Vogue China March 2018 : Liu Wen by Ben Toms

FULL BLOOM
Photographer: Ben Toms
Stylist: Katie Shillingford
Model: Liu Wen

weibo.com/voguechina

Happy to see Liu Wen on a cover!

She's beautiful as usual, nice cover, I like balanced tones, although the concept isn't too "ground-breaking".

Very understated for March, but I like this continued support of Liu Wen and Ben Toms! Because lets be honest, she's the only Asian model slated to become major and he's certainly better than Roe Ethridge. The floral arrangement probably wouldn't make sense for impulse buyers, but it's a recurring theme in Toms' work, so I can appreciate it.

This magazine has COMPLETELY lost its edge.. WOW !!!

Source @voguechina Instagram

27541130_10155465553308031_4907397817730509444_n.jpg

Nice cover, thanks for sharing and always happy to see Liu! Although the styling seems not very good on her, she is still a good choice for March!

I think Liu is losing her glamour of being a solely model.With the huge growing number of her fans, she becomes a fashion icon in China and at the same time she is being defined.I can tell what the March issue wants to express,but is Liu the best choice? I don’t think so.She is really not working on it.I haven’t seen her editorials make people wow for ages.

I think Liu is losing her glamour of being a solely model.With the huge growing number of her fans, she becomes a fashion icon in China and at the same time she is being defined.I can tell what the March issue wants to express,but is Liu the best choice? I don’t think so.She is really not working on it.I haven’t seen her editorials make people wow for ages.

I'm a big fan of hers, but I agree with you. That's what happened to Du Juan after years of support from VC and she just sort of fizzled out. What made Kate, Gisele, Lara and Natalia household names was the sheer diversity of photographers and brands they worked with. Maybe if Liu can get the same treatment we'd get more from fashion from her. Indeed, with US Vogue's March shoot last year her shots was the best. Ok, so it's maybe not that hard to topple the Instagirls and Ashley Graham, but Imaan and Vittoria was there as well. The industry should just give her more bookings.

Vogue China actually backed Fei Fei and Xiao Wen Ju more than Liu Wen. It's only the past few years when they properly build her up, probably because she showed more promise to become a supermodel than the other two. It couldn't have been easy for her to get where she was because she's not a classic Chinese beauty, nor does she have Meisel in her pocket. One must at least applaud that perseverance.

I'm a big fan of hers, but I agree with you. That's what happened to Du Juan after years of support from VC and she just sort of fizzled out. What made Kate, Gisele, Lara and Natalia household names was the sheer diversity of photographers and brands they worked with. Maybe if Liu can get the same treatment we'd get more from fashion from her. Indeed, with US Vogue's March shoot last year her shots was the best. Ok, so it's maybe not that hard to topple the Instagirls and Ashley Graham, but Imaan and Vittoria was there as well. The industry should just give her more bookings.

Vogue China actually backed Fei Fei and Xiao Wen Ju more than Liu Wen. It's only the past few years when they properly build her up, probably because she showed more promise to become a supermodel than the other two. It couldn't have been easy for her to get where she was because she's not a classic Chinese beauty, nor does she have Meisel in her pocket. One must at least applaud that perseverance.

I do agree with most of what you said.I want to emphasize that I didn't blame on Liu.I just feel sorry for Liu,or rather, for the current situation of the industry.I'm appreciate of Liu's perseverance for sure.But I don't think the treatment of the industry can be the convincing reason why Liu's recent work ist flat.I mean,models like Gigi、Bella or Kendall can easily have chances of working with the biggest clients,however,they haven't left many classics.In the meantime there are bunches of girls who impress people frequently even though they lack of opportunities of cooperating with great magazines,brands and photographers.The effect of one’s editorial work is determined by her own efforts.

358P

ARTIST’S MUSE - 12P
Makeup: Hiromi Ueda
Hair: Mari Ohashi
Nails: Tomoko Komiya

OLD MODERN GLAMOUR - 13P
Photographer: Benjamin Huseby
Stylist: Hannes Hetta
Model: Chu Wong
Makeup: Topolino
Hair: Tomohiro Ohashi

BRIGHT SPARK - 12P
Photographer: Yelena Yemchuk
Stylist: Cathy Kasterine
Models: Lucan Gillespie, Jip Boxstart & Sijia Kang
Makeup: Lucy Bridge
Hair: Neil Moodie
Nails: Michelle Humphrey

RUFFLED UP - 10P
Photographer: Tina Tyrell
Stylist: Regina Chan
Model: Mona Matsuoka
Makeup: Seong Hee Park
Hair: Shinya Nakagawa

BRIGHT & SHINY - 6P
Photographer: Yubo Zhou
Stylist: Teresa Sun
Model: Xie Xin
Makeup: Qian Wong
Hair: Xueliang Liu
Nails: Lily

THE SUPER OF A SUPER - 2P

THROUGH THICK AND THIN - 1P
Stylist: Caroline Kong
Model: Yidan Huang
Makeup: Jiqun Li
Hair: Peng Gao

ARTIST'S MUSE
Make-Up: Hiromi Ueda

Vogue China Digital Edition

OLD MODERN GLAMOUR
Make-Up: Topolino

BRIGHT SPARK
Make-Up: Lucy Bridge

BRIGHT & SHINY
Make-Up: Qian Wong

THE SUPER OF A SUPER
Make-Up: Hiromi Ueda

Thanks a lot for posting the editorials Zorka, wonderful work as usual :smile:

358P

ARTIST’S MUSE - 12P

OLD MODERN GLAMOUR - 13P
Makeup: Topolino

BRIGHT SPARK - 12P
Makeup: Lucy Bridge
Nails: Michelle Humphrey

RUFFLED UP - 10P
Photographer: Tina Tyrell
Stylist: Regina Chan
Model: Mona Matsuoka
Makeup: Seong Hee Park
Hair: Shinya Nakagawa

BRIGHT & SHINY - 6P
Makeup: Qian Wong
Nails: Lily

THE SUPER OF A SUPER - 2P

THROUGH THICK AND THIN - 1P
Stylist: Caroline Kong
Model: Yidan Huang
Makeup: Jiqun Li
Hair: Peng Gao

Thanks so much for the review MDNA, looking forward to seeing "Ruffled Up" with Mona Matsuoka.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yams Yamborghini
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"