Vogue China August 2020 : Natalia Vodianova by Estelle Hanania

LQ preview, wearing Dior Fall 2007 Couture

weibo.com/voguechina

ib4 a disaster is happening.

So far this has the same ‘energy’ as a Collier Schor shoot. It’s boring, stiff and lifeless.

Oh God, the preview is even worse. Looks like someone who got dressed in the dark. It wasn't enough to ruin OG Dior, they had to ruin Galliano's as well? Imagine how the pieces from Raf's tenure will look like.

Somewhere in her Italian villa, Mary must be cackling!

Last edited:
This only shows us that it takes skill to properly rip off legendary photographers. So, so weak.
It's a shame! With these archival pieces, this cover story could've been stunning. I'm still excited to see the full version, but it just doesn't seem appealing. The lighting is weak, beauty team did a terrible job and the poses so far seem to be quite uneventful.

It’s great to see archival Dior instead of some landscapes and drawings in these times but unfortunately it isn’t well executed. I think with a different photographer this shoot would be much better. Imagine if it was shot by someone like Meisel or maybe Nick Knight.

Unbelievable that they somehow made a 1947's Dior bar jacket look dull af... Also is there a particular reason Vogue China shot these outfits from Dior's archive?

0st3nd's fan made covers are more appealing than that.

This looks like your recent entry in Cover Challenge, 0st3nd!! But yours was better!

Basic.

Awwww you guys!!! Thank you so much! Really appreciate it!!

Some rumor said that the August issue cover should be Angelababy, however the editor change the idea last minute.

Thank god they didn't end up with her on the cover...

Also is there a particular reason Vogue China shot these outfits from Dior's archive?
Dior is bring its “Christian Dior: Designer of Dreams” exhibition to Shanghai this month, and they are bombarding cover after cover in China recently, so it’s also funny to see the biggest and most important one BOMBED.

Last edited:
Dior is bring its “Christian Dior: Designer of Dreams” exhibition to Shanghai this month, and they are bombarding cover after cover in China recently, so it’s also funny to see the biggest and most important one BOMBED.
Thanks for the info!

And yeah, how on earth is Dior ok with this level of poor execution

Angelica said in her Instagram post that there are three models in this ed
angelica_cheung_75207283_325179521832764_6393219209741759746_n.jpg angelica_cheung_106561213_120530749432921_1004264199643343400_n.jpg
(Source: Instagram/Angelica_cheung)

It looks half ***ed. If they wanted a full 50s dior experience I think they could've gone the homage route. Mariacarla channeling Jean Patchett (remember that Vogue Italia cover with the red suit?), Grace Elizabeth/Suzy Parker, Fei Fei/China Machado, Daria Strokous/Carmen Dell'Orefice... the list goes on.

I love the Meisel edit above where Natalia re-did all the iconic model photos. Good times :(.

This had to be shot via Zoom? No? Someone actually shot this in a studio? How long ago though?

So many questions, but at the end of the day she looks super-imposed onto that rank background that even Danko Steiner wouldn't use.

I’d blame the photographer and director for this
Natalia is a great model and the Archive Dior is classic even 100 years passed from
now
Really can’t imaging any new upcoming photographer would give their own twist for these pieces
Hugo could be interesting

The cover stroy is such a joke, a tragedy. The photographer did a terrible job, and the models are so random.
I feel so sorry for Natalia.
What happened to Vogue China? Looks like it's very difficult for them to make a decent issue.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

Did a quick search for the photographer
How could she make a living as a photographer is a mystery

They look like terrible test shots, the lighting isn’t right, styling, casting, the hair & makeup too. The whole editorial is missing the drama & glamour that it needs to elevate the clothes/concept.

Txema Yeste would of been a great choice of photographer for this, similar to his Karlie Kloss Vogue Spain December 2019 editorial which was in the same vein, that would of brought this cover/editorial to the level it needed to be.

He Cong, Karlie Kloss, Fei Fei Sun, Grace Elizabeth, Imaan Hamman & Maria Carla would of been better choices for the cast. Models that already possess a grace & dramatic flare that this needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yams Yamborghini
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"