Vogue Italia August 2018 : Madonna by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

The first cover is tragic. Steven Klein would like to have a word. Its very pretentious and has all the elements of the Madonna era that I dislike.

Also, why in the world would you have Madonna on the bottom part of your cover. Stack that together with other magazines, it’ll look like a Vogue Gardens issue

The second cover is stunning! Glamorous and very appropriate. Classic Vogue Italia if you ask me

However, the art direction leaves much to be desired. This magazine continues to baffle me. How can a magazine with an insane budget as this one, fail to afford a proper art director. You don’t need a genius/expert to tell you that their art direction is tragic. The taste is very telling.

Colour me surprised (not)! :rolleyes:
At a stretch I would have preferred the first cover. It had so much potential. The lush greenery, maybe a better pose, angle, more dignified styling and definitely a different art direction. Cannot deal with the second one, which must a parody!

Would still like to know which editor in their right mind would actually approve these covers!

M&M copy Klein and Meisel, anyway the b&w cover looks really promising.

I'm trying to visualize the situation where this eyesore lands on the editors' desk. What do they do if they hate it? Do they dismiss it or they just don't simply because it's Madonna? :lol:

This is terrible, both covers.

Does she sell in Italy? Did her last feature do that well? Aside from her long time fans, who are they targeting here? Who is Vogue Italia's reader? I have so many questions. I find this cover alienating and irrelevant. I do like her music, although I have no idea what she's done over the past decade. She tries so hard to remain relevant, but she always looks absolutley ridiculous, it's almost verging on pathetic. Buttcheeks and boobs hanging out, bling bling grills, and tiny little outfits. Simply no. It's not chic and it's not cute. How could anyone treat that with respect or admiration? I'm all for taking risks but at her age she really needs to tone it down.

So women of a certain age have to dress in a certain way and tone it down to be admired and respected?

That’s absurd. Madonna (or any woman of any age) can do and dress how she wants.

Both covers are ugly as hell though.

WF6bYVOo_o.jpeg

wwd.com

I sort of love the green grass one, although she's oddly positioned.
The b&w cover is just meh. The lyrics on both covers are making my eyes roll.
Dying to see what this editorial looks like.

I just don't think they really put much effort into it. I feel like I've seen Madonna like this a million times before, but it could definitely just be down to Madonna herself wanting to look this way.

Not interested, same boring shoot from Madonna, this time for a magazine that should know better.
It's been a while since M&M did that saturated radioactive-green grass, thought they had grown out of it.

Thay type is hideous, looks like something you'd find scrawled over the wall of a mental asylum. Is this suppoused to be holiday issue or something?

The soundbites in the article below! :rofl:

And of course she did her own styling......

Last edited:
EXCLUSIVE: Madonna on Family Life in Portugal for Vogue Italia
by Luisa Zargani

MILANMadonna, soccer mom?

This is the latest transformation of the artist, whose life in Lisbon takes center stage in the August issue of Vogue Italia, with an interview focused on her children, her passion for music and horses, as well as the projects for her charity Raising Malawi, flanked by a fashion shoot photographed by Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott.

The magazine initially planned to mark Madonna’s 60th birthday in August with a celebration of her career and accomplishments, but it turned out she had a very different plan. “She doesn’t want to talk about the past,” VogueItalia creative director Giovanni Bianco told WWD in an exclusive interview with editor in chief Emanuele Farneti.

“It’s the tale of a new life, her move to Portugal to help her son David play soccer—it’s incredible to think of Madonna as a soccer mom,” said Farneti with a smile, shaking his head slightly. “She proposed the Lisbon angle and it turned out to be a very personal interview, more interesting than doing a retrospective of the artist or a story on her African projects, which have already been explored,” he explained.

Bianco is an important link with Madonna, as he has worked for 12 years with her on four CD covers, several tours and countless editorials.

“She is in an incredibly hard worker, I have learned so much from her intensity and dedication, but I think there is a distinction between her popular image and the day-by-day, normal person,” observed Bianco. “In this shoot, you see more of her maternal side, she is fascinating with her children and friends – she is an example.”

Madonna is living in Portugal with four of her six children: David Banda, 12; Mercy James, 12, and the twins Stella and Estere, 5. “She is very happy and romantic at the moment, and you can see it in the photos, where she poses with all that she loves the most,” said Bianco.

The shoot is called “Just one Day out of Life,” and Madonna on the two available covers and posters wears all-black Saint Laurent looks, posing at the Herdade do Peru estate, which dates back to the 18th century, and is located in the national Park of Arrábida, about 19 miles from Lisbon.

“She is a friend but I am also a fan, and my thoughts went straight to the collectible poster,” said Bianco gleefully. On both covers, Madonna strikes graphic and bold poses, either lying on one side on the grass, or looking up at the cloudy skies.

Madonna is also photographed out on the streets in Lisbon and at her favorite Tejo bar, where she regularly goes to listen to Portuguese and African music. “She knows the musicians there, it’s like a laboratory, there’s music from Cabo Verde and she loves fado [a Lisbon-based music genre],” said Bianco. Madonna is working on her next album and it’s safe to say that this music will infuse her work, added Farneti.

Designer brands included in the shoot range from Dsquared2, Dior, Prada and Dolce & Gabbana to Fendi, Rochas, Alberta Ferretti, Miu Miu, Blumarine and Peter Dundas, among others.

This being Madonna, “she basically did her own styling,” Bianco admitted.

The interview by Xerxes Cook is accompanied by stories and anecdotes on Madonna by the likes of Alessandro Michele, Donatella Versace, Riccardo Tisci, Kate Moss, Stella McCartney, her go-to stylist Arianne Phillips, Jean Paul Gaultier and Cristiano Ronaldo, to name a few.

The issue hits newsstands on August 3.
WWD

If you want Madonna in your magazine, you do what Madonna wants.

It's probably the one time we really can blame the "model" for anything that's wrong with the editorial, because she's taken charge of so many aspects of the shoot.

Madonna probably asserted complete creative control, but considering the recent state of Vogue Italia, thats probably for the better and not the worse.

The black and white cover is good.

The idea of the editorial is not bad, but it all feels so cold and artificial.

I know it’s out of the question, but I wonder what this would’ve looked like if Testino shot this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Florencie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->