Vogue Japan August 2016 : Irina Shayk by Giampaolo Sgura

Avogadro

Reaction score

amazon. co.jp

Last edited by a moderator:
At a stretch I can deal with everything from the neck down, but I don't know what was on the stylist's memo here. Ticket conductor meets gay sailor?

I'm still not sold on Irina. Reminds me too much of Adriana Lima. Just like the latter, it seems her people are desperately trying to market her as this versatile type of girl, which she's not.

I feel like most any other model would've made this cover work better.

I really like that Prada collection and Irina looks decent, but it's so boring otherwise.

Love everything about this! The colour palette is great for August!

I'm really having a hard time believing that this appeals to the Japanese market. Its like they only get photos with white backgrounds and place text all over it. Then it's done. But, VJ is still a favorite and I still have hope for it.

THIS could have actually worked if there had been a different pose. The pose and the expression doesn't add up. It's not inviting. The colors of the clothes kill the energy so a photo of Irina smiling would have balanced everything. Or if they used this image, a livelier color scheme would have been so much better. It is missing A LOT of energy.

Too much text on the left... Otherwise it's an okay cover, even if her pose is slightly boring.

In VJ standards, I really like it.
And I have no problem with Irina. She's womanly and beautiful.

This maybe my favorite Irina Vogue cover, it completely works.

At a stretch I can deal with everything from the neck down, but I don't know what was on the stylist's memo here. Ticket conductor meets gay sailor?

I'm still not sold on Irina. Reminds me too much of Adriana Lima. Just like the latter, it seems her people are desperately trying to market her as this versatile type of girl, which she's not.

INDEED 3000000% agree, she is NOT versatile and chamaleonic as a model. Why bother? Oh right nepotism and contacts in Fashion buying covers between agencies and magazine groupss and editors... :doh: I forgot the 21st century is not dictated by talent but by people pulling as many strings as they can.

Don´t get me wrong she IS super beautiful and sexy and she has her place as a model doing commercial jobs but is she a legit editorial star with a Vogue worthy cover model look + with the talent to move and convey emotions and sell the garments and is interesting enough to book cover after cover? No.

Terrible styling. Again. And Irina's pose is meaning nothing to me..

Sorry for the old stuff (This message is not spam, it's for regulate the current threads).
@Ivano

I'm really having a hard time believing that this appeals to the Japanese market. Its like they only get photos with white backgrounds and place text all over it. Then it's done.

When you think of it, they've certainly tried different backdrops, angles, cropping, which tells me that the magazine may want to change this recipe, but probably the readers prefer this?
Anyway, ultimately such a cover warrants a strong poser, because there's not much else to fall back on.

I'm a big fan of Irina. When she's in her wheelhouse (smoldering, sensual, sexy) she's pretty much the best at what she does.

Give her Givenchy or Versace campaigns, sure. Give her strong, dark, sexy campaigns, fine. But she has zero versatility. And people gotta stop trying to make it happen.

Why is she doing hf? Just stay in those Avon catalogues and make money! This cover proves it again!

And I'm really surprised how Anna Ewers is not on the Vogue Japan cover till now? I mean she's a model of the year! And VJ is used to be a big deal for model to book a cover. Anna Dello Russo should take a notice!

She looks so awkward, but it's some of the best styling I've seen on a VJ cover in a while. Had it been another model I'd totally be into it.

I'm a big fan of Irina. When she's in her wheelhouse (smoldering, sensual, sexy) she's pretty much the best at what she does.

Give her Givenchy or Versace campaigns, sure. Give her strong, dark, sexy campaigns, fine. But she has zero versatility. And people gotta stop trying to make it happen.

ALL OF THIS. I don't think I've seen a sexier editorial from any model than her V Man shoot by Sebastien Faena (http://models.com/work/v-man-coal-miners-daughter) but the thing is that this girl is pretty one note. I don't mind the cover, but it's the same face in all of her work. Even her brand of sexy is always the smoldering one, there's nothing playful about her which I think limits her. But as long as Riccardo and M&M love her she'll show up in other things so get used to it I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->