Vogue Australia April 2020 : Dua Lipa by Charlie Dennington

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by AL92, Mar 21, 2020.

1. AL92

AL92 Well-Known Member

2. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Maybe all this Rona panic has all the editors in a tizz because yet again a cover which should never have seen the light of day. They're saying Sydney Mardi Gras, but where's the energy? The composition is lazy, she looks bored, and the front arm looks disembodied. I expected this to have been styled by Christine, that's how underwhelming it is.

I sometimes get the impression that Edwina doesn't really scrutinise the fashion content and just take what's suggested to her, especially when it comes to the younger cover subjects.

3. magsaddict

magsaddict Well-Known Member

Do we even know who Dua Lipa is in Australia? Barely.
    Another 'exclusive' precisely nobody is dying to read. Out of touch. Maybe it's impressive to advertisers when they can get 'big names' to shoot for Vogue Australia, and I use the term 'big names' loosely.

4. [Piece Of Me]

[Piece Of Me] Well-Known Member

Well, she has had eight top 20 hits in Australia so far, so I assume she is pretty well known! Just because you may not like her, doesn't mean she is a nobody. She is one of the biggest female artists in the world at the moment and there is some massive buzz behind her upcoming record so it makes sense to have her on the cover!

jorgepalomo and magsaddict like this.
  5. dontbeadrag

dontbeadrag Well-Known Member

At least now we know there is no way she would be on a Vogue US cover, no way Anna would take the same person on the same month as another Vogue. Honestly, for some reason I have a feeling that Rihanna, Beyonce or Lady Gaga may be on the Vogue US soon.

As for the cover itself - nah, zilch, zero, nada. Will be forgotten in 10 minutes.

6. magsaddict

magsaddict Well-Known Member

Totally, I mean good for her! I more meant it in the sense that VA is a relatively small Vogue and sometimes I get the feeling that their team goes for the international name first, as opposed to who their audience is genuinely looking to read about. I get that she has a lot of followers, but is someone going to spend $8.50 on this magazine when they could probably see the full edit and story on Dua's instagram?

Benn98 likes this.
  7. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Indeed. Yves Saint Laurent Beauty will be chuffed.

RedSmokeRise likes this.
  8. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Utterly-Unknown Member

I think she has a singing voice with broad appeal, a couple catchy singles, and is absolutely stunning (especially without the blonde hair), but I cannot seem to fully get on board with the hype. The more exposure she gets, the less interested I become. To me she's in that Halsey/Bebe Rexha/Katy Perry/Zara Larsson class of pop stars. I'm fine with hearing their music, but would rarely seek it out and certainly couldn't give a hoot about their personal lives. To me, they just lack the charisma or superstar factor that would ever lead me to want to read an article about them or buy a magazine they're fronting.

I'm unsure of how to feel about the cover image itself. It feels a akin to an album cover photo or something? I like the colors, she looks pretty, but I'm a bit bored.

9. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

Serving one kiss live boredom, but it’s a decent cover for VA’s standard.

10. Bertrando3

Bertrando3 Well-Known Member

This is exactly what Edwina explained on the podcast: ''Edwina McCann Short Black with Sandra Sully''. To me this is very boring, but nowadays on Vogue covers you either have this:

- crappy non-sence type of colorful images with no real high fashion purpose (usually on influencers or instagirls or music people like this girl)
    - or the overly intellectual route which many Vogues try to pick from the glorious days of Vogue Italia and where they fail miserably.

Way to go lol...

tigerrouge and Benn98 like this.
  11. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Well it looks clean

12. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

So EVERYONE is an Icon these days, pfft! Call me in15 years time!!

I do get what you are saying Magsaddict, it does seem like VA tries hard in going after international talent, but you can't deny the fact they do get huge names, month after month! It's impressive how A listers are willing to shoot for them, and it's not like for many of them Australian market is top notch priority! So i defo think Edwina has major pull, and is happy to excersize it, but a lot of that comes because of C.Centera too!

The cover is bland though, it's not awful, it's just not impressive either, because she is not selling any part of this idea!

13. matheus_s

matheus_s Well-Known Member

I like it. Like the pose and the colors

14. caioherrero

caioherrero Well-Known Member

I like the cover and the direction of Vogue Austrália

15. aracic

aracic Moderator

The authentic voice of music's new pop icon? Please. She's simply another one in the sea of forgettable hit-making popstars. Also, blonde hair only looked decent on her album artwork. She looks far better with her natural color.

dior_couture1245 likes this.
  16. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

For me, concerning Dua Lipa, nothing's going to compare or even come remotely close to the gorgeousness of her Vogue Spain cover from October 2019 by Luigi & Iango. That being said, I do rate this more than I did Dua's cover of British Vogue.

tigerrouge and slayage like this.
  17. Zorka

Zorka Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

DUA
    Photographer:
    Charles Dennington
    Stylist: Jillian Davison
    Hair: Anna Cofone
    Make-Up: Samantha Lau
    Model/Celebrity: Dua Lipa

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Vogue Australia Digital Edition

18. dior_couture1245

dior_couture1245 Fat Karl

This girl brings nothing to the table.

tigerrouge likes this.
  19. caioherrero

caioherrero Well-Known Member

Nothing good!
    But I like the cover. Remember that beautiful Rihanna cover

20. [Piece Of Me]

[Piece Of Me] Well-Known Member

Every music critic seems to disagree as Future Nostalgic is getting among the best reviews of the year so far on basically every platform.

zoom likes this.