Vogue Australia April 2018 by Patrick Demarchelier

How much ahead are they shooting the covers? How long can this possibly go on?

That's what I'm confused by. Akiima only became a big deal very recently right? Then they couldn't have done the cover weeks ago before the allegations. ??? It's a bad cover regardless.

The cover was shot in December 2017

Last edited by a moderator:
They could have easily whip up a new shoot if they want too. I cannot take this seriously.

The cover is not good, but I'm beyond happy for Akiima and Andreja :heart:

Can they do better with the cover? I mean I love seeing models on the cover but this is sad.

Vogue China is that you?

They could have easily whip up a new shoot if they want too. I cannot take this seriously.

Sadly, they're only a small magazine so there's no way they could completely throw out a Demarchelier shoot even if they wanted to. Even big magazines these days are cutting costs wherever possible, so you can imagine the budgetary pressures for a magazine like Vogue Australia.

COVER STORY
"THE FACES UNITING AUSTRALIAN FASHION"

Photographer: Patrick Demarchelier
Fashion Editor/Stylist: Christine Centenera
Hair: Didier Malige + Jimmy Paul
Make-up: Maki Ryoke + Gucci Westman
Manicure: Megumi Yamamoto

Models: Akiima + Charlee Fraser + Fernanda Ly + Andreja Pejic

Credit: Anne of Carversville (anneofcarversville.com)

From Vogue Australia website (vogue.com.au:(

Models Akiima, Charlee Fraser, Andreja Pejić and Fernanda Ly cover Vogue Australia’s April 2018 issue

18 March 2018

BY THE VOGUE TEAM

In Vogue Australia's April issue, four Australian models–Akiima, Charlee Fraser, Andreja Pejić and Fernanda Ly–share their stories of childhood, challenges and of breaking an archaic beauty mould.

For Vogue Australia's April 2018 issue, on sale March 26, Australian models–Akiima, Charlee Fraser, Andreja Pejić and Fernanda Ly–share their stories of childhood, challenges and of breaking Australia's homogeneous beauty mould. In this issue, they have penned powerful, personal stories for Vogue about their modelling careers and upbringings.

Akiima, from Adelaide, was born in a small village while her family was travelling to a Kenyan refugee camp while fleeing war-ravaged South Sudan. She writes: “Unfortunately we don’t get to see the diversity of Australian beauty. We have come a long way, but we still need to discuss diversity in the modelling industry … because we don’t want to keep asking for a spotlight.”

Andreja Pejić says that the fact that her body is presented as an unrealistic ideal of ‘beauty’ to the world doesn’t stop her, or most other models, from feeling unsure about themselves. “Adding to this is the fact that I am also a trans person, a war refugee, and that my long-lost father doesn’t drive a Rolls-Royce and my mother is not a former Hollywood actress with status and fame. In light of this, I have plenty of reasons to wonder: ‘How the **** did I get here?’” But of her Vogue cover, shared with three other Australian beauties, she writes: “The idea is simple, but clear and important: we’re all different, but still the same.”

Fraser believes: “We’re slowly turning a page in the book of time and beginning to perceive beauty in all forms of race and colour. People often ask me what it’s like to be a role model for young Indigenous women and I often don’t know how to respond. I guess it’s because I’ve never sat down and thought of myself in those terms.”

“Must there always be a bracketed ‘Australian-born Chinese’?” asks Fernanda Ly, perhaps best known in the modelling world as a face of Louis Vuitton. “Why not stop with merely ‘Australian’? … racial dysphoria is a concept I am constantly struggling with … Cultural heritage does not simply disappear … I feel like an eternal floater. I was raised in what I would consider to be a disjointed mess of Australian, Chinese and Vietnamese upbringing.”

Credit:
https://www.vogue.com.au/fashion/ne...mage-gallery/8c4aed49a89684da8ea2edd4ad2d39da

Wow, they look joyless in every single shot. What a waste.

A cover is still an achievement - but so many important or interesting stories shoehorned together into the same feature with bland photography, when you know they'll go back to someone like Cate Blanchett with the next issue, with a special theme where it's clear everyone has made an effort.

So Christine must like Charlee a lot? I like her just as much, but I'd never do the rest of the cast dirty like that. I'm sorry, but Akiima's pieces doesn't suit her frame at all! That blue jumper and skirt combo looks so slovenly, and she sticks out in an awkward way next to the others. Should've gotten Nicole Bentley to shoot this story. She'd at least have done more effort. I liked her edit with Duckie Thot a few months ago.
I hope VA will continue to book these girls on a regular basis.

