Vogue Italia April 2022 : Vittoria Ceretti by Rafael Pavarotti

Ok wow this looks really good and not watered down Rafael photography.

Honestly, I don't even remember we actually still have Vogue Italia. Most of their recent covers were underwhelming and forgettable, to say the least. This one's pretty interesting though.

Wow, to quote Sir Paul McCartney, I'm amazed! Stunning cover, the second in a row. Well, that happens when your hire a real and amazing model. Beyond beautiful, the best since Gaga by Meisel. (And that hottie Juan :wub:).

Love love love
But i cant get over the fact that the content will be horrible

Last edited:
Its not a perfect cover, but a breath of fresh air with Vogue Italia (in years)!

Thanks @MagFan for the previews.

Edward is pushing hard for Raphael as Italia’s resident photographer in Meisel’s place. It’s both hilarious and pathetic, since Raphael’s creative proficiency and technical skills is that of a 2nd— maybe 3rd-year design student. The blending mode layers he consistently employs is so cheapening and obnoxious. Just because it's Vittoria in some nice gowns doesn’t hide the reality that, along with Ibraham (whose styling tricks are just wholesale rip-offs of Galliano’s Dior LOL), it’s just more of the same old same old bad digital-compositing they always employ at i-D.

Juvenile.

I love but it seems more like subtle advertisement for her husband's music.

Not these 2 again. Constantly relying on the same gimmicks. Rafael's photographs always look so cheap. Greats didn't even dream of technology photographers like Pavarotti have nowadays, yet they managed to create outstanding and memorable work.

^^^ Technology isn’t the problem. CC, and in particular PS is such a frighteningly wonderful, powerful instrument— when employed with skill, careful and thoughtful strategy, expertise and restrain.

In the talented hands of the likes of Nick, Sølve, Mert & Marcus, Liugo & Iango at their very best, it’s a stunning marvel of the human’s minds’ limitless imagination matched by the precise, technical skills and expertise to push the boundaries of PS to such stunning, creative highs. It’s no different than how some film post-production like Weta and Laika have consistently employed CGI to groundbreaking, visionary levels to rise the standards of digital artform, while bad CGI is easily accessible. That’s the difference between the Greats and Rafael’s very basic level of PS-skills; God, that multi-colour gradient he uses over and over with those Dior campaigns is tragically hilarious at this point. I think he has some decent concepts, but they’re so generic— and downright juvenile, and his influences are so obvious, it’s not even acceptable as tributes: They’re blatant rip-offs— just like Ibraham’s “styling”.

But this era isn’t at all about talent nor skills.

This must be the best VI cover in like 10 years. Absolutely perfect.

one more preview
https://compass-media.vogue.it/phot...c_limit/RPA_220301_VOGUE_ITALIA_02_034_V1.jpg
Metallic paint is not working on such faces with soft cheeks, lots of ugly shadows there because of it. Her whole face doesn't look good in paint actually. No wonder this was styled by that guy who arrived to invent the wheel again. At least it is not Gigi on her place, phew

Admittedly a decent shot.

But it’s not metallic paint. She’s just oiled up, and in post, they just applied the B&W blend mode layer in PS. That’s why it looks off— looks flat, since the process desaturates all undertones out of the image. I’d like to give them the benefit of the doubt that it’s a liberate, stylized Dada-esque aesthetic, rather than just laziness and inexperience. But that they’ve been using this lazy man’s cheap trick for i-D with the multi-colour faces seems to say otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->