Vogue España December 2011 : Dree Hemingway by Bruce Weber

^Yeah, I get your point.
I remember that at the time Amber´s cover was also controversial...

Vogue Joyas Supplement Cover

632aeee2jw1dnsp4jeaz3j.jpg

weibo

im dying to see dree's editorial! when does it come out?

I don't mind the decision to heavily feature one photographer, but unfortunately, Bruce's work didn't do much for me, so there was little else to make the purchase worthwhile. I buy Vogue Espana most months, so if one issue doesn't appeal, then I just start looking forward to the next one... I couldn't have predicted Dree with a baby for December, so I'm ready to be surprised with something else for the start of 2012.

i was about to buy it but i didnt really like the Bruce ed´s inside...they are kind of boring and Drees too

You can credit Spanish Vogue for landing Bruce Weber to shoot an entire issue. Although I don't feel the credit should be applied upon flicking through the magazine. Yet this isn't coming from a Weber fan, quite frankly I don't recall one editorial I've admired from him. It's a pretty big issue, for December, but just full of nothing.. for me, anyways. I guess Yolanda gave me an entire Natasha Poly issue, so I won't slate her magazine too much.

If you get a Bruce Weber editorial in Vogue Italia, even if you don't like it, it can still work well as a momentary change of pace amid the many other shoots in the issue - but when it's Bruce on his own and you're not in the mood for his world, his work can easily pass you by. It's no insult to his mastery, only that - personally - I would have appreciated him more if there had been a bit more content to contrast with his in the main section.

The cover is weeeiiiiird but the inside is pretty good.

"How do you judge a book? Go beyond the cover. B)"

To be honest, the only thing I found weird about this entire issue are the weird comments made about it, it's kind of uncomfortable to read some of the things that have been posted here. I don't really think Bruce Weber or Dree's pose suggest something awkward at all, let alone trashy, everything, from the light, to the clothes, pose, angle, expression, it seems to convey a softness that's actually quite characteristic of Weber's work and something that's usually an extra element in his stories instead of 'center stage', he reserves that for commercial, pretty face shots, whereas shots like this, that are clearly speaking a more motherly/family/whathaveyou language are meant to complement his stories the same way landscapes do, this time it is a baby, other times it's a grandmother or a best friend. I'm pleased to see it wasn't a 'steamy' shot from the Friends & Lovers editorial, which, yes, would've melted a good percentage of those disliking the baby but wouldn't have explored a side of Bruce's work that's as elemental to his aesthetic as this type of shot is.

I do love Bruce's work, I can name countless stories that he's done over the years and that have turned out to be pretty much classics, you see traces of his work in many young (and not so young) photographers. I really admire Vogue España for dedicating an entire issue to his work, one of the best things they've done in a while. His pictures, despite being quite summery, definitely put you in that Christmas-y mood as it's all about spending time with loved ones. So, good call, Vogue España :heart:. Might as well get this when I see this next week.

"Friends... Lovers... and an American Girl Named Dree" - 1. part

'Friends... Lovers... and an American Girl Named Dree' by Bruce Weber for the December 2011 issue of Spanish Vogue. The story features Dree Hemingway, Juan Heredia, Marlon Teixeira, Marloes Horst, Adam Senn, Magdalena Frackowiak, Nathan Voronyak, Francisco Javier Escobar, Jeremy Everett, Aaron O'Connell , Jeff Aquilon and many more.

homotography.blogspot.com

"Friends... Lovers... and an American Girl Named Dree" - 2. part

homotography.blogspot.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Must have! reminds me of his mid 00s Vogue Paris work.. mostly just thinking of Bohème D'Été and Play Couture. :heart:

Love the 1979 pic of Mariel!.

Thank you, Jessica.

Is it absurd that I didn't know Dree was Mariel's daughter? :unsure::lol:
Love the 1979 picture as well! The ed is really nice. Great to see Bruce Weber's work.

Always love Bruces' work. Thanks for sharing, jessica909!

I like the eds as much as I dislike the cover. I think the issue is just perfect. IMO those people who made the cover(choose it) are responsible for the fact that nobody liked the cover and as a result many people wont' buy it. (I for example love Dree but I (almost) hate the cover, so I didn't order it and I regret it now.) They decided to go with the "Christmas theme" and made it wrong, well it happens. VS gained my respect this year, they had fantastic covers and wonderful eds.

You can have a Bruce Weber photography book, and it's Vogue España, CONGRATZ!!!

I just got this issue today and It was the best Christmas gift i could ever imagine! I had no idea there were so many Bruce Weber pages inside and since he is my all time favorite photographer it was a blast to flip through the pages! Not a fan of Dree, but Weber is always Weber and he can never disappoint us, his fans!
I finally FINALLY got my hands on this tonight :smile:lol:smile: and you are so right, a collector's item through and through, he goes from easy breezy spreads to politics to charity and personal stories, it's a beautiful thing to have even if you are not that familiarised with his work.. every element of his photographs seems to have so much meaning and.. soul?, even choosing Dree doesn't feel like a vapid 'it girl' choice but a genuine infatuation with her personality and future. And I love what he said about the baby, that he was told in Tahiti that "kids belong to us" and that it is our duty to treat them right and be kind to them and let them bloom, so by photographing Dree hugging a baby he wanted to make a point on hugging all kids.

I also love the interview with Dree, how she named her dog Weber and he asks her about it :lol:, and then he teases her for the amount of requests from guys asking him for Dree's phone number after a photoshoot ends. He sounds like a hilarious man, in a granpa kind of way. :heart:

Anyway, fantastic issue, I don't think I've been this thrilled about any Vogue since the Vogue Paris June/July 2005 issue dedicated to Brazil (which coincidentally, also featured Weber).

I have it, too. I like the cover and I don't understand why so much hate about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Realktz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"