Vogue Italia March 2019 : Amber Valletta by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by MDNA, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Perickles

Perickles Well-Known Member

I don't like any of these pictures. However, I don't understand why people want something extremely literal. Do you want to see pictures of Amber planting trees? Saving a dolphin from a fishnet? That's so boring!

Urban Stylin, YohjiAddict and kasper! like this.
  2. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

One only has to take a look at Meisel's August 2010 cover for Vogue Italia with Kristen McMenamy to know that themes like this can work on a cover of a HF magazine without being literal. In fact, not only can it work as a fashion image, it has stood the test of time as simply one of the best images ever.

3. Perickles

Well you have the answer. Meisel already did it. Why another photographer should do the same?

YohjiAddict likes this.
  4. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

Well, Farneti chose to do an environmental theme this month, so I think it's apt to make the comparison.

5. MON

MON Well-Known Member

How else should an issue dedicated to saving the environment be presented without being literal about it?

If it were some random editorial, I’d be more forgiving, but if they decided to dedicate an entire issue about saving the planet, they best believe walk the talk, otherwise its all just noise.

Also, there’s a huge difference between a magazine “not wanting to be too literal,” and a magazine that clearly has no taste and vision.

6. Perickles

There are infinite ways of expressing it. I didn't like the pictures but I don't want to see a Greenpeace campaign either.

YourMonster and kasper! like this.
  7. burbuja8910

burbuja8910 Well-Known Member

The Amber's covers don't excite me, look to bland & the main editorial is boring, except the pic with Amber & Candice together, is the only than i like. Look forward to see the other editorials.

How miss the days of Franca on this edition, on these days VI don't look the same, i mean the direction of the mag & the several photographers who work of many years.

8. lelaid

lelaid Well-Known Member

I don't expect literal, but I would like to have at least a vague idea of what the hell is going on. I wouldn't have any idea what the overall theme was without them literally printing on the page.

9. Perickles

This is a subjective subject. I can see clearly water inspiration on Amber Valetta's style, and this is the water's planet and we depend on it, so I can see the connection, but not everybody does. Of course, I don't like this issue, those photos are horrible.

10. whippie

whippie Well-Known Member

This was the cover I thought of when I saw this mess. Beautiful cover, provocative and thought provoking.

Anyway, y'all have missed the point of this cover. It's not about environmentalism, it's a tribute cover...

[​IMG]
    copycateffect.blog

Benn98 likes this.
  11. ErnstLudwig

ErnstLudwig Member

Wow big-time irony & surrealism here! Buy more pieces from another random collection this year, because we ran out of seasons to name them. In all seriousness, (fast) fashion represents a key killer of our planet/environment. Goes hand in hand with celebs/superrich private jet & yacht users calling for measurements to prevent climate change.

12. MagFan

MagFan Well-Known Member

13. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

A fashion magazine - a form of media devoted to encouraging needless material consumption - can never deliver a sound environmental message about preserving resources without contradicting itself when you turn the page.

Should they still try? Of course - but we will inevitably find endless fault with the delivery of the information because of the vehicle it comes in.

And I think the Meisel cover story was so powerful because it went in the opposite direction of most environmental themes - it wasn't the usual lecture on how to live better, it was a vision about how things can get worse.

14. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

Wow at the shot of Maggie and Shanelle. That Givenchy backpack looked hideous on the runway but it photographs so beautifully from the right angle.

15. Perickles

Franca passed away and that cover was made a decade ago. Let's move on.

russianelf and mepps like this.
  16. TZ001

TZ001 Well-Known Member

The only highlight of this issue is the Couture editorial. Willy’s editorial is the worst.

17. MagFan

MagFan Well-Known Member

18. Your Anchor

Your Anchor Active Member

looking at this while thinking about the 2010 Water & Oil issue saddens me... VI used to be best of the best on addressing issues and was ahead of time and now its just something we all laugh at

19. russianelf

russianelf Well-Known Member

It's gonna be 2030 and everyone will be like 'Meisel and Franca did it better!' (if this magazine and tfs survive this long lol). Can we like move on from constantly referencing the glory days of VI? They're gone, period. Won't be topped, probably, ever.

I'm not saying the editorial and cover are good, they're pretty bad even by recent standards. It's just so tiring to read the same tens of comments month after month. I'd rather read comparisons between what other editors are doing today.

Lola701, KateIsGr8 and kenndale like this.
  20. glamrockgal

glamrockgal Member

not a fan of makeup and hair but I love Amber Valetta.