic side, there are 10 stories (all starring ME celebrities, ME/Brown models— except for one story featuring an Asian model, and Olivier Rousteing). 2 of them are extremely strong. One is titled BANG BANG by Louis Christopher. Shot outside in some lush (American) riverside, overgrown thicket with a lot of rusty fences and bridges, and featuring a color-palette of only red and black, it’s a simple but striking story with a hint of the urban cowgirl (and a model with such a strong profile). Just goes to show that creative styling, a complimentary location, and a model-- no matter how unknown, who knows how to give attitude, is all you need to achieve something memorable. The best story of them all is by Katie Trotter, shot on-location at an old theatre. Gorgeous story featuring Haute Couture and with a model that’s so stunning-looking, she’s pure muse and elevates the designs and shoot. Full of smokey mood and noir attitude with the seductive lighting of breaking dawn, reminding me of those stories that would feature Ungaro, Lacroix and YSL all in jewel tones from the from 80s American Vogue.

VA doesn’t need the Western contributions of photographers and celebrities, at least not the ones featured in this issue. And the casting of ME/Brown models is far superior in enhancing the imagery of their perspective of HF as a identity. I’d rather see the production value given to extending their own stories. If anything, the Western contributions drag down the issue. Unless they can get Meisel to shoot the English titles, why bother with someone like Walter Chin, who's got absolutely nothing to say? But a more valid criticism that could pull everything together into a seamless presentation would be… invest in a strong and talented art director. God knows VA would be the one of the few Vogues that would.

All Hail the Queen

Photographer: Emma Summerton
Stylist: Anna Katsanis
Hair: Kim Kimble
Makeup: Sheika Daley
Cast: Nicki Minaj

Vogue Arabia Digital Edition

Greed is Good

Photographer: Dan Beleiu
Stylist: Claire Carruthers
Hair: Jean Baptiste Santens
Makeup: Alice Ghendrih