Vogue Australia July 2016 : Mia Wasikowska by Nicole Bentley

1a507a0ad15e706581a7d9e0d4948829_zpszbsqanws.jpg

source: news.com.au​

MIA WASIKOWSKA is emerging from a self-imposed year off after an extraordinary film acting debut at the tender age of 17.

Over the last decade she has made 20-plus films back to back, travelled around the world with filming commitments and split her time between the bright lights of Hollywood and international movie sets with her parents’ home back in Canberra.
It was a period that ultimately left her feeling “discombobulated” and exhausted. So she stopped, bought her first apartment and proceeded to nest (Wasikowska’s interview with Vogue took place in a park near her beachside home in Sydney’s eastern suburbs.]

On her time off from acting and the bright lights of Hollywood, she says “I think it’s so important for your mental health not to only do one thing and be in one world over and over again,” she says. “So it’s been really nice to have this time off.”
“Especially because people get really caught up in films, and if you don’t have any experiences outside of films and you just go back to back to back, it’s just exhausting. I don’t know what you can be putting out if you’re not putting stuff back in. I think it’s so important to take some time.

“It seemed like a good time to have a break and connect back to who I am, and my friends and family and whatever else is important. I’ve been nesting in my home: I’m very much a home body. It’s so cliched to say the simple things are the best but they are! And it’s so nice to wake up in my own home, have a cup of tea and chat with my brother [who is also her flatmate] and then have a friend over and go for a walk. And be on my own clock. Because when you’re on a film you don’t own your time, you’re on such a strict schedule and therefore you don’t really feel like you own yourself either.”

Wasikowska is one of those unique actors who you would not recognise on the street. On the day of her Vogue interview she is make-up free and dressed in her usual uniform of preppy chic: crisp white shirt, knee-length skirt, brogues and a satchel. In person she is unassuming. Yet send her down the red carpet in one of her favourite designers — Miu Miu and Rodarte, for example — and she transforms.

“I only feel that kind of public persona for very specific moments in the year, when I’m on a press tour or a red carpet, because otherwise I have a completely anonymous life, which is really great, and I’m probably only ever recognised for a second when a film comes out and then it goes away and everyone forgets,” she says.

Obviously, that’s just how she likes it. She appears to have made a life where she is finally comfortable in her own skin and operating on her own time.

“I feel like I’ve found my middle ground, which is awesome,” she says. “I’m super-happy and grounded here [in Sydney], and a massive part of keeping grounded is feeling like I have created a life outside of films and that not everything hinges on my next role.”
source: news.com.au​

Why Vogue Australia is following VUS's step? Why they always put celebrities on the cover?

I'm quite liking this. I love Mia and there's something quite magical/wonderful about the cover.

It's a nice cover. Love the styling, the background and palette of colors. Bravo.

Why Vogue Australia is following VUS's step? Why they always put celebrities on the cover?

I imagine the market is very similar to that of the US and UK, as opposed to Europe. Their readers prefer and can relate more to celebrities than models, and that's not changing anytime soon. Vogue Australia's line-up isnt awful tbh, they have great balance going. Of course a second cover for Kim wasnt needed, but alas.

I'm sad about the new art direction! Thought they'd try the centered one out for at least a few issues. I mean I'll readily admit that it was a very restricted type of layout in the sense that it wouldn't work with any image. The general response to it must've been very negative.

So great to see Mia, I love her as an actress and she certainly looks great here as a model. :wink: Great job Vogue Australia!

Shot by Nicole Bentley.
Styled by Kate Darvill.
Make up: Kellie Stratton.
Hair by Sophie Roberts.
qwtA4wpY.jpg

xx4Zua9Y.jpg

3ybwxiPl.jpg

HFJ23jJu.jpg

pKVCsz5c.jpg

wiiuRQhm.jpg

WplBXaSV.jpg

Cz0Pbta3.jpg

http://www.fragmentosdemoda.com/

MIA IN WONDERLAND
PHOTOGRAPHER: NICOLE BENTLEY
CELEB: MIA WASIKOWSKA
STYLING: KATE DARVILL
HAIR: SOPHIE ROBERTS
MAKE UP: KELLIE STRATTON
NAILS: JOCELYN PETRONI

COVER & EDITORIAL IN HQ.

VISUALIZING.FASHION

The rest of Mia's editorial is quite beautifully captured. I thought Bentley only excels in the studio, but clearly not. Mad about the shots with the oversized bow.

Were there any other editorials?

Yes :flower:

Wild at Heart
Stylist: Natasha Royt
Photographer: Benjamin Lennox
Hair: Mari Ohashi
Make up: Karan Franjola
Models: Alice Metza & Yuri Pleskun

Take a Shine
Stylist: Marina Gallo
Photographer: Steven Pan
Hair: Mark Hampton
Make up: Violette
Model: Luna Bijl

Killing Me Softly (Celebrity spread with The Kills. Some rock n roll band :wink:?)
Stylist: Mary Fellowes
Photographer: Mark Squires
Hair & Make up: Jakob Sherwood
Writer: Noelle Faulkner

There is a also a nice, short feature on aboriginal actress Miranda Tapsell and a throwaway bit on rich "Bohemian" women who travel, lounging around in Etro, Missoni etc.

If I can I will upload the eds.

Wild at Heart
Stylist: Natasha Royt
Photographer: Benjamin Lennox
Models: Alice Metza & Yuri Pleskun

Vogue Australia July 2016 Digital Edition

Take a Shine
Photographer:
Steven Pan
Stylist: Marina Gallo
Hair: Mark Hampton
Make up: Violette