Vogue Arabia September 2020 : Mila Abouchalbak by Tarek Moukaddem & Hend Sabry by Ämr Ezzeldinn

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by amby, Aug 19, 2020.

1. amby

amby Well-Known Member

2. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Utterly-Unknown Member

It’s a powerful, beautiful image. I wish we were getting fashion from everyone, especially for September, but this is far and away my favorite interpretation of the “Hope“ theme that all Vogue editions are peddling.

SophiaVB, TommysBaby and jorgepalomo like this.
  3. TZ001

TZ001 Well-Known Member

Best September cover so far

4. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Well-Known Member

A bit too National Geographic but it's at least memorable and touching.

5. aracic

aracic Moderator

Ugh, I just... I really, honestly, don't care. It's beautiful, sure. But it's goddamn September. The fact that there wasn't a single good (let alone great) September fashion cover, except for maybe Netherlands with that fugly layout, is frightening.

What happened to the CN underage cover model rule, though?

Urban Stylin and Benn98 like this.
  6. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

The image is beautiful in a NatGeo way, but this edition very cleverly cherry-picks what causes they want to get behind. I must've missed the covers showing a lesbian couple, or Syrian refugees fleeing for a new life, or the elevated and free woman owning her sexuality.
    Not equating that to victims of the explosions, but if you want to broach social issues best be prepared to address a lot more beyond your cushy little world.

aracic likes this.
  7. amby

amby Well-Known Member

Phuel likes this.
  8. TommysBaby

TommysBaby Active Member

I know its not "fashion" but honestly, I really dont care nor want fashion. Who cares? We're in the middle of a pandemic, boasting and selling lifestyle (especially on the cover) just seems out of touch (not offensive, just boring). Somehow, and its my personal response, its becoming difficult for me to consume glitz and glam in this time.

Noor Amir, melbguy and tipi1355 like this.
  9. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

Demi Lovato? Is that you?

10. MON

MON Well-Known Member

The intention is commendable, but the execution false flat.

These images do not spark hope at first glance. I had to read through the caption to be inspired.

If you have to explain something for your audience to get your intention then you terribly failed at it.

Urban Stylin likes this.
  11. lightblue

lightblue Active Member

No. I will always expect fashion from a fashion magazine.

Urban Stylin, CocoM and YohjiAddict like this.
  12. bluebanter

bluebanter Well-Known Member

I always struggle with how I perceive images like these? Powerful or exploitative? Im not sure tbh.

YohjiAddict likes this.
  13. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

Child models always make me cringe lol, I just checked out her Instagram out of curiosity, and the girl getting styled like ready to run for president or something is just beyond me, anyway the cover is quite beautiful.

Urban Stylin and Benn98 like this.
  14. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

Both covers are solid. At least it’s not Cardi or Megan thee Stallion on the cover.

Visually both are executed well: solemn and still stylish. It’s a tad too PHOTO magazine frankly, but I’ll gladly take this sort of skilled work over the absolutely garbage of faux-amateur, dumbed down shots that has plagues most Vogues. Now hopefully the stories will showcase more creativity and fashion-escapism.

And very glad that VA is highlighting current socio-political issues that are reflective their region. Because, you know— the rest of the world does not revolve around the socio-political events of the USA.

Next to Edward’s Vogue cover of Adwoa/Marcus, both these covers are my top 2. The turmoils of the time we are in can’t really be avoided; but at least present it in a thoughtful stylish manner that still remembers that Vogue is a fashion rag. And these covers are good enough. Which is all I’m expecting from Vogues these dire, creatively-bankrupt days.

Emmanuelle's Vogue is the only hope for high fashion salvation at this point.

YohjiAddict and Bertrando3 like this.
  15. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Both are beautiful images but more of what I would expect inside the magazine they are not strong enough to carry a cover. If the first subject was an adult then it would have worked but something odd about a child being on the cover of Vogue

16. JohannesL

JohannesL Active Member

The first cover is very captivating in terms of visual impact. Since I have little expectation for fashion magazines tackling socio-political issues, I always feel that they should stay where they were, their strength is more on the cultural influence side. Nonetheless, a good dedication to the time we live in.

17. FashionMuseDior

FashionMuseDior Well-Known Member

I like the first cover. There is this sense of pure innocence that only children can convey.

18. RMDV

RMDV Well-Known Member

First cover screams nat Geo.. not exactly what I picture for any "Vogue" cover to be honest... hopefully inside stories can redeem these lackluster covers

19. RMDV

RMDV Well-Known Member