Vogue France October 2022 : Lous and the Yakuza by Anthony Seklaoui

A complete flop in my books. That jacket is unsightly.

I love her but they made her boring and flat which is almost impossible to achieve but they did it, congrats Vogue France :clap:

You've never been to France, have you?:ermm::rofl:
I saw too many French movies, hahaha. Love their cinema, my favorite is Eric Rohmer. And I love their muses as Deneuve and Huppert. I didn't know about this girl until yesterday. If it wasn't for the comments, and her name on the cover, I mistake her for a new model. But she's not that famous as everybody says here, nobody has a clue who she is here. Also, since when LV under Nicolas is the epitome of France??! When I think in French fashion, my thoughts goes to Chanel, Dior (well, years before the current era) and Saint Laurent. Most of LV embassadors are not French. I don't see France in Nicolas Ghesquiere aesthetic. He is more futuristic, and that's the reason I understand why he choose her. Vuitton doesn't represents France at all, it's more global. That's my opinion about that brand. In another note, well, I will listen some of her songs now, I'm curious. If she's another Gen Z singer, not my cup of tea.

The then BIG FOUR doesn't exist now. American Vogue is slowly becoming a pamphlet with repetitive editorial concepts, while this and Italian Vogue are infested with reprints.
I can still defend British Vogue because it's a huge upgrade from Shulman's era.

I don't think the concept of the "big four" Vogues has existed since Franca's death, to be honest.

That hair, dreadful. She looks so lifeless, and she is so pretty! How to even do that?

Not what I would expect from this Vogue but at least is eye catching and interesting imo...

I saw too many French movies, hahaha. Love their cinema, my favorite is Eric Rohmer. And I love their muses as Deneuve and Huppert. I didn't know about this girl until yesterday. If it wasn't for the comments, and her name on the cover, I mistake her for a new model. But she's not that famous as everybody says here, nobody has a clue who she is here. Also, since when LV under Nicolas is the epitome of France??! When I think in French fashion, my thoughts goes to Chanel, Dior (well, years before the current era) and Saint Laurent. Most of LV embassadors are not French. I don't see France in Nicolas Ghesquiere aesthetic. He is more futuristic, and that's the reason I understand why he choose her. Vuitton doesn't represents France at all, it's more global. That's my opinion about that brand. In another note, well, I will listen some of her songs now, I'm curious. If she's another Gen Z singer, not my cup of tea.
She is a relatively new artist. She really had a rise during the pandemic but it’s true that historically, for the past 20 years maybe, VP has always put local but big stars: Deneuve, Marceau, Paradis, Gainsbourg also because those women had a real connection with brands and designers. Someone like Emmanuelle Béart hasn’t been on the cover for years and will never be on the cover again for example…
Lous speaks to a new generation. She is very Vogue Paris because precisely she is not mainstream and yet she is on the campaigns of Louis Vuitton. She has opened the resort and closed the fall collection. She has been an ambassador for Vuitton for quite sometimes now…

It’s funny that you think that Nicolas’s Vuitton is not French because his aesthetic couldn’t be more French. That kind of futurism, mix and match of aesthetic is in it essence very French…We think about Pierre Cardin, Jean Paul Gaultier or people like Paco Rabanne. His aesthetic wouldn’t have been what it is without that specific heritage of French fashion.

And France is changing. And I like that. That era of opulence, class is no more or has to change. Women don’t wear furs and gowns to go to the opera, the bourgeoise of the 16th arrondissement wears jeans and Isabel Marant.

It has always been my complain about Emmanuelle’s Vogue…How narrow and dated sometimes her point of view of Paris was. And while I don’t like or don’t get the new direction of Vogue Paris or France or whatever it should be called, I like that someone like Lous, who is maybe more edgy than Carla Bruni in jeans, can be on the cover…

Finally! The women who got blue ticked by Emmanuelle Alt all those years will finally get their due.
Lous and the Yakuza have been active for a while and appeared in many French magazines (I think she's got a Marie Claire cover as well). Happy for her.

The result is flat, however. That Vuitton looks like a corny prop used in a Glenda Bailey editorial. The few times Vanessa Reid styles a Vogue cover and this is what we get? Stick to the indies!

Interesting composition and layout....but the eyes without any intention...lazy....i hope inside it;s better not like the Kate Moss disaster from September.

And about what is Paris or not, i think in general the cities are changing. The historical idea or stereotypes that we have of the cities are evolving and specifically Paris, of course that evolution didn't arrive to Vogue France offices...

This looks like Vogue Paris circa 2000. That bland era before Carine took over. It’s very uninspiring.

I bought every issue under JJB, and see very little of that era reflected in any of the issues churned out under the present regime, not in typography, imagery, colour schemes, level of content, mood.

