Cast: Kris Grikaite, Anok Yai

Vogue Italia Digital Edition

The Gaze

Photographer: Barbara Probst
Stylist: Patti Wilson
Hair: Jawara
Makeup: Maud Laceppe
Manicure: Gina Viviano
Cast: Emma Boyd, Zoe Thaets, Jana Julius, Sara Eirud, Naomi Chin Wing, Cong He, Melchor Mercado

Goodbye, Innocence

Photographer: Willy Vanderperre
Stylist: Katy England
Hair: Anthony Turner
Makeup: Lynsey Alexander
Manicure: Jenny Longworth
Cast: Charlotte Rose

rebecca's ed falls flat for me :( ... as do most of these eds

Last edited:
Pretty bad issue...just more boring than ever and beyond pretentious like i-D, Dazed & Confused, US Vogue 2018- etc...all my least favourite photographers in the world!

The photography in the cover edit by Craig is of course beautiful, but wow, such flat styling from the future Fashion Director of UK Vogue and Rebecca looks gormless as hell. Sorry, but most photographers depend on the power of their partnered stylist to really lead the editorial and create something quality. Problem is CM has been incredibly lucky for the past two decades at least that most of his work has been with the best of the best in that field...not now :innocent:.

This is why we (still) need Meisel at VI. He's the only photographer with enough creative power and vision to push through a story with impact, no matter who's picking the clothes/girls/concept. Even if he's usually doing a standard studio shoot, like last March, I'll take those any day the way things are now!

i think after more than two years we need to realize the VI never going to be like before...it's DNA changed, beyond our personal preferences...Magazines are finding their own place again, and that includes this title...It would be east to continue the previous VI, but i think we need to criticize the new VI in order of what it is...not what it was, and maybe VI will find its own voice.

Not being snarky here. Someone please explain the appeal of Rebecca to me. Is it that she's blonde and tall and the industry needs girls with that fit that description? Her eyes totally distract me.

Rebecca’s test shots from two seasons ago are more striking than this feeble exercise in mediocrity. She deserved a lot better for her first big cover, shame on McDean.
Schorr needs a cease and desist order and hand in her camera pronto, go fix bikes or something, stop pretending.

The editorial with Kris would have been 1000x better than that original hideous cover. Seriously VI is joke!
I like the Versace ed, even better than the campaign.

LOL at "The Gaze" editorial. This is what happened when you hired a former Men's Magazine editor to helm one of the most sought-after high-fashion publications of all time. I can see his creative process saying "oh let's do a provocative, objectifying editorial but make it women!" :rolleyes:

i think after more than two years we need to realize the VI never going to be like before...it's DNA changed, beyond our personal preferences...Magazines are finding their own place again, and that includes this title...It would be east to continue the previous VI, but i think we need to criticize the new VI in order of what it is...not what it was, and maybe VI will find its own voice.

This is true, at the very least ideal, BUT Its hard not to judge this magazine on the basis of its past when the magazine itself is still stuck in the past.

With each passing issue, you still see that VI still tries to recreate what it once was, with a bit of a commercial take. All of the covers still looks the same as those of Franca’s VI after Meisel.

If my memory serves me right, someone here posted as how VI now is having problems of booking Meisel. Thus, if that were not the case, Meisel would be back on board and its same old same old again. This bolsters my argument that this magazine didn’t intend to take on a new direction. It was just forced to do so by the present circumstances.

The cover story is so dull! I mean all the other editorials are incredibly bland too, but at least the cover story should be a little bit more interesting. The styling is nothing special and the cover model is definitely wron, she can’t carry on the shoot. With another model (someone who can literally make everything good like Raquel)maybe the story could have been acceptable.
What a lifeless magazine and issue!

what happened to this magazine... It's so dull these days...

Reactions: MON
Yup, awful issue. Its so boring I couldn't bother clicking on each editorial shot.

So it seems January VI is the new cold and clinical issue of the year? Just like last year, we are left with a series of emotionless and 'to the point' edits which look like the time couldn't wait to go on their holiday break. Farneti couldn't see that all these edits are alike, and not in a seamless way?

I'm mostly underwhelmed by the cover editorial because I expected more from McDean. This one is a filler, at best. Not inherently against the idea of building a story around coats and suits, but unfortunately US Harper's Bazaar does that 4 times a year, so the idea lost it's novelty years ago. Add to that how dour and dark it looks overall, and in a sense very British Vogue under Alexandra. McDean has been doing great edits over the past few months, and he's probably busier than ever, so I guess it some point there will be that 1 dud. Will let this one slide.

As for Barbara Probst, the fault lies with VI, not her. I do like her aesthetic and if it wasn't for the Marni campaign, this one may have been innovative. But I know she can do better. Indeed, she had an amazing shoot recently for Garage where she split one sitting into countless images. As a CD, I would've demanded something original like that. Probst is not a traditional fashion photographer so it pains me to see editors force her into signature. Exactly the same is happening with Parr right now.
Regarding the CFNM edit, maybe Probst is strying to rehash the hottest p*rn trend of 2008? Because it's been done before and the takeaway in intellectual corcles was that the 't*t-for-tat' mentality of stooping as low as your oppressors wasn't very conducive to the feminist manifesto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misslola
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->