Vogue Italia February 2020 : Vittoria Ceretti by Oliver Hadlee Pearch & Maty Fall by Paolo Roversi

Ignoring the unnecessary plug (don't put it on he cover, please) and the irony of an on-location shoot right after the "Vogue values the environment" issue: I love the make up on Vittoria and how it lights up against the natural light. Very painting-like.

“We contributed, on the money saved on production...”

how much is that? Also, pay your god damn artists the same way you pay your photographers.

A disingenuous cause. Why not donate HALF of the January and February earnings to the cause? Goodness.

Also, where’s the fashion? Why is she dressed as if she’s out there to throw the ashes of her deceased spouse? Also, thanks for using the least flattering photo of Venice.

Stop relying on the gimmick, and start functioning as the magazine that you are.

Last edited:
Should be 'PROTECT THE ITALIAN ECONOMY', surely that's a far more pressing issue which would eventually affect VI as well? Does Farneti not realise that he digs a deep hole for himself with these causes?

Not a bad image, but you'd have to stare at it really long to fully appreciate it and as such it simply doesn't work as a cover. A cover image must be instantly striking. Though her makeup does look amazing.

Reactions: MON
Major eye roll... hopefully the editorial will be about fashion.

After many months of letdown, I think we all don't expect anything good from VI. At least Vittoria looks beautiful with that makeup.
But Italian Vogue delivered more than just a beautiful picture in the past. To protect a river, isn't there a better way than holding a stone with bankaccount number carved on it?

I'm divided about this. While it's impactful to see that a prestigious magazine in a prestigious country is begging for financial help, I believe that social causes (or better say trends) should somewhat be absent from fashion magazines, at least from Vogue and Bazaar.

Anyway, Vittoria looks gorgeous.

"Gimmick" is the perfect way to describe it. "Oh they can't hate me because I'm for a cause". Like, who ever complains about the food at a charity event. Meanwhile they are forgetting that it's a magazine and their first order of business is to serve glamour. The image itself is unappealing solely because of the stone. If they would've focussed on making a good cover - they had all the ingredients for one.

I see that they've understood the legacy of Franca Sozzani as that of being politically and socially conscious in the face of the popular trope of people in fashion being too vain to care or just comically uninformed and ignorant about issues. So I don't think that Vogue Italia of all magazines should avoid talking about an issue that affects Italy specifically. But the difference was that Sozzani understood her role as informing through art but these people have the other way round. The image is quite literally compromised cause of the cause and I think that's very unfortunate and shameless. And not the right way to go about it.

Remember when Franca used to reflect all those world issues through actual fashion and magnificent photography? She's the proof that it's possible to properly do everything that Farneti has been trying to do, but failed miserably.
I instantly liked Vittoria's look here. This cover stood a chance, but naturally they managed to completely destroy it! I hate how he just throws these causes in our faces, it's all so banal and ugly. Get creative for God's sake, do something different. Keep your causes, but don't be so upfront about them. Embarrassing

Vogue Italia is sinking faster than Venice and please someone close Farneti's instagram... he shouldn't write even there...

When Franca did subjects like this comes from honesty....this is empty....Vittoria looks very good...

Victoria looks beautiful, there's no doubt. The text on the brick looks photoshopped and atrocious. A coverline like Vogue CS did in their early numbers was a better option.

A way to ruin what could have been a great cover...
When Franca wanted to make people pay attention to pollution or domestic violence, she made stories about that. Yes, the clothes weren’t necessarly the main subjects but she used them as tools to tell the stories...

If you want people to pay attention to what is going on in Venice, do a story about it! If you can’t, maybe add a banner or something to say that this issue is to support Venice.

This is ridiculous! Social Media has really put people in the Matrix! It’s terrible!
Thank god MGC didn’t printed a T-shirt about Venice!

A new low for VI.

Anna Dello Russo, come save VI!

Ehh... like the idea and thought behind it, the image is nice but would like to see this concept on Vogue Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"