Vogue Italia February 2019 : Kendall Jenner by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by vogue28, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Bertrando3

Bertrando3 Well-Known Member

Simple: like every ``influencer´´ on this planet = BY BUYING FAKE ACCOUNTS and fake ``likes´´ and fake ``comments´´. Gosh this is the worst era to be a fashion model damn...

Perickles likes this.
  2. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I don't hate that it's her. I hate that the pose and whatever M&M asked of her is way out of her league. This kind of shot will rake up the requisite 2/3 million likes on her Instagram, but it doesn't work for a HF magazine cover. One can tell she's not familiar with that kind of campy OTT faded 40s starlet glamour, and that's fine. Rather do something within her scope. The Lana Del Rey/Texan pinup for Dsquared was great because she just had to sit there and let the styling speak.

So as a whole the entire thing just looks budget and is a complete miss for me!

Only for US Vogue. Her September cover especially sold well for them, better than previous ones. And I know that Glenda Bailey only cares about the bottom line when it comes to cover subjects. Both Kendall and Gigi have more than two covers each, so they must be selling.

liv4beauty, Aedlacir, ivano and 5 others like this.
  3. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

Impossible, Valentina looks like Linda Evangelista lol

4. ghostwriter10549

ghostwriter10549 Well-Known Member

That's the problem when you are a 'celebrity model'. If you build a career in how much you famous you are and you don't take care your image outside the model world it doesn't matter what you bring in print, people are not gonna buy, even though, like this image, is good material.
    The same thing happens with actresses, look at Lindsay Lohan and others.

#24 ghostwriter10549, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  5. TommysBaby

TommysBaby New Member

I agree with this. This is way out of her league. Sure OTT styling and a period theme works even with bad models but M&M asked her to *model*, and she probably tried to overcompensate because she knew this was out of her league. There result is this. This would not work on the newsstands. There are some magazine covers that are criticized on digital platforms, but once I see it in real life, I like it. This is the opposite of that.

6. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Thank you for making my day! Lol

jorgepalomo likes this.
  7. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

I expected so much worse! I have seen worse from her, the reason her pose is campy, is obviously because that is what they asked of her, the reason it doesn't fully succeed is because she can't sell it! But at least she looks the part, it's a good angle for her face.

Instead of just hating on her, how about we throw some shade towards Farneti, Mert&Marcus et co.

I mean Farneti is so out of his league with this magazine, it's just painful to pick up Vogue Italia lately! And I am one of those people who thought what Franca was doing the last 5 years was terrible, as well. But this is a new level of bad!

Does anyone still care about Vogue Italia? Really care, like they used to? All I hear is that it is setting record low setting numbers. And VI was never a huge seller in the first place, but it seems they are reaching new lows! Doubt Kendall playing dress up for this cover story will do anything for them, outside of Social Media that is!

Oh and art direction of this cover looks like a Dazed cover or something, that Vogue masthead looks random here! So when you fail to grasp the essence of the Vogue brand, maybe you need a different EIC!

Bertrando3, tigerrouge, MON and 2 others like this.
  8. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

There is one preview image of inside editorial at Giovanni Bianco instagram...she is naked there...

9. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

^^ Btw, Her naked preview is good. But reminds me a little bit to Kim by Steven Klein for Love...

10. AnaD

AnaD Active Member

I love the styling, and the exaggerated pose, but I feel as if it were someone like Vittoria or Mariacarla it would be great. I mean, it's Vogue Italia, shooting a spread about the golden age of Italian cinema, cast an Italian model.

ivano likes this.
  11. FashionMuseDior

I actually like this cover, and the preview videos from Kendall's instagram are promising.

Zposen likes this.
  12. dontbeadrag

dontbeadrag Active Member

I must agree with FashionMuseDior. I think this looks quite okay, and video + naked shot look really good. Hating Kendall Jenner just for being Kendall Jenner is so 2016.

13. anlabe32

anlabe32 Well-Known Member

Trash by trash. I hate it.

14. Zposen

Zposen Well-Known Member

I actually think this is Kendall best vogue cover to date. I mean the styling, hair and makeup are pretty exaggerated but she pulls it off and looks stunning facial wise. Her face to me sells the cover... the editorial preview looks promising as well... but M&M always have amazing editorials with Kendall

I think there are few girls modeling these days who would be able to pull off these kinds of OTT looks... def Vittoria mainly because her face is just stunning and symmetric... Rianne of course... but not many so I give Kendall credit for stepping out of her comfort zone and trying something more artistic...

15. helmutnotdead

helmutnotdead Well-Known Member

All I want to say is thank you Vogue Italia for showing us that Kendall is still alive. I thought she disappeared.

16. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

It's painful to watch the disjointed arrangement of images, the inability to see how certain editorials are nearly identidentical despite being shot by different photographers, and the outdated themes explored in VI month after month. It's like scouring all the global Vogues for filler edits, and grouping them together. Somehow he manages to get the worst from a group of photographers who are doing great work elsewhere. He lost the connection with Meisel and replaced that something inferior which falls flat month after month. Unlike other editors who must worry about hard-hitting exclusives and features beyond the cover every month, his only job IS the cover. A job which he fails at horribly. I get that it's an advantage and disadvantage, which is all the more reason why a more creative person should've helmed this position. I had hoped CN would see through whatever fast-talking he did to get this job by now, admit their mistake, and cut their losses. I'm not against the fact that Farneti has been out of touch with women's HF for so long, because sometimes people like that can deliver a fresh take on fashion that could be interesting. But by now that's clearly not the case because all he's doing is adding more service splurbs in front, some borders and italics here and there, more written copy (why??, this is a visual magazine!) and call it a day.
    It just seems like he took this job as a stepping stone to a bigger position. The problem is that there's a glass celing at GQ, but not at Vogue. The only way for him rise to the role of Editorial Director of CN Italy is via editing Vogue, because Vogue is the strongest brand of the lot and the key to the women's fashion market - which happens to be the chunk of the company's income. That's the reason why Anna and Edwina got their position. They would never allow him to consult Vogue/Glamour/VF while he was at GQ.

Miss Dalloway and ivano like this.
  17. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Active Member

I’m pretty sure that the majority of her followers in the past were paid bots, and then her publicist created this hype that she is one of the most followed people on IG which resulted in the massive emergence of new followers. In other words, people were no longer literally bought, but they bought into her hype.

Anyway, it’s another miss from VI. By the looks of the filmed preview, I thought we were going to get something decent, but Farneti, again, tried to play the edgy card by picking the most OTT shot and pretentious font. Not to mention the fact that the background is downright photoshopped. Can’t believe this came from the same guys who shot that indelibly gorgeous editorial in March’s British Vogue.

ivano likes this.
  18. Linnalu

Linnalu New Member

Awful cover, i was thinking VI are bad enough in the past two years, but this cover can't be worse anymore.:sick::sick::sick:

19. russianelf

russianelf Active Member

I must say it's better than January. Does the cover look ok? That's exactly how it looks, I'm afraid.

P.S. every time Kendall gets a campaign or cover most comments in that thread are pure cringe lol

RedSmokeRise, Blayne266 and Ivanovaju like this.
  20. RMDV

RMDV Active Member

Trash. Amateur modeling 101- she's overacting and looks horrible.

Does this not remind anyone of the KJ cover for Vogue Australia... lol