Vogue Italia April 2020 : A Blank Canvas by Ferdinando Verderi

Sigh, here we go again. I now regret saying no to the horse or dog in fashion, to be honest!
This is not even a mirror or anything, just a blank slate and all the grand superlatives will mean nothing to the impulse buyer. I simply cannot deal with the pretentiousness of this guy and it's incredible that the's holding down his job despite it all.

any disapproval of it is needless and disrespectful

Sorry, but no. Farneti doesn't get a pass. Vogue Portugal literally produced covers about COVID19 and members here, including yourself (calling it "Extremely tasteless."), criticised it to filth. What makes this different than Vogue Portugal? Why should this be immune to criticism, when both VI and Vogue Portugal produced covers tackling COVID19?

So magazines who produce any cover that symbolizes what we're facing today are inappropriate and a cover with no image is appropriate? Why not cease publication all the same?

I believe that this time, a cover like this is appropriate and any disapproval of it is needless and disrespectful. Wishing all the best to the Italian people.

That's not fair though. If they're donating all the proceeds to a fund to battle the virus, different story. But if they're not, and it's just business as usual, selling luxury fashion and beauty for their own profit, then that I would find 'needless and disrespectful.'

I loathe this idea of using sentiments to enrich yourself. No worse than dressing an impoverished orphan in Fendi. Oh wait.....

I believe that this time, a cover like this is appropriate and any disapproval of it is needless and disrespectful. Wishing all the best to the Italian people.

Publishing no print magazine at all would be respectful to the country, lessening the burden on the supply chain of all the underlings who work at the printers, or drive the distribution lorries, and so on.

But as long as a Vogue editor gets respect for putting f*ck ALL in the front cover and passing that off as a thoughtful tribute... damn sure there's disrespect going on, and we're looking at all four corners of it.

This is what this guy comes up with when he's working from home.

This cover isn't even worth an 'lol'.
Farnetti needs to go far away, and he can take the virus with him.

@MON, I believe there's a difference between an empty cover in a country that was hit by the virus the most and a clearly gimmicky one in a less affected country.
Vogue Italia is one of my least favourite magazines since E. Farneti arrived, but my thoughts simply were centered at this being a demonstration of respect to all the people affected. Who knows, maybe @Benn98 is right and Farneti is sociopathically counting the likes on Instagram, but I still think that a cover like this will feel more appropriate among the Italians than one with Bella Hadid or a horse as a cover boy.

@MON, I believe there's a difference between an empty cover in a country that was hit by the virus the most and a clearly gimmicky one in a less affected country.

And this is not a gimmick? You can't just isolate this issue from Farneti's history. That man has been all about gimmicks since the day he sat at the helm.

If this issue is not a gimmick, then Farneti could have just released a normal issue like US/UK/French Vogue and made the issue accessible for free, but no. Farneti chose to run an all white cover despite having tons of produced content.

So based on this comment, to be considered appropriate, members must consider number of affected cases? Damn, Vogue Taiwan needs to be mindful of its COVID19 take.

.... but I still think that a cover like this will feel more appropriate among the Italians than one with Bella Hadid or a horse as a cover boy.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with thinking like that. I mainly took issue with your line of thinking that any comment which doesn't endorse the cover is needless and disrespectful by default.

Oh f*ck this. As much as it's ''respectful'' to those affected by the virus, it's disrespectful to fashion. I am actually disgusted by the audacity of this man and by the praise this is probably going to receive all over social media.

How is a blank cover going to help anyone ? Please enlighten me, I seriously don't understand this logic. I wasn't even surprised when I saw a ''blank canvas'' in the title because of course he's that pretentious. Jesus!! I'm so f*cking mad!

And that cut out logo is disgusting.

Last edited:
So magazines who produce any cover that symbolizes what we're facing today are inappropriate and a cover with no image is appropriate? Why not cease publication all the same?

100% couldn't agree more. What's the point of this magazine anymore, it has lost all of the respect it had as fashion force in this industry.

I understand and respect the direction. Truth is, any "business as usual" cover would've felt extremely distasteful to the current situation in Italy. The magazine had to present something that was in touch with reality, something at the very least respectful. Right now, fashion and luxury and many other things in the world are irrelevant and unnecessary. Hopefully soon enough we'll be able to look at them differently, we'll ve able live a little frivolously. But not right now.

For any editor, these are really crazy times and one has to be thoughtful about what to do next. He was in a particularly tough spot, so I don't fault him at all for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waffleninja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->