Vogue Hong Kong March 2019 : Gigi Hadid & Fei Fei Sun by Nick Knight

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by MDNA, Feb 28, 2019.

1. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

2. caioherrero

caioherrero Active Member

3. sixtdaily

sixtdaily Well-Known Member

Her facial expression just ruins the whole thing

apple likes this.
  4. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I'm a sucker for futuristic themed fashion images, so I applaud them and Knight for going with this. However the casting and styling is all wrong. I think that bejewelled bathing suit is positively ugly, and what's with the tawdry looking cleavage? Gigi more than ever looks like a sex doll here, and not in a witty Barbarella way.

Hope the fonts will be in foil of some sorts, but overall it's an interesting start for them. Yet another VI hybrid, it seems.

'We have landed' sounds a bit cocky of them, I think I like it...lol. What will Vogue Greece say though? 'We're back, b!tches! How y'all doin?'

5. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

I AM SCREAAAAAAAAAAAAAMING!!!!!

Your Anchor, Bertrando3 and AFWQ like this.
  6. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

WWD

I'm disgusted by what Au said in the article.

OllieJE likes this.
  7. chanelh

chanelh Active Member

i assume she is making a gesture that mainland market is not my concern, Angelica take note, i'm not going after ur cake

AFWQ likes this.
  8. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

It's when you factor the relationship between the Republic of Hong
    Kong and the rest of the Chinese diaspora, then it reads sonewhat shady.

OllieJE likes this.
  9. Perickles

Perickles Well-Known Member

Her face ruins the cover. She looks like Miss Piggy.

10. kasper!

kasper! Well-Known Member

What a letdown..her face is as lifeless as usual

mikel and Bertrando3 like this.
  11. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

It's more like the publisher trying to detach themselves from Asian to me, while Gigi was accused of mocking Asians.

Morgane07, Benn98 and OllieJE like this.
  12. jeffandtheworld

jeffandtheworld Well-Known Member

Solo covers aren't necessary. Brave choice using Gigi... but I guess she's the new Gemma Ward for newly launched Vogues.

13. zacatecas570

zacatecas570 Well-Known Member

14. rwwwwww

rwwwwww Member

Shouldn't have expected too much from them...

Bertrando3 likes this.
  15. AFWQ

AFWQ Active Member

This is what I exactly fear from this launch. They would turn this into a political point/stand. I think they already have enough on their plate about both countries. Couldn't they just enjoy and do something fun and spectacular as their launch cover? Maybe put Gigi aside to get less hate online.

I would love a seen a cover with Asian Models, and references to the culture of Hong Kong as the cover: The nightlife... The Hong Kong Port. Streets. Oldest stores.

I mean Hong Kong is more than just Asian Models from Eastwood, but if they want to show that why not another choice who didn't get ban from China and isn't well seen because mocked people appearance. It's the worst move for the first issue... (They seem to want to sell in China as well)

Hong Kong has a population of 7 million. I was just speaking with someone who lives there that told they don't buy magazines in paper... for the magazine to have around 35,000 - 40,000 print copies they aren't expecting to sell as much.

It will have a tribute to Karl Lagerfeld, by Peter Wong, Editorial Director. It seems it will be cover editorial.

The issue will have international models and also scarlets - Isabella Leong, Karena Lam, Angela Yuen, Cecilia Cheung, and Angelababy.

I am excited to see all of it. Let's hope they get cover and choice right by the second time.

#15 AFWQ, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Morgane07, Benn98 and OllieJE like this.
  16. AFWQ

AFWQ Active Member

I love this video!

17. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

I like Gigi, but in a case like this, when she is used for the hype, it feels irritating. Anyway, I'm not liking the covers, but interested to see what will this edition develop into.

sixtdaily likes this.
  18. Hafyiez wafa

Hafyiez wafa Active Member

I hope vogue hong kong will not become like Vogue Taiwan they always use their own celebrity and models !:judge:

19. chanelh

chanelh Active Member

mostly it's cause they can't, instead of they don't want to use international celeb and models.
    Taiwan is a pretty small and irrelevant market in fashion world, so means nobody cares it besides themselves. Big names won't shoot for u just because u r titled "Vogue", unless it's the big 4.

For Hong Kong, same case, HK Bazaar Elle mainly feature local celeb, sometimes the cover star is nothing but a rich's wife or daughter with zero portfolio, that's how sad it is.

So, in foreseeable future, the magazine eventually will have to focus on local celeb and put them on cover when run out of options. if it can last that long, of course.

Benn98 likes this.
  20. Mathewthew

Mathewthew Member

I'm confused with the cover, because it doesn't represent Hong Kong at all and putting a caucaisan model and an asian model on the cover is not east meet west, it's so cliche. Since they are finding Nick Knight and Anya Ziourova for the cover, I assumed they are not working in Hong Kong. The videos they put on instagram are much nicer ( with more Hong Kong crew ) than this and I don't know why they didn't find someone know about more asian/Hong Kong background to work on it. We don't need another US/UK Vogue.

Benn98 likes this.