Vogue Czechoslovakia December 2018 : Kirsten Owen by Michal Pudelka

Nope, not ageist and not saying a celebrity should be on the cover. You are projecting your own biases. Just because someone is a model, even if they've been working on and off for 30 years, it doesn't mean she automatically deserves to be on a Vogue cover. A 16 year old who's just started modeling last week doesn't deserve a Vogue cover either just b/c she's a 16 year old model. The question is about whether someone deserves to be on a Vogue cover, not just on any cover. Trying to shut down someone for even asking the question is rather ridiculous.

Nope, not ageist and not saying a celebrity should be on the cover. You are projecting your own biases. Just because someone is a model, even if they've been working on and off for 30 years, it doesn't mean she automatically deserves to be on a Vogue cover. A 16 year old who's just started modeling last week doesn't deserve a Vogue cover either just b/c she's a 16 year old model. The question is about whether someone deserves to be on a Vogue cover, not just on any cover. Trying to shut down someone for even asking the question is rather ridiculous.
And questioning her appearance on this cover because she is not on the same level as Naomi or Christy is not projecting your own biases?

Well, I think owen TOTALLY deserves this cover. She is been working as a model for decades and always brings us amazing work
But this is not a good Vogue cover, more like a campaign, .....just not right

Kirsten Owen is one the original cool girl fashion muses. Like Stella, Freja, Guinevere, Julia Nobis and so forth. Beloved by the industry. Always looking modern and relevant even as culture changes and evolves. Iconic and certainly beyond cover worthy.

My thing with her being on the cover has nothing to do with "deserving", it is quite the opposite. Why would she front the cover of a "smaller" Vogue? Why the choice? I'm used to see her in cult editorials or along other models from the 90s, not on some random cover on some random new-Vogue. Vogue Paris? Sure. But here? With this "theme"? Why?

Reminds me when Guinevere did that Vogue Portugal cover. She is one of my favourite models and that is probably my favourite cover ever from Vogue Portugal but it felt incredibly random as she is too big/cult for the magazine and too unknown (locally) at the same time. At least it was something based on her. Here it's a Warhol special. Even more random.

People don't do their fashion history homework and it's evidently a problem as here we are now, year 2018, with people just talking because talking is like oxygen, there and free. I know, 2008 was a-m-a-z-i-n-g and Natasha Poly and Anja whatever and yadda yadda (uh huh) and before that a bunch of things happened and before that bunch of things, the 4-8 Supermodels that make a comeback every 3 years and made a lot of men horny in the early 90s, yeah, but before THAT and during their painfully commercial bombarding of editorials in Vogue, restaurateur adventures, Playboy appearances and the like, women like Kirsten were doing far more experimental work for Japanese designers and publications that were defying what I just mentioned and creating a path for what models can do and for photography and the impact of stories that everyone just takes for granted now (because Meisel or some other fool did a watered down, for-dummies version where your big high fashion expectations are rooted on lol) and guess what? she did not "convert" or tried to grab opportunities to finally have her 'big commercial break', she has, since before many of us were born, worked consistently with people that were trying to think a little bit outside the box. Know decades, social context and the value of creators at the time and then suggest some of these crucial players have done nothing to receive minimal exposure in a small publication everyone bashes for inexplicable reasons every month. It's not perfect (I guess? never flipped through it), but gotta love the 'Vogue is too commercial! trash! so safe!', and when it wanders off that path it's 'too damn pretentious'.. you're looking at V-O-G-U-E, my friends, do you expect a refined, mind-blowing drink when you open a can of coca-cola? you don't, just be thankful they add cherry from time to time.. (here).

There are a couple of absolutely awesome Beauty editorials with Karolina Kurkova in this issue, as well. They're on her Instagram

Tacky, unimaginative, redundant, random and pretentious. Warhol's been done to death and Raf using him to spice up his drab clothes is another proof that he's lost it. Composition wise the first one's a mess and the second one is just laughable.

P.S: Surprised that there are people in here defending the memory of Warhol, he was an artist as long as you consider self-promotion an art, in that case he's an unrivalled master. As for his mass produced kitsch fest, well...

^ I'll wait for the whole story first. It was shot in Medzilaborce, Slovakia where Warhol's parents came from. I kinda like the idea of using the location and it's always great to see Pudelka's work, but so far, this has been just plain boring and random, yeah.

Beauty editorials with Karolina Kurkova in this issue, as well.
Kurkova again? Why do castings when you have models working on your creative team, am I right? :innocent:
Did Daniela Pestová or Daniela Kociánová get an editorial yet? At least Eva is professional enough to keep herself out.

Kurkova again? Why do castings when you have models working on your creative team, am I right? :innocent:
Did Daniela Pestová or Daniela Kociánová get an editorial yet? At least Eva is professional enough to keep herself out.
She is not part of the creative team, if I'm not mistaken.
I would appreciate casting of Czech and Slovak models rather than these seemingly randomly picked supermodels (Lara, now Kirsten). I understand that they're trying to build relevance by casting these big names, but imo they should actually create their own DNA by using fresh faces and making their own stars.

^ I'll wait for the whole story first. It was shot in Medzilaborce, Slovakia where Warhol's parents came from. I kinda like the idea of using the location and it's always great to see Pudelka's work, but so far, this has been just plain boring and random, yeah.

Yes!!! That's exactly what I thought when I saw the cover. Thank you for putting it in words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->