Vogue China November 2020 : Liu Wen by Six Different Photographers

Wow, the Wenxin Zhang cover is my favourite! Who needs Summerton and boring Backoff? The Zhang cover is hands down the magazine's best cover of the year.
I also like the Imano cover, especially with her blank pose and the imposing Oriental Pearl Tower in the background. Very Japanese style of photography.

I must say it's such a stunning, surprising, and deserving way to celebrate Liu Wen. It's almost criminal when you consider that she's so respected in the fashion industry and on the same level as Karlie and Joan, but have less than 5 international covers. At least she's got two of the big 4 so far but where's Vogue Paris and UK Vogue???

Xie Qi cover can put every Italian Vogue wannabe to shame! Congrats to Vogue China

Newsstand Cover: Emma Summerton
Tmall & JD Exclusive Cover: Carin Backoff
Digital Covers: Wenxin Zhang, Ziqian Wang, Xie Qi & Fumiko Imano

Great covers! Ziqian Wang and Emma's covers are my favourites! Finally a descent issue of vogue china after months.

Wow, the Wenxin Zhang cover is my favourite! Who needs Summerton and boring Backoff? The Zhang cover is hands down the magazine's best cover of the year.
I also like the Imano cover, especially with her blank pose and the imposing Oriental Pearl Tower in the background. Very Japanese style of photography.

I must say it's such a stunning, surprising, and deserving way to celebrate Liu Wen. It's almost criminal when you consider that she's so respected in the fashion industry and on the same level as Karlie and Joan, but have less than 5 international covers. At least she's got two of the big 4 so far but where's Vogue Paris and UK Vogue???

Asian models rarely get the opportunities to shoot the covers of famous magazines. A Caucasian model or an African model can shoot more major magazine covers in one year than an Asian model like Liu Wen has taken in ten years. This is the situation of fashion industry.

This is so great for Liu! Well deserved. Great set of covers!

I just order Carin Backoff's cover but it's a bit odd to see a bra top on a November cover.:lol:

Newsstand Cover: Emma Summerton
Tmall & JD Exclusive Cover: Carin Backoff
Digital Covers: Wenxin Zhang, Ziqian Wang, Xie Qi & Fumiko Imano

Why would they give Summerton the newsstand cover? That's so far removed from the magazine's aesthetic.

Liu Wen can do no wrong. Best thing that came out from China.

Is this a dedicated issue or just multiple covers?

Until these covers I haven't realised how much the hieroglyphs before the VOGUE logo bother me. I can image how much cleaner and better these would look if they were put inside the O.

Liu Wen is amazing, as usual.

Compositionally, it’s the most striking and strongest cover. Too bad it’s marred by the unnecessary clutter of the overlay, which drags it down to a juvenile sensibility.

You know, one thing I’m proud of for Asian publications— in particular VC, is that rather than force/pressure representation onto other Vogues, they simply set out to have their own Vogue, on their own terms. Anna’s/Emanuel's/Emmanuelle’s/Edward's Vogues will not cast a sole Asian to grace their covers anytime soon (with Emmanuelle, I respect her for at least keeping high fashion alive on her own terms, while the blatant discrimination of the others, especially Edward, is just not worth the breath anymore), so why not celebrate your own, your way, your terms?

I’m not a fan of what VC has become— an utter snoozefest. But at least, unlike Voge Japan, they do remember their own for their covers. And some of these covers are their strongest in a while. And despite Emma’s rather plaintive and commercial shot, Wen looks so unlike her usual self that it does make sense for it to be the newsstand cover.

Summerton's cover is undoubtedly the weakest among all six yet still it was chosen to hit the newsstand. Honestly I can't recall liking even one single VC cover shot by her. Most of the time I find Angelica Chueng's choices are a bit confusing, aesthetic wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->