This is just the Mary Celeste in magazine form, with people thinking they can see ghosts from the days when an editor was at the helm, giving the edition direction, from the first page to the last.

The contents of the issue are as disappointing as one could expect at this point.
Rory van Millingen's front section filler edit reprinted
15 pages of jewelry edit, still life as well as portraits of Felice Nova and a male model, photographed by Philippe Jarrigeon. I didn't like it.
10 pages of ''Miss Denim'', can't recall seeing this anywhere else but it's rather ugly. Photographed by Tom Johnson.
A conversation between Edward Enninful and Alain Mabanckou (spread opens with a portrait of Enninful and his dog, not Alain lol)
Cover story is 13 pages + another image opening the editorial section. I didn't really like that either but it's the best I got from the issue.
Imaan and Sora's edit reprinted.
Sacha's country edit reprinted.
Lila's edit reprinted.
The Louis Vuitton edit reprinted.
Sadli and McKenna's edit reprinted.

And that's it. Pitiful.

So bold from CN to killed VP and VI with such a strong history behind. Both were above American and British Vogue.

LOUIS & THE JAKUZA LA FORCE SUBTILE
Photography:
Anthony Seklaoui
Styling: Vanessa Reid
Hair: Aurore Gibrien
Make-up: Aurore Gibrien
Model/Celebrity: Louis and the Jakuza

Vogue France Digital Edition

MISS DENIM
Photography:
Tom Johnson
Styling: Victoire Simonney
Hair: Caroline Fenouil
Make-up: Caroline Fenouil
Models: Yilan Hua, Amar Akway & Luca Biggs

Vogue France Digital Edition

The contents of the issue are as disappointing as one could expect at this point.
Rory van Millingen's front section filler edit reprinted
15 pages of jewelry edit, still life as well as portraits of Felice Nova and a male model, photographed by Philippe Jarrigeon. I didn't like it.
10 pages of ''Miss Denim'', can't recall seeing this anywhere else but it's rather ugly. Photographed by Tom Johnson.
A conversation between Edward Enninful and Alain Mabanckou (spread opens with a portrait of Enninful and his dog, not Alain lol)
Cover story is 13 pages + another image opening the editorial section. I didn't really like that either but it's the best I got from the issue.
Imaan and Sora's edit reprinted.
Sacha's country edit reprinted.
Lila's edit reprinted.
The Louis Vuitton edit reprinted.
Sadli and McKenna's edit reprinted.

And that's it. Pitiful.

They don’t care. We shouldn’t either.

The coverstory is abysmally lazy. They couldn’t even bother to put some semblance of an effort in shooting her in the best light. It’s insulting to the reader really. And what styling??? She’s just an advertorial for Vuitton in their complete looks. Just soulless.

And it’s not just the lazy coverstories time and time again, and the nauseating stream of fashion story reprints, it’s the reprinted feature stories. I’m already sick of Thebe Magugu since she’s been forced into every signer damn Vogue— and it’s no fault of hers. So much for individuality, and so much for “diversity and inclusivity” when it’s more agenda-driven representation of the few and privileged chosen (likely by Edward), rammed down the readers’ proverbial throat.

Italia and "France" are simply supplements-- and 2nd-hand at that, to Edward's Vogue UK. And it shows. Eugenie and Francesca are just Edward’s assistants.

They don’t care. We shouldn’t either.

The coverstory is abysmally lazy. They couldn’t even bother to put some semblance of an effort in shooting her in the best light. It’s insulting to the reader really. And what styling??? She’s just an advertorial for Vuitton in their complete looks. Just soulless.

And it’s not just the lazy coverstories time and time again, and the nauseating stream of fashion story reprints, it’s the reprinted feature stories. I’m already sick of Thebe Magugu since she’s been forced into every signer damn Vogue— and it’s no fault of hers. So much for individuality, and so much for “diversity and inclusivity” when it’s more agenda-driven representation of the few and privileged chosen (likely by Edward), rammed down the readers’ proverbial throat.

Italia and "France" are simply supplements-- and 2nd-hand at that, to Edward's Vogue UK. And it shows. Eugenie and Francesca are just Edward’s assistants.

I couldn't agree more with you my dear @Phuel :heart:, however no matter bad this all looks, the fact they made at least some effort to deliver these two original contents should be count for something. Vogue Germany October issue, for example, has no original contents whatsoever - so, what should we make out of that? :ermm:

^^^ Your eternal optimistic is so enviable! I’ve accepted that Vogue is gone. This is just vogues.

However, even in its prime, Germany was never even close in the same league as Italia and Paris… So even with 2 measly OG scraps, “France” is now in the same dumpster league as Germany/Spain/Mexico. Let that sink in… And Lous really does deserve so much better than this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->