Vogue Italia February 2022 : Coco Rebecca by Alasdair McLellan

can't wait to see the mert and marcus editorial. i've seen previews on ig..

to everyone who doesn't know who Coco is and can't do a quick Google search, she's part of Netflix Italia's very successful Summertime series. It makes sense that an Italian would be on the cover more than Hailey Bieber, and a Black, biracial Italian no less? Can't recall the last time...

That being said, McLellan always shoots clean but I wish the styled look and beauty was a bit punchier here. I like the movement in her braids but it's impossible to shoot black leather in an intriguing way and her face falls flat. Whoever did her brows though I want their info

It’s embarrassing to see people respond to this casting with such provocative statements, instinctively assuming they’ve chosen some obscure, black influencer to feature on the cover in a bid to look progressive, when they’ve actually chosen to feature (probably) the first Italian actress of colour to lead a highly popular television series. It’s highly ironic that people will question the relevancy of the cover model and then express disappointment that it wasn’t Coca Rocha, who was a has-been in 2010.

Anyway, since this issue is celebrating youth, it would be brilliant if they featured Gaia Girace and Margherita Mazzuco of My Brilliant Friend fame, seeing as the show returns for it’s long-awaited third season this month; both actresses would be worthy of a cover.

^^^ What’s more embarrassing is how such a banal, sloppy random snapshot that she could have easily snapped herself, why need Alasdair— who’s capable of so much more, is now worthy of a Vogue cover. But never mind such creative low standards-- cuz the first Black Italian actress of a popular TV series is on the cover of Vogue...

^^^ What’s more embarrassing is how such a banal, sloppy random snapshot that she could have easily snapped herself, why need Alasdair— who’s capable of so much more, is now worthy of a Vogue cover. But never mind such creative low standards-- cuz the first Black Italian actress of a popular TV series is on the cover of Vogue...

Where in my post did I raise issue with other people’s opinion of, or even comment on, the photography, styling or editorial design? I was referencing the reactionary response to the casting alone. It’s not commentary on the aesthetics of the cover I have a problem with, but to comment that Vogue Italia and Vogue France are “nothing more than an expansion for his agenda of Black prominence” is totally regressive and rhetoric I associate with far right political pundits. It’s seems you’ve taken umbrage at the casting as much as you have the creative choices.

^^^ Stating the blatant truth of Edward’s casting and features that are regularly if not predominantly Black for regions that are predominantly White is now deemed far right political pundit LOOL (Whatever happened to representing your readership…???)

But you’re right of course, nowhere did you mention the subpar level of creative effort and presentation, only how relevant it is that (the first time) a Black Italian TV actress is on the cover of Vogue. This is a fashion forum, and its members do expect some creative effort, even for the current Vogue Italia.

Well it has been almost 20 years since this forum was born so I do understand some members' opinions (especially the ones that lived through the glorious 00s VI days, myself included) about the current state of this magazine.

^^^ Stating the blatant truth of Edward’s casting and features that are regularly if not predominantly Black for regions that are predominantly White is now deemed far right political pundit LOOL (Whatever happened to representing your readership…???)

But you’re right of course, nowhere did you mention the subpar level of creative effort and presentation, only how relevant it is that (the first time) a Black Italian TV actress is on the cover of Vogue. This is a fashion forum, and its members do expect some creative effort, even for the current Vogue Italia.

Coco Rebecca Edoghame was born in Italy, has an Italian mother and stars in a hit Italian tv show; the last black cover mode was Maty Fall, who is of Senegalese descent but raised in Italy; the last black model before her was Mona Tougaard, one of the most in demand models of the moment; before her, the last black woman to be on a solo cover was Rihanna. Do you really believe these woman are irrelevant or uninteresting to Vogue Italia’s audience? Since October last year, every cover model has been of Italian descent or an Italian national, and a few months earlier they featured Monica Bellucci and her daughter; I don’t think you can argue that the Italian readership isn’t represented.

A lovely member here shared a quote with me the other day about representation on TV that’s also quite fitting for this thread:

“If you’re noticing all the people of colour suddenly represented in your magazines - You’re also noticing that there was a problem that you never noticed. Because it didn’t impact you.”

Exactly, i agree because if we just accept this ONLY because she is the first black italian actress featured on Vogue Italia cover without saying nothing about the creativity or lack of, display on this cover, it's a way to reduce the importance of her presence...

The same way we cannot accept the basic lazy work or Tyler Mitchell because just because he is black and it means representation....representation means nothing when it's used as a marketing tool....

And this is too forced.....

Diversity of people is currently fashionable, diversity of opinion is not.

Once upon a time, the magazines were the racists, but now that they are born-again and their sins cleansed away each month with their token efforts, the finger gets pointed at the audience, because you're the problem, and you have to applaud this content and purchase this item to demonstrate that you are not.

Magazines have always been crafty in the ways they put their audience on the back foot.

she's giving me zoe kravitz vibes - i wish the styling was less heavy tho.

I come here to mourn Franca. We chronicle the undoing of her legacy.

Coco Rocha isn't the only famous Coco in Earth. There was Coco Chanel, Glen Coco and Coco Capitain.

Preview in American Vogue

From VI's IG:

4th picture would have been a better cover

Last edited:
I like her face, I really like her as an actress as well and think she truly deserves a Vogue cover but I'm sorry, the lack of creativity is obvious and unfair to both Coco and Vogue buyers.

And as for diversity, most magazines blatantly ignored it (and not only when it comes to skin color) until quite recently. I see these late changes as a good, very good thing but I can't be satisfied with today's mediocre (or even low) quality. It's just my point but their lazy approach isn't a way to celebrate diversity.

They have been posting a lot about a celebrity portfolio which had some interesting talent featured I wonder if it will make it in the magazine?
For this particular cover and editorial there's something missing it just seems too simple to be a Vogue cover even if they wanted that 90s minimalist vibe. Many of us are not fami;iar with the actress bit if she's famous in Italy she deserves to be on the cover and most importantly deserves a better cover and story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"