Vogue Italia December 2009 : Christy, Gisele, Kasia, Lara & Natalia by Steven Meisel

I do love the satirical Twitter reference, but honestly, this cover looks more like the cover to a low-budget p*rn film rather than the cover of one of the most influential fashion magazines in the world. Christy looks like a Heidi Fleiss figure, and the rest of the models her call girls :lol:!

For me, the mock Twitter text ruins everything. It is just so tacky! I do, however, love the aqua blue coloring of the magazine title. This cover would have been SO much more powerful if there were no excess text at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a new thought as to why I'm not really feeling this cover. Although I get the Twitter-theme and the resulting, deliberate semi-amateurishness of the photos, I don't really see how it's specifically a Twitter theme.

I mean, although amateur photography (of oneself) inevitably comes with Twitter, it's not really what it's known for, is it? After all, Twitter is first and foremost a blogging tool, not a platform for photo sharing. If you want to have an amateur photography-theme, fine, but let's just call it that then and not throw in a trend just for the sake of it. Or how about Facebook? Surely FB has more to do with photos than Twitter?

Ah, well.

That is the worst cover ever. Seriously WTH???

i think meisel forgot one model who should be on the cover...chanel iman :ninja:

I love it. Great cast of girls together. Only Meisel/Vi would dare to bring all these girls together for one cover.

Great way to end a decade.

i think it's the dumbest way to end a decade
the execution of this concept is just soo bad

^Agreed. A parody is not supposed to directly copy a certain concept, but reference it. The inclusion of the Twitter text was a MAJOR misstep! It makes the cover as tacky as the idea which it mocks!

I think the only picture that doesn't really seem to fit is Christy's. The rest is perfect twitter/facebook material. A webcam still (Gisele) a mirror shot (Kasia - who looks a lot like Lindsey Ellingson to me here) a weird angle (Lara) and a picture all those 16 year old girls who are in love with themselfs and their mascara put up as a profile pic (Natalia). Perfectly voyeuristic as far as I am concerned, cause twitter, facebook you name is basically about voyeurism. Getting a sneak peek at someone else's life and these pics represent that perfectly.

The only two that work for me are Kasia and Giseles. I don't think the others really have that private self-shot look, they could easily be part of any other editorial even with those angles and whatever else.

I'm sure it's the first VI cover of Kasia.

You're absolutely right! Sorry, I don't know what I was talking about, I was a little overtired at the time. For some reason I got it into my head that Kasia was on the March cover with Kinga instead of Hanne, and also alongside Magdalena on her cover, instead of Maryna. Dunno where that came from:lol:

^I'm excited too! With such a diverse cover cast, and if it's going to be a big one, I guess we can expect a major model moment - old and new favourites united, and hopefully a few surprises thrown into the mix. Can't wait.

I thought the decade started in 2001 and would end in 2010... :unsure:

I think technically that's right. You don't start counting Year Zero, Year One, etc. You start with Year One, so you'd end with Year Ten. But I think people usually do it the other way because for example say last decade, it would look weird to put year 2000 together with the 90s decade, etc.

i dont fully believe thats the cover. it looks like a yearbook friendship collage. not chic.

..maybe someone was out sick that day? lets give them the benefit of the doubt.

All of the girls shot themselves for the twitter story.

I think I like the cover even more after reading that.
I'm curious to see the main editorial with such a good line up of models.

Is it a cover really? It looks so cheap. Though I love Lara & Gisele.

I know it was intended to resemble the twitter stuff (didn't we have this before? January 2007?) but I could do very well without it. Also the model choice is so weird and do I need to see Lara everywhere? I'm intrigued I admit it but I don't think it will compete with other Vogue Italia issues I bought at least cover-wise.

I'm glad for Kasia though. ^_^

And finally something more "controversy" again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nationalsalt
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->