Vogue Japan February 2019 : Nicki Minaj by Mariano Vivanco

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by MDNA, Dec 19, 2018.

1. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

2. ghostwriter10549

ghostwriter10549 Active Member

All the infos are conflicting here, Jesus, is hard to look. Maybe a more clean layout, without all the text??
    I like the picture, the neon nails are too much obvious, but I dont think that is high fashion cover material, sorry Nicki you didn't nothing wrong here, I can see that you tried to make it work, I like the pose.
    Looking forward to see more of the inside, since the outside...

Perickles likes this.
  3. liv4beauty

liv4beauty Member

All I see is Lil’ Kim.

mepps, Perickles, khyrk and 1 other person like this.
  4. Hafyiez wafa

Hafyiez wafa Member

vogue japan text always look messy and same .. why they not copy like vogue korea, vogue china & taiwan layout

and the best layout for me is Vogue Korea

#4 Hafyiez wafa, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  5. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Well-Known Member

is this a lil' kim tribute?

6. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Their second celeb cover for the year? Hope it's not a new casting direction.

This looks very brazen and gaudy which in theory should be perfect for VJ, but normally reserve that sort of thing for their inside content and keep the covers simple. There's something off here though. I think the stylist tried too hard to edge up Burberry. But I like the flash or red. Don't care for the hair and nails.

7. samoanceleb

samoanceleb Member

Ru Paul's Drag race

Although I do like that this is Nicki's second Vogue cover

Benn98 likes this.
  8. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

9. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

I don't mind this Nicki Minaj as Lil' Kim bit at all. I'm sure it's done on purpose and it's kind of hilarious, although I find the cover too cluttered.

ghostwriter10549 likes this.
  10. apple

apple Well-Known Member

I'm worried we will see more and more celebrities on Vogue Japan, which is a shame because most of the times the only interesting thing about their covers was that they gave models lots of opportunities to be on a Vogue cover (I'm thinking about Luna, Vittoria, Imaan..)

11. aracic

aracic Well-Known Member

All that rah-rah never was the icon issue
    Harper's Bazaar, I'm covering the icon issue
    I got issues, yeah bi**h, I got issues
    W, Vogue, Cosmo - I got issues!

Feels random right now but after all these years of Nicki being the queen of rap music and getting snubbed by all the major titles, I'm happy that she's finally getting covers she deserved! If all those mediocre little actresses can get annual covers, a woman who worked hard as hell to build herself an empire sure deserves to be there too! Hopefully Anna won't dare to give Cardi a cover before she gives one to Nicki, cause that would be just awful

12. thenewclassic

thenewclassic Member

Is that surprising to you? Are you not familiar with Nicki's career...?

13. aracic

aracic Well-Known Member

^Ugh, why the constant need for competition between women? Can't one woman be successful without being constantly compared to another? Lil' Kim had her time and her fun and had a major role in shaping the hip-hop scene. Artists seem to draw inspiration from the ones that were successful before them so why does it come as such a surprise to you that Nicki gets inspired by someone as iconic as Lil' Kim or Lady Gaga being inspired by the first queen of pop? This argument is so tired and ugly, let's just appreciate Nicki and the fact that she's finally getting the recognition she deserves for her contribution to music.

MON and dodencebt like this.
  14. SLFC

SLFC Active Member

You know I kinda like it. but I feel that there is just too much going on here.

aracic likes this.
  15. RMDV

RMDV Active Member

Hate her hands in this and I think the retouching could've been way better- but Nicki is always retouched beyond

16. magsaddict

magsaddict Active Member

does Nicki have a big following in Japan? what's perhaps most curious about VJ is that it's a magazine that seldom seems to be put together with actual Japanese readers in mind. Aside from occasional issues like the Namie Amuro cover... Still a part of me loves this Nicki X Vogue Japan style remix.

17. thenewclassic

thenewclassic Member

Oh gee, I don't know?! ...maybe because Nicki Minaj herself has made it a competition and has been ALL about herself since she first came out? On the other hand, Lil' Kim is someone who actually deserves a LOT more respect and acknowledgment than she gets (including from Nicki). Without her, there'd be no Nicki or Cardi for that matter.
    And I'm not appreciating anything about Nicki Minaj when she's out here working with child molesters and dating a convicted rapist and murderer these days, if you do that's on YOU so miss me with the female empowerment talk when it comes to someone who literally doesn't care about anyone other than herself.

18. gunsnroses

gunsnroses Active Member

19. ghostwriter10549

ghostwriter10549 Active Member

What a horrible ed...

20. Royal-Galliano

Royal-Galliano Well-Known Member

the ed is a flap but i love the cover and i actually think it's one of their best in YEARS. and for some strange reason this nicki's look really fits japanese vogue. but maybe it's the crazy countouring and cat eyes. :lol: