Vogue Australia July 2019 : Billie Eilish by Jesse Lizotte

Can’t really be bothered with her music but the cover kind of works.

Different but dated

Very happy for Jesse Lizotte scoring his first Vogue Australia cover! He's been shooting for the magazine for some time now, so it was nice to witness such am build up. One more notch under Edwina's belt.

As for the actual cover, I'm afraid it doesn't appeal to me at all. It's very her. In fact, it looks like her record company's shoot which has been doing the rounds in just about each and every fashion magazine in the world. The same unphotogenic vacant expression, annoying hypebeast styling, wish they did something different with her. But I guess since the magazine is hoping to target a very specific younger reader, they had to present her in this guise. Hard pass for me!

Can't say anything, because I am biased - can't stand her pretentious music and persona.

I don´t care about her but I love this cover, specially the colors. The styling feels very cozy.

As with Rosalia, I love Billie's music but this cover is a non event for me. It's too up close and sleepy, and don't get me started on the layout again.

LOL what the hell is this????????? ahahaha I don´t know who she is but she looks sleepy as f*** and high and the styling is awful and the hair and makeup???? HOW CAN THIS LAND ON A VOGUE COVER??????? This is really a new era...

Billie, the Kid

Photographer: Jesse Lizotte
Stylist: Jillian Davison
Hair: Lok Lau
Makeup: Victoria Baron
Manicure: Sasha Virgil
Cast: Billie Eilish

Despite the issue clocking in at 180 pages which is hefty for July, there's not much in the way of original fashion content. Estelle Hanania's shoot with HyunJi Shin (Vogue China) appears in this issue, as well as Marcus Ohlsson's hair edit for Allure.
So ultimately it's just Billie's cover story, a front of book edit styled as usual by Philippa Moroney with model Aylah Peterson, and 14-page accessories edit with Vanessa Axente and an overly bronzed Australian bodybuilder. It's the kind of edit which wouldn't look out of place in Dazed magazine. Not sure whether I like or loathe it.

The rest of the written content is pretty solid and I find Edwina's direction of this magazine impressive. Her front section is made up almost entirely of long-form copy and not short 100-word snippets like most of the other Vogues. Mia Wasikowska's Australian stage debut is the theatre focus, Olivia Wilde's directorial debut for film, Big Little Lies for tv, Tommy Ton recommending coffee table books, Aussie fashion brand Templa, a local STEM intern as part of Vogue Codes (the magazine's initiative to spotlight women in the tech industry), and a piece on sustainability in the fashion industry. So you have a full lifestyle scope in under 20 pages. Wish Tonchi would take note.

Main written features start with a reprint of Pierpaolo Piccoli's Italian escape which appeared in American Vogue, a tribute to Carolyn Bessette Kennedy as she passed away 20 years ago next month, and Lynn Yaeger expanding on the cult of camp. And to further on that camp article, Vogue Vault, which is monthly throwback column shortly after Edwina's editor letter, gives us some trivia around their iconic Sophie Monk cover:

Vogue Australia Digital Edition

The styling and colours are ambitious but it just reminds me of some teenage girl magazine.

Heavy Weights

Photographer: Simon Eeles
Stylist: Jillian Davison
Hair: Sophie Roberts
Makeup: Linda Jefferyes
Cast: Vanessa Axente, Matt Beer

Vogue Australia Digital Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member