Vogue Italia July 2018 : Kaia Gerber by Craig McDean

Looks like desperate attenion seeking. Cover shoot is not related to cover at all (and I can't find Kaia as well). So it feels very two-faced. They put underage model on cover as newsmaker with her name on it (to accept CN rules) and barely used any pictures with her inside. So why Kaia then? Other underage models barely have enough luck to avoid this ban. And why haven't they choosen any picture from editorial? Any model featured there is aged enough.

Actually I have nothing against the cover shot, I guess the magazine's team thinks that Kaia can sell any magazine with picture of her, but it doesn't make the situation any better.

Last edited by a moderator:
There you go.

Kaia was merely a prop to get all these attention. We all fell for it.

PATHETIC.

Maybe Kaya is the one stuck with a telly on her head.

McDean at his best is truly a force to be reckoned with. Powerful images throughout and this type of edit just feels so at home in the pages of VI. The cover is truly disgraceful once you see how many better option they had.

I'm with you all, the editorial is what fantasies are made of and classic McDean. The cover clearly has nothing to do with it and was just click bait, unless there is an entire Kaia editorial somewhere inside the issue.

This editorial is spectacular and I'm obsessed with the production value! Kudos to the entire team because the makeup, hair and styling team pulled as much weight as McDean in this story.

Kaia Gerber by Craig McDean

vogue.it

I'd rather have Meghan Collison on the cover as well. At this point Kaia is just unnecessary for this covershoot. Actually it looks like she was even shot separately.

In this time
by Emanuele Farneti

A couple – her in a silk chemise, him nude. A poster to unroll. A painting by Caravaggio, a bar in the heart of Rome, three kisses. A woman writing with lipstick on the mirror: perseverance furthers. An elevator, a model, the pizza delivery guy. A restaurant in Paris – at the table in the kitchen. The season’s most sought-after top model. The world’s most famous top model. A hitherto unknown top model. A top model who grew up in a refugee camp. The queen of social media, but unrecognisable. Three women on the beach dressed in black. A smiling girl in July 2017, a smiling girl in July 2018.

Twelve issues (plus one), making an equal number of chapters in a story. In fact, exactly a year ago we embarked on the challenge of this new Vogue Italia. And although 12 months are nothing for drawing conclusions, they’re enough to make me feel obliged to say at least a couple of thank-yous. I’m grateful to the editorial staff and the company, who have believed in this challenge. And I’m grateful to our readers, who continue to grow in number on all our digital platforms, while also giving us incredible support on newsstands, where the magazine’s buoyancy has exceeded all expectations.

Standing still is one thing a magazine cannot do today, because the surrounding landscape changes too quickly. Fashion brands pursue a future that lies beyond their habitual boundaries, with collaborations that would have been unthinkable a few months ago. In just hours, web sentiment can radically twist commercial as well as political scenarios, with effects that are visible to all.

So of course a magazine like Vogue Italia can and must change, having founded 50 years of success on its ability to interpret and anticipate society’s transformations. We’ve been doing this in these recent months, and we’ll continue to do so because the journey has just begun.

Another thing a magazine cannot do today is suffer from deafness, shutting itself in its own world under the illusion of being self-sufficient. Accordingly, in these first 12 months our most worthwhile time has been spent listening to what our community of readers has to say about our work – the sound advice and fair criticisms. In this time we’ve organised encounters and opened our doors (also literally when possible).

Not everything can or must please everyone. Notably, not a single cover has failed to spark debate, sometimes anger, other times excitement. (It’s a safe bet that this month will be no exception, as nobody can be left indifferent to the 16-year-old Kaia Gerber – between those who believe she’s already the new star of fashion, and others who would rather see a girl her age focusing on studies and enjoying life.) It is the strength of this name: Vogue Italia. It is the legacy of attention that traditionally accompanies the magazine’s choices. Our readers’ time is a rare and extremely precious commodity, and we work every day to respect it. 
vogue.it

How sad it is to see the incredible work delivered by the models in the editorial ( especially Meghan Collison ). Yet the cover went to Kaia just because she is Kaia. She has only one shot in the ed which is fine if it was good but it's he weakest one by far. She looks too young & goofy on the cover to then be styled like some kind of 60s housewife in the editorial :rolleyes:
Trying to display some versatility which, as promising as she can be sometimes, she doesn't really have now.
Besides her cover would not even be worthy of a cereal tv commercial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Kaia even proven to sell?? Or do they just use her knowing that other media outlets will cover it because she's CINDY'S DAUGHTER OMGGG thus giving them some free press they wouldn't get otherwise?

If his first issue was past July, who run VI between march and june??? The 'main' ed it's amazing. McDean doing the mid season issue again, after january, it's a good choice. Would love to see Lindbergh or Roversi making the cover story, or Tim Walker, Solve or Burbridge.

If his first issue was past July, who run VI between march and june??? The 'main' ed it's amazing. McDean doing the mid season issue again, after january, it's a good choice. Would love to see Lindbergh or Roversi making the cover story, or Tim Walker, Solve or Burbridge.

Always thought may/17 was the first issue of this new era. I'm sure Bianco was already in the art direction by this issue.
I can't accept they used THIS cover when they had an amazing editorial like that. If only the headline was more suggestive to the content, but that's not the case. Too late to expect for extra covers, right?

So... he basically admits he's using Kaia for click bait? Jesus f***** Christ, this is a disgrace to the VI name.

Why use Kaia if she's not in the editorial, or even more so if the cover doesn't represent the mood and style of the editorial? I also think she looks way too young still, why even bother? VI must have been selling really bad lately.

There is another Kaia cover + coverstory by Collier Schorr.

Vogue Italia iPad Edition

The second cover, while less offensive, still doesn't work. Thanks for posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kancuk24
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->