I find all their viewpoints interesting because it differs so vastly from one another. Don't personally agree with Fernanda's contention, but she's entitled to her opinion.

Actually enjoyed this issue, and wow Andreja's article is really beautiful, and well written, she did so good. Hope everyone gets to read it.

CASTING ALL
Stylist: Christine Centenera
Hair: Jimmy Paul & Didier Malige
Make-Up: Gucci Westman & Maki Ryoke
Models: Fernanda Ly, Akiima, Charlee Fraser & Andreja Pejić

Vogue Australia Digital Edition

GIRL IN REPOSE
Photographer: Sebastian Kim
Stylist: Katie Mossman
Hair: Bok-Hee
Make-Up: Yumi
Models: Charlee Fraser & Danielle Lashley

Edwina McCann's editor's letter: April 2018
Vogue has documented Australia’s most successful models for almost six decades and this month’s cover is extra-special because of the extraordinary women it features together. Australian beauties, both male and female, feature heavily on the international runways, but never before have we seen so many home-grown models at the top of their game from such diverse backgrounds. It felt timely to celebrate that fact, because it truly reflects who we are. Despite being a multicultural country, we have long subscribed to a homogenous standard of beauty. Charlee Fraser, Akiima, Fernanda Ly and Andreja Pejić prove that thinking–and casting–is archaic.

Even more impressive than getting these four women in the same room are the powerful, personal stories they wrote for Vogue about their modelling careers and upbringings.

Akiima, last year’s modelling sensation from Adelaide, was born in a small village while her family was travelling to a Kenyan refugee camp while fleeing war-ravaged South Sudan. She writes: “Unfortunately we don’t get to see the diversity of Australian beauty. We have come a long way, but we still need to discuss diversity in the modelling industry … because we don’t want to keep asking for a spotlight.”

“Must there always be a bracketed ‘Australian-born Chinese’?” asks Ly, perhaps best known in the modelling world as a face of Louis Vuitton. “Why not stop with merely ‘Australian’? … racial dysphoria is a concept I am constantly struggling with … Cultural heritage does not simply disappear … I feel like an eternal floater. I was raised in what I would consider to be a disjointed mess of Australian, Chinese and Vietnamese upbringing.”

Pejić says that the fact that her body is presented as an unrealistic ideal of ‘beauty’ to the world doesn’t stop her, or most other models, from feeling unsure about themselves. “Adding to this is the fact that I am also a trans person, a war refugee, and that my long-lost father doesn’t drive a Rolls-Royce and my mother is not a former Hollywood actress with status and fame. In light of this, I have plenty of reasons to wonder: ‘How the **** did I get here?’”

But of her Vogue cover, shared with three other Australian beauties, she writes: “The idea is simple, but clear and important: we’re all different, but still the same.”

Fraser believes: “We’re slowly turning a page in the book of time and beginning to perceive beauty in all forms of race and colour. People often ask me what it’s like to be a role model for young Indigenous women and I often don’t know how to respond. I guess it’s because I’ve never sat down and thought of myself in those terms.”

Of course, we can’t discuss the photography of this cover without acknowledging that it was shot by Patrick Demarchelier, about whom allegations emerged just weeks after this shoot. The allegations were difficult to hear and I questioned whether to publish this cover. I asked the models what they thought and they unanimously wanted us to go ahead and reassured us that at no time during the shoot, or others for Vogue, have they felt uncomfortable or suffered anything untoward. I feel that the purpose of this cover – to celebrate the success of four incredible models who represent a modern, diverse and strong Australia in the international fashion industry – is important. It would be wrong for our positive message and purpose of this cover, which is all about empowerment (as evidenced by the accompanying essays the women wrote for us) was undermined by the allegations. And so I hope you will enjoy and appreciate this cover and the inside story in the manner in which it was conceived and delivered, knowing that the participants fully support and approved its publication.

ROMANCING THE STONE
Photographer: Nicole Bentley
Stylist: Kate Davill
Hair: Koh
Make-Up: Kellie Stratton
Model: Georgia Fowler

PRIME TIME
Photographer: Robbie Fimmano
Stylist: Petta Chua
Hair: Alan White
Make-Up: Peter Beard
Model/Celebrity: Katherine Langford (star of 13 Reasins Why)

TOUCH POINT
Stylist: Christine Centenera
Hair: Didier Malige
Make-Up: Lucia Pica
Model/Celebrity: Phoebe Tonkin

